looking to buy cnc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy cnc

I am looking to buy a table top cnc router to cut shapes to use as feature ring designs.in segmented turnings and have a couple of questions
    will it cut clean enough to use as an inlay
    will it cut 1-1/4 thick hardwood
    any suggestions on a make and model ( i found this site https://sienci.com/ )
    Thank You
    Al
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: looking to buy cnc

There are a lot of different options Al all of which will be decided based on size you need and the budget you have. Based on what you are saying I’m guessing that you are only looking to cut 12” or 16” square. Also you will need to decide if you want one that is ready to go or one you don’t mind assembling. Ready to go are typically more robust but also more expensive. Maybe you can give a few answers to those questions and it will help narrow down some of the options.
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

I purchased an XCarve 750. While I like it, I do wish I had bought the larger 1000 model.
      If I was looking for an inexpensive CNC router again, I would go with the LongMill from Sienci. I like the design of the rails, and the screw drive. My XCarve uses belts to move the router.
      I would choose the 30x30 model if its at all possible. I have always been told, you can make small things on big machines, but you can’t make big things on small machines.
      The makita router option is also good, at 10,000rpm, it has one of the lowest spindle speeds of the available options. The slowest on my Dewalt is 16000.
      The Sienci is also cheaper than what I paid for my XCarve, 3 years ago. And its from Canada.

Cheers
      Darrin

Timber Elegance
      My Etsy Store

Comment

thanks for the replies

Comment

I think a lot will depend on your budget. Don’t forget that the CNC machine is only one piece of the investment. Control software, design software and tooling can add up pretty quick. Some hobby machines come with online control and design software but others do not.

These 1 1/4” thick pieces of wood, will they have thin elaborate designs? Obviously the thicker the wood the thicker the bits should be. I would cut 1 1/4” hard wood with a 1/2” shank 1/2” bit that has a 2” cutter length (which happens to cost $100).

if you are ever in Regina and want to see mine in action let me know.

Comment

I am a Beta tester for Sienci Labs and have been very happy with my Long Mill. I would stand it up against any machine out there. Its very versatile and very sturdy. If you don't have the space to store it on a table you can put it on a hinge and fold it up against the wall to save work space. Then bring it down when you need to use it. Or you could mount it on a french cleat and use it in the vertical plane. Only caveat to that is using a pulley system with about 10 pounds on each side to help the stepper motors out with the gantry weight. It would not suffer any ill effects from doing that. I'm actually considering that with mine. The LongMill is open source so you can use any of the commercially available software that is out there. Unlike some of the other machines. Sienci Labs has built their own as well CamLabs that you can use for free.
            https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

thanks Greg

Comment

Your very welcome. Chris and Andy the cofounders of Sienci Labs are both very helpful too. They have a Facebook group and a forum on their site.
                https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Working...
                X