Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy a used oxy/acetylene torch set or invest in a new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a used oxy/acetylene torch set or invest in a new one?

I am actively looking for a complete set of (torch, tank, cart ) oxy/acet. torch for heating and brazing. I have no plans to cut or bend heavier the 1/2" steel so a medium duty torch would be ideal, now the question is, would you invest on a new set for the torch or are you comfortable to buy a used set on Kijiji? I would love to get my hands on NOS Victor or Harris that's made in USA but the Chinese Victor sets are not getting bad reviews so at least there is hope if I don't find a genuine set.

For a used set my budget is $500+, and for new I have no idea but need to find that out, the good thing about a new torch is ,I don't have to worry about dried up "O" rings or leaky diaphragm for a long time(hobby use) but it'll cost up front..so please let me know your thoughts.
    Thank you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Would you buy a used oxy/acetylene torch set or invest in a new one?

As far as I know you can't buy the tanks. You have to rent them. I would confirm that before I bought a set with tanks.

Comment

I have a few sets, Victor, Smith, Oxweld and Harris. Bought my Oxweld used with 175 ft of hose and used it for a couple of years without issue, broke one knob, took it to Dixie Torch and had it rebuilt along with the gauges cost about $300.00 Owner at Dixie torch indicated the older brand names are well constructed vs newer off brand torches.
      There seem to be a number of used torch sets available on Marketplace or Kijiji, If gauges and hoses look decent and torch functions well I would take a chance on an older brand name set. See them for less than $100.00 often. TSC has medium size tanks you can purchase outright,

For heating a rosebud tip is nice, brazing , steel welding a few tip sizes should fix you up. i think the cutting head is the most problematic part of the torch.
      Kayhan and iamtooler like this.

Comment

I would buy used.
        If you go into praxair they can point you in the direction of a guy that can rebuild them.
        I have used him before but I lost his contact info(when an old phone died).

Nathan

Comment

If you want to own your tanks, if you aren't doing a ton of work, if the work you do isn't heavy duty, and you'd like to buy new .... have a look at plumber's sets. They come with tanks, hoses, torches and a carrying case. I have a Forney plumber's set, bought new about eight years ago. The plumber's set has handled every job that I have come across in my part time small engine business ... there's nothing it hasn't been able to handle. Prior to that I had a Victor set that I bought when I was about 14 (almost fifty years ago), and they were just worn out. I expect the plumber's set to go for sale in my estate sale in about 25 years

Comment

Thank you all for your comments so far, I used to see more older sets on Kijiji when I wasn't looking to buy, and often the torches were older industrial duty,( not that I'm after a heavy duty set) but now maybe one or two USA made ones are for sale , so you all think buying used is alright as long as they are of known brands .
            For sure I want my own tanks, and I want them reasonably bigger than the mini portable sets , the torch/regulator set is what concerns me the most, don't mind to pay good money but maybe I'll try LWS Praxair like Nathan said, I bought a MIg bottle from them a couple of years go and they seemed very knowledgeable.
            John , I always wanted to have an oxy/acetylene set, have 4-5 different torches(all small/propane, Butane/Mapp) but now that I want to go big, my heart is set for nothing but Oxy/acetylene .
            Last edited by Kayhan; 11-23-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Kayhan View Post
              John , I always wanted to have an oxy/acetylene set, have 4-5 different torches(all small/propane, Butane/Mapp) but now that I want to go big, my heart is set for nothing but Oxy/acetylene .
              Oxy/Acetylene is what my plumbers kit is. It does exactly what my old big set did . Here's what I have been using in my shop for the last eight years doing power equipment repair :

EDIT :: don't forget that when you go bigger than plumbers oxy/acet, the annual tank rental can be quite high. As I recall, my last pair of big tanks for my previous shop was about $220/year for the pair.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plumbers.PNG Views:	0 Size:	547.7 KB ID:	1259697
              Last edited by John Bartley; 11-23-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Oxy/Acetylene is what my plumbers kit is. It does exactly what my old big set did . Here's what I have been using in my shop for the last eight years doing power equipment repair :

EDIT :: don't forget that when you go bigger than plumbers oxy/acet, the annual tank rental can be quite high. As I recall, my last pair of big tanks for my previous shop was about $220/year for the pair.

I thought you meant plumbers acetylene torch, .
                How did you have those small tanks filled? did they swap them with what ever the LWS had available in that size? or fill them at the store while you waited?
                There's a Union Carbide complete set close to where I am, is about the size you are talking about ,comes with a dolly,4 tips and some other stuff , the seller wanted $550, I passed mainly b/c the oxygen tank looked way too small:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1473124794

I believe TSC sells different sizes of welding gas bottles, I'll have to check it out.
                Last edited by Kayhan; 11-23-2019, 10:38 PM.

Comment

The plumbers tanks are a defined size. All you do is take then anywhere that oxy/acet is sold, and then exchange them for the same size. I bought my Forney welding set at Home Hardware and I get my tanks exchanged at Air-Liquide.
                  Kayhan likes this.

Comment

Working...
                  X