Which motor should I keep?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motor should I keep?

Click image for larger version  Name:	94DAE568-4266-40CD-A6AA-15B5BAE9D436.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	1149053Click image for larger version  Name:	3B13C782-B62E-4F51-B15E-5205FC2F59B6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	957.6 KB ID:	1149052Click image for larger version  Name:	F1E9283F-29C1-421E-8FB7-CC01F517F5B4.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	567.7 KB ID:	1149051Click image for larger version  Name:	3ADF2B53-2883-44BE-A694-A8C21CBD50A4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	814.2 KB ID:	1149050Click image for larger version  Name:	E9DD65E9-7688-4F9B-B023-0EDF7DDEC603.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1149049
    Hello,

Since acquiring a second Beaver 3800 recently, one that is on an original stand, I am going to post my other jointer on Kijiji. Thing is, I have this nagging feeling maybe I should hang on to the motor it originally came with. It’s huge, 220v, which currently does not run in my basement. But an old Faibanks Morse, 1.5 HP. I may or may never have a use for it, but who knows?

Attached is a picture of another motor perfect for it, a 1hp, 3750 rpm with capacitor.

I am selfishly removing the porkchop to use for the “new” jointer on original stand. For sale is the one on the home made steel stand, minus the cord and unique power bar. But newer motor, or old FM??

I am starting to have extra motors lying around, and although I am trying to keep the rat hole under control (fiancée pays half the mortgage so the insanity has to be somewhat contained for her sake), I need advice on whether the HEAVY Fairbanks Morse is a keeper or should be sold along with the jointer.

Thanks people. Thoughts, comments, advice always appreciated!

sophie
    Last edited by sophien; 11-14-2017, 11:49 AM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Which motor should I keep?

Well one motor is a 1725 RPM and the other one is a 3450 while the pulleys look to be of similar size. Jointer cutter heads usually run at speeds in the 4400 RPM range (could vary) so the two jointers must have a noticeable difference in speed, unless the pulley on the cutter head is also of different size on each machine. Just make sure of how that works out before swapping motors. I agree that having a spare is always nice, and 1.5 hp is pretty well the biggest you can run on 110 volts. Being dual voltage and easily reversible adds to its potential versatility.
    Last edited by guylavoie; 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM.
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

No question, I would keep the older repulsion induction motor as they have plenty of torque for your jointer and the extra mass will help with vibration, etc.
      nnieman likes this.
      Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

1 1/2 horse and 1725 for sure. The other motor is really for a table saw. I can't believe you have 2 3800's, both with the extensions. The second one should be an easy sell.
        I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
        Bob
        Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

Originally posted by Bobmezz View Post
          1 1/2 horse and 1725 for sure. The other motor is really for a table saw. I can't believe you have 2 3800's, both with the extensions. The second one should be an easy sell.
          Bob, it took patience and a long treck! And I’ll admit, a bit of an obsessive nature, the sickness that inflicts us enamoured with vintage tools....I check Kijiji very often, and it pays off

Thanks for the advice!

Sophie

Comment

I'd keep the older one myself.... of course I have a bunch of old motors so maybe I'm just a hoarder lol

Nathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

i love old motors, older the better, repulse induction is a plus and lower speed is a plus at least in my book

if you're selling the jointer, put a regular newer motor on it, anything will do as long as it works well, 1/2 to 1 hp is plenty. most buyers will not have any interest in an older motor.

just make sure the pulley size is correct for best performance. my 3800 has an 8 inch on it, of course the cutterhead pulley cant be changed. a 3450 rpm motor would use a 4 inch pulley

im like nathan, gotta bunch of old motors, but i like to upgrade when i get the chance to even older and or more powerful. but most of my spares are small; 1/3 to 1/2 hp
              Last edited by stevem; 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM.
              sophien likes this.
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
              X