Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having the split-point option on my Drill Doctor , is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having the split-point option on my Drill Doctor , is it worth it?

Did a drill bit sharpening session tonight on my Drill Doctor

Most drill bits I use are hss for metal working & I'm wondering if it is worth doing the split point ( option ) on the machine.

What's the advantage of having a split point on my drill bits?

I use these bits mostly on my drill press & on the metal lathe.

Thanks for your input
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Having the split-point option on my Drill Doctor , is it worth it?

I can't comment on split point but for lathe use you should start your holes with real center drills. Make sure to remove the tit first!
    Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob

Yeah , I usually remove it carefully w the facing tool prior to using a center drill.

Comment

split point helps the drill, drill easier. On a normal grind the web thickness is what takes the brunt of the wear from drilling because there is zero cutting edge on the web so you are forcing the web through the material while cutting around it. The split point reduces the web thickness at the point helping it drill with less pressure. In smaller bits (maybe 5/16 and less) the web thickness is already small enough won’t effect much. If you took a 1/2 bit one split the other normal and drilled into steel without a pilot you would feel a significant difference.

In wood you will see no difference.

For drilling metal i always grind a split point.

Comment

Split point is good when drilling thin sheet metal, were a normal ground drill will jamb and twist the metal as soon as the bit breaks through the metal, with a split point bit the drill will cut through at the outer edge of the hole first and not even need to cut all the metal away to make the hole, as for larger bits having the point hard to go through, one should always start with a small bit, and go larger after that.

The spli point bit is harder to start and one should really use a jig with a sleeve to keep the bit from hooking and deflecting and possible breaking, we used these bits to drill holes for special options on cars and would clamp a jig to reliable drill at the right location every time, with a clean opening as a result and with handheld air powered drills, without arms and wrists twisted doing this.
          Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM.

Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
            Split point is good when drilling thin sheet metal, were a normal ground drill will jamb and twist the metal as soon as the bit breaks through the metal, with a split point bit the drill will cut through at the outer edge of the hole first and not even need to cut all the metal away to make the hole, as for larger bits having the point hard to go through, one should always start with a small bit, and go larger after that.

The spli point bit is harder to start and one should really use a jig with a sleeve to keep the bit from hooking and deflecting and possible breaking, we used these bits to drill holes for special options on cars and would clamp a jig to reliable drill at the right location every time, with a clean opening as a result and with handheld air powered drills, without arms and wrists twisted doing this.
            I think the type of drill you describe to be an annular type cutter.

If you look up the drill dr split point specs it appears to be in line with my interpretation of drill type.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The main noticeable advantage of a split point on metal is to reduce wandering. If using a center punch dimple with standard grind you will not notice much difference.

Comment

Working...
              X