Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what this is for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me what this is for?

What is a blower fan used for exactly? Did it have its place in a ww shop, or was it for a blacksmith's shop?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-electr...ationFlag=true
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Can someone explain to me what this is for?

That is an old style furnace fan with an even older motor on it. These days the motor is inside the squirrel fan. They are good to make an air filter with for a wood shop. I gave away a saw like that last year, labeled rockwell, I think it may swing an 8'' blade.
    Rob

Comment

The table saw is a Beaver 1200. IMHO not the best thing Beaver ever made. It does use 8" blades. The other item is indeed a furnace fan. Lots of people, like me, make an air cleaner for the shop by building a cabinet around it and putting a furnace filter in front. Mine and many others are placed up high to clear airborne dust in the shop. Low tech and moderately effective. They appear every time someone replaces their furnace. Unless it's mint I would say $75 is a bit rich.
      Last edited by Bobmezz; 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
      I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
      Bob
      Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

I should say that I did recognize the table saw, sorry my question lacked precision, but I really was puzzled about the blower, Your explanations are very clear and helpful. This forum is so educational. Thank you!

Love the splayed legs on that stand.
        Last edited by sophien; 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If your shop gets a bit warm in the summer, and if you can find one of those furnace fan blowers cheap somewhere, they make great air circulators. Just stick one in an open door or window and blow the warm air out. They're also great for getting rid of dust or smoke the same way.

cheers

Comment

the blower motor looks to be a leland ri motor, pretty old. those motors were used on many beaver and henry power tools

the blower motor probably came from the tablesaw!
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

In rural Canada (or maybe just on the prairies), we have town-wide meetings at the local Walmart (okay, the dump) every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and Saturdays. If you wait until a lull, you can pick one up for free. A great source of fractional HP motors (since they have been inside their whole lives); often replaced when 2-speeds are needed for a newer furnace/air conditioner system. I have one that is quite useful in the basement to blow fresh air into the back storage room after a wet spell.
              Last edited by Earl Westman; 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Westman View Post
                In rural Canada (or maybe just on the prairies), we have town-wide meetings at the local Walmart (okay, the dump) every Tuesday and Thursday evening, and Saturdays. If you wait until a lull, you can pick one up for free. A great source of fractional HP motors (since they have been inside their whole lives); often replaced when 2-speeds are needed for a newer furnace/air conditioner system. I have one that is quite useful in the basement to blow fresh air into the back storage room after a wet spell.
                Your town dump sounds like a weekly treasure trove. Wish my town had a good old fashioned dump. The next town eastward has an organized eco center. Good in many ways, but not exactly exhilarating.

Comment

Exactly. And the antiques get set out beside the "burn pit" so that you can grab them before its too late.

Comment

Working...
                  X