Porter No. 405 Planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Porter No. 405 Planer

Amazingly - the motor sounds great all things considered. I didn't run it much due to uncertainty with the existing motor bearings/grease/lubrication. I had previously bought a 7.5hp VFD and decided to try to fire it up. My existing service running to my detached shop from the house is fine for my 5hp machines but technically inadequate for 7.5hp. Despite that I wanted to see if it could get the motor started. It fired right up. I was expecting worse considering how crusty this planer is from the outside.

https://vimeo.com/327714170
    scooby074 and nnieman like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The vfd will let you bend some rules there due to soft start etc.

I just re-read this and it seems you're making out ok considering the time spent in less than ideal conditions. You'll still want to strip everything I think and look very closely at all the bearings unfortunately. It's a lot of work, but I think that machine's bones would justify the work.

Keep us posted! We're rootin' for ya!

B
      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

When you upload pictures please select ''full size'' so we can see them in the post.
        Rob

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190401_112412.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1231508

The drive-side cutterhead bearing is SKF #2309 and has "TC" and "NW 09" designations. They appear to be fairly clean and in decent shape. Both cutterhead bearings were in grease - not an oil bath. The feedworks-side bearing is significantly more stuck. I still haven't massaged it free yet - my largest three-jaw puller isn't doing the job pushing the cutterhead out of the bell.

Typically Porter machinery was run with oil-bath bearings, so I was a little surprised a few weeks ago when I pulled everything apart. The condition of the bearing and the overall mechanical condition of the machine imply that these are original and it was designed to be run with high-speed grease. I'm wondering if I keep flushing it with mineral spirits and attempt to repack it with grease, will it be salvageable? It's not the end of the world if not - but it would be another pleasant surprise.

I reached out to Dave already.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

SKF ETN9 would be the straight bore, EKTN9 is tapered bore. They will be polymide cage. There are a few brass cage 2309 on ebay but they are more expensive and harder to find than the ETN9. $100-150 USD NOS Ebay. I'm guessing the TC refers to the cage material ( maybe steel ). W I don't know unless the width is different from regular 2309. Dave

Comment

Just keep taking it apart. Literature? We don’t need no stinkin’ literature. And once you have it apart, you don’t need no stinkin’ literature to put it back together again. Take lots of pictures, we love pictures.

Comment

A few additional pictures. I've had the upper case disassembled for a while now. Shown are the chipbreaker, pressure bar, infeed and outfeed rollers and the drive-side cutterhead/roller case. Funnily enough there was an old sleeve for a Gates belt stuffed down between the table and the main body - it's a Gates #7410 belt, which I believe is probably the belt needed to drive the cutterhead. I'll need three of them. Quick searching makes me think the length is accurate.

I also finished readying the table for removal. There's a flange with a bore that holds the shaft that accepts the gear for the feedworks tensioning rig. That flange stops the table from raising all the way up/out when you turn the handwheel and acme screws underneath. I was thinking you just screwed the table all the way up, and would then lift the table out, sort of at a diagonal, but then I thought "I should take some pictures of the inside, in case there's something I'm not seeing." Sure Enough, on the feedworks side right where that flange is there were four allen-head bolts holding it on. I removed those and the flange is loose. Due to it's width, you cannot take the flange out without removing the table first, so that will be a point I'll need to remember when reassembling everything.

Name:	IMG_20190402_220330.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1231766Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_212753.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1231767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_211549.jpg
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1231768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_210608.jpg
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1231769Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_210710.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1231770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_220353.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1231771
                  timberframe likes this.

Comment

Crusty eh? I love the before pictures of a really nasty machine, and then the cleaned up, fresh new machine.

Comment

Outfeed roll and cutterhead cleaned up and balanced. Happy with that. Infeed roll segments are interesting. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_212120.jpg
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	1235627Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_212144.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	1235628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_212208.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	1235629Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_212233.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	1235630
                      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	IMG_20190503_130639.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	1235675

Name:	IMG_20190502_212716.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	982.6 KB
ID:	1235674

Comment

There's another pic of the outfeed roller and cutterhead. Considering what I started with I'm happy. The bearings are in as well - I found brass cage bearings on ebay for $29.99 each.

Comment

Ahhh, so this is where you have been hiding out doing the restoration.... I saw your initial postings on OWWM.
                            Now I can follow along.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter G View Post
                              Ahhh, so this is where you have been hiding out doing the restoration.... I saw your initial postings on OWWM.
                              Now I can follow along.
                              I also had my Porter head balanced, though mine is less tricky - just a three-knife head and 24.25", not 30" like yours. Due to rust/pitting I needed to get it kissed on a lathe so I figured that was the time. To be completely honest I actually still have not decided if I'm going to be installing a Hermance HelixHead yet or not. The quote I got back was more economical than I imagined so I'm weighing that now. This particular head is not accessible without removing the entire upper end of the machine so it's now or never.

Comment

I got the table removed, so now I can remove the center chromed section and the bed rollers and get the table stripped and cleaned up.
                                After the table was removed I also get the entire planer off the ground so I could get the busted pallet cribbing out from under it and get proper runners under it so I can make it more accessible with a pallet jack. I then blew it off with my blower - getting loose dirt and grime off/out of it.

I am pondering how to go about removing the drive motor. It has to weigh all of 200 pounds and is bolted to a mount that mounts to the lower back side of the planer. I think unbolting the motor, then lifting the planer up overhead is my best bet to safely remove it. The bolts stick through the body of the planer and are visible from the rear. More to come - that's the next project on this thing.

Name:	IMG_20190513_170649.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1236965

Name:	IMG_20190513_173437.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1236966

Name:	IMG_20190513_173700.jpg