Ideal speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal speed

I am restoring an old Walker Turner 16'' band saw and would like to know the ideal speed for the saw, planning to put either a 1.5hp or 2hp 220volts 1750rpm.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ideal speed

I have often heard about 1000 sfpm. You can go much faster but you probably don't need to. Interested in hearing what others say on this.
    Steve The Drill Sergeant
    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

that saw has a gear box doesn't it?

so is "ideal speed" a middle of the road speed, IE range from 250sfpm - 2000sfpm (depending on range box) or will you be setting it up for single speed?

also, for those in the know, what is the "ideal speed" ideal for? hardwood, softwood, resawing, curves/scroll stuff, ripping, etc?

I have ZERO knowledge, just curious myself
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Hi Jacques, consider getting a 3 phase motor and a VFD. That way you can vary your SF/M according to conditions and even motor brake the saw for added safety.
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
          that saw has a gear box doesn't it?

so is "ideal speed" a middle of the road speed, IE range from 250sfpm - 2000sfpm (depending on range box) or will you be setting it up for single speed?

also, for those in the know, what is the "ideal speed" ideal for? hardwood, softwood, resawing, curves/scroll stuff, ripping, etc?

I have ZERO knowledge, just curious myself
          No more gear box, I took it out, wanted to have this saw just for wood, I already have a hack saw Jet Captain.

Comment

For wood cutting I would’ spin your wheels about 1100 RPM. This will give you a surface feet per minute of about 4500. That’s approximately the ideal for resaw . The ubiquitous 14 inch bandsaw’s run about 3700 ft./m. So I wouldn’t spin slower than that
            Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 12-08-2017, 07:06 AM.
            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
            English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
              For wood cutting I would’ spin your wheels about 1100 RPM. This will give you a surface feet per minute of about 4500. That’s approximately the ideal for resaw . The ubiquitous 14 inch bandsaw’s run about 3700 ft./m. So I wouldn’t spin slower than that
              Merci Jacques and have a nice week-end
              Jacques

Comment

Working...
              X