Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alba Metal Shaper

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    Carlos, I am pretty excited about getting it running. I did google Goliath, if I get more desperate I will contact them, I haven’t exhausted all avenues yet, I guess I could single point on the lathe too, I did grind a tool bit somewhere for BSW. I do want to get back to machining projects after this.
    There are some incredible home made examples of shapers, I hope you do start your build soon.
    Would love to see updates to your rebuild. If you can single point a BSW thread your lathes skills are a little ahead of mine. I have mountains of good quality SAE and Metric, if I had a BSW I'd lend it to you through the mail.

Yes there are many Gingery fans that have built versions of his shaper. The best one I have seen was on "The Frugal Machinist" site many years ago. The site no longer exists except on the "Wayback Machine", fortunately I have the majority of his site in word docs. Here are a couple of pictures of his version. This guy had his casting down to an art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frugal Machinist 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1273526

Name:	Frugal Machinist 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1273527

As far as I go I will be committed once I start to make the patterns. This year? Maybe. I have a number of projects that have precedence and I would like to practice my casting a little more on a few small tools and ideas. I would like to improve my molding sand mix, I am currently using playbox sand, it's not as finely screened as I would like, and my molding practice could stand for some improvement.

My wire brushed castings for the twin-belt sander/grinder.

Name:	46.JPG
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1273528

There is a test that molding apprentices used to do. It involved molding and casting a saucer with a cup and spoon. A complicated mold with three boxes and lots of free hand sand shaping. On a whim while testing my furnace I cast a saucer with some screwdrivers, laughable compared to the real procedure but it gave me an idea of the finish I could achieve. These are just wire brushed after cutting and smoothing out the gates and riser.

Name:	204.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1273529

Name:	Cast Handles 1.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1273530

Name:	206.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1273531

Here is an example of the test I mentioned only this guy is really full of himself , he took a difficult problem and stepped it up a level adding a supporting hand to the saucer, cup, and spoon.

Name:	Hoosier-Pattern.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1273532

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
    Working...
    X