• Show
Clear All

• Martin T17 Breakdown

Time to get at the Martin.
    jgarrett forsberg likes this.
    www.solidwoodmachinery.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Martin T17 Breakdown

There is a T17 and two T75s on ebay. The T75s belong to Darcy. I've never seen that many old Martins for sale at one time. Looking forward to the thread and your riving knives will be on the way in a day or two. Dave

Comment

This looks good.
      Nice machine, Mark.
      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I never realized how much sawdust you could pack in a Martin. So, making progress in the breakdown, Lots of bits and pieces.

Comment

I most definitely like the older stuff . Will be following along
          everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
          English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by hennebury View Post
            I never realized how much sawdust you could pack in a Martin. So, making progress in the breakdown, Lots of bits and pieces.
            Looking forward to this Mark. I was too nervous to take everything apart on the T23 at the same time but can see where that would save a lot of time. I took a lot of phone pictures but still missed certain details that were confusing to me when going back together. I will be paying close attention to how you approach this.

The cast top looks heavier than the shaper. Did it have the locating pins?

Comment

Hi Joe,
              There certainly are a lot of parts when you start dismantling it. Hopefully going back together will be assisted by the photos if i get stuck. The top is pretty heavy for sure, i certainly wouldn't want to slip and have it fall on me. It did have two locating pins in it.
              Last edited by hennebury; 07-13-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

And yet more sawdust!

Comment

Comment

Mark, you are a pro! You would have laughed at me dressing my hand wheel on a little vintage delta lathe. The parts for the tilt are very similar to the shaper tilt.
                    I don't see any rust. That is a good thing.

Comment

Hi Joe, That's a seriously heavy chunk of a handwheel. It took some time but cleaned up nice, It was after seeing yours that made me polish mine. There isn't any rust on the machine so far the only thing that i see that is damaged is the shaft and pivot pin on the scoring saw, and i cant think how anyone would have bent them as they are tucked in under the table.

Comment

Getting down to the end.

Comment

Mark it appears that that spring assisting really puts ware on the sprocket and chain and with the amount of dust that you seem to have inside that cabinet I imagine that helps with the wearing of parts as well . Is anything suffering because of it ?
                          everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                          English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Mark,

Though I never have the time, I would luv to be your assistant on a project like this. You have lots to teach/share.

Comment

Hi Jack, there is a surprising amount of sawdust but I haven't checked anything for wear yet.

I haven't seen any other problems that jumped out yet other than the scoring saw. Everything appears to be in very good shape. The main saw spindle bearings seem in great condition. The motor bearings were rough. The spindle looks to be in great shape and so far i have had no problems taking anything apart, nothing jammed, dinged up or rusted on, all the pulleys etc have come off easy. so far it looks to be in good shape and doesn't looked like it has been mucked with by anyone. It is always a concern that things have been broken and badly repaired, but this looks to be a clean machine. Of course i wont really know until i get everything cleaned, checked and start to reassemble.

Comment

Working...
                              X