Beaver 3800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver 3800

I have 3 X Beaver 3800 and I just sold one today, so I am keeping the best one for me, but I have to remove the belt, it will not fit on my stand, way too short, how do you remove the belt, looks pretrty complicated, do I have to remove the cutters holder??
    Merci for your help
    Jacques
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beaver 3800

yes, the cutterhead has to come out, unless you just cut the belt.
    it's not a nice job!

remove the knives.
    loosen the two set screws in the top of the casting above the bearings.
    remove the bearing holders by turning the slothead screws under the bearing holders, basically until they fall out
    reach up under the machine and wiggle,curse, wiggle some more, curse some more and the cutterhead will come out

reinstalling it requires more cursing and more wiggling and getting the belt back around the pulley. the pulley is one piece with the cutterhead

dont try it with the knives installed unless you have lots of bandaids and a nurse handy

the 3800 is a great candidate for a link belt unless the bearings need to be repacked
    Last edited by stevem; 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM.
    sophien and gojaysgo2013 like this.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that even if you cut the belt OFF, you still have to remove everything to put a new one ON?

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Better to buy a link belt.. .Cheapest one is Harbour Freight in US. Otherwise it is Lee valley or Busy Bee.
        I put 2 on my General 130 planer and it is much quieter and smoother.
        Mike

Comment

OK, will try the link belt this week-end and let you know the result.
          Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
            Better to buy a link belt.. .Cheapest one is Harbour Freight in US. Otherwise it is Lee valley or Busy Bee.
            I put 2 on my General 130 planer and it is much quieter and smoother.
            Mike
            Mike, I just took a look at Busy Bee, and they have 3 types: B/5L 5/8'', 3L 3/8'' and A/4L 1/2'', do you know wich one I need .

Comment

Jacques,
              That will depend on the size of the pulleys used. If you are using the pulleys currently in use then just get the same size.
              I used 1/2" on my planer and the same on my Beaver bandsaw which now belongs to a friend.
              Next time I go to the US I will be visiting Harbor Freight again...with some sort of coupon, usually minimum of 20%!!
              Mike

Comment

the pulley is one piece with the cutterhead. its a 4L 1/2 inch belt
                Roy in Thunder Bay likes this.
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

This is what I have right now, it is 1/2'' wide but don't know if it is 4 L Click image for larger version

Name:	link  belt.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	1123251 or not, but will give it a try tomorrow morning , I am taking a break from doing my fire wood.
                  Last edited by Jacques Leclerc; 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Jacques you are gonna be amazed! A tip , turn it inside out to connect or unconnect the links, it is MUCH easier. My plan is to have all my belts changed out if possible.
                    Mike

Comment

Ok will give it a try, thanks and have a nice week-end
                      Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
                        This is what I have right now, it is 1/2'' wide but don't know if it is 4 L Click image for larger version

Name:	link  belt.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	1123251 or not, but will give it a try tomorrow morning , I am taking a break from doing my fire wood.
                        Well this link belt did not fit, it was a little bit wider that 1/2'', don't know where I got that from, so ordered 7' link belt from Busy Bee and it worked like new, the jointer was given to me along with other tools by Rob Anderson, and he told me that the jointer had new bearing, so did not have to remove the cutter head and I was not planning to do it, looks like a big job, any how the jointer is in perfect shape and has the guard and the extension, Rob used to be on this forum and moved on the west coast, don't know if he is still on this forum.
                        Jacques

Comment

Working...
                        X