Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VFD for a Wysong Miles 321 mortiser

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
    You donít replace parts that are worth a dollar. Modern VFDís are basically made of three chipboards. Generally most the time on board diagnostics tells us which board has failed if we canít visually see it . You donít need any vfd or electronic experience more than someone who is putting a board in a tower computer.Undo a few small screws unclip the ribbon cables and youíre back in business. The manufacture just ship a new board Even after warranty. Ask Nathan how easy it was for the board that got smashed when he dropped his feeder on the VFD was to fix ? Matt Matt may actually have a video of replacing a board in about 10 minutes.
    Jacks absolutely right.
    I dropped a board on mine & smashed the controls and board.
    I got a new one, dropped it in and it was good to go.

Nathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Yes I have replaced several boards from spares, nothing to it on 20 year old drives, the caps and diodes are a little trickier. The question that was asked was about enhanced functionality, nothing to do with repairs, and I for one would like the answer;

Originally posted by playsk8r View Post
      Interesting. What sort of programming can you do with the Chinese drives? Beyond changing parameters to configure the drive to the motor if it's sensorless vector, setting up remote on/off stations, E-stop, a pot for speed control and a HZ or RPM display, what more programming could you want?

Comment

Most are also vsd . Of course I can get a board 8 days it will do everything that you want the pretty basic stuff. You can have it programmed for all kinds of specific Motor loads which I imagine better old drives might have ? what you need to program Is some experience with old . just isnít any support for old drives you have to find used parts. Boards are very inexpensive for the new . Youíre also compatible and Can master each other so that youíre not got to control only one pads for machines with multiple VFDís Like tablesaws with scoring blades molding machines with multiple motors . There certainly far more protective of themselves then old drives . Drives going to operate more than one Motor simultaneously or individually with disconnecting switches on the three phase side is no problem . Although there so cheap I will get a VFD for each motor so the systems is far more redundant . Pretty cheap Rob buy one and find out for yourself .
        Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 01-12-2018, 04:08 PM.
        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

But the question was what will a new drive do that a simpler one will not when retrofitting wood working machines that already have all the switch gear. Obviously electronics have a life span and things like capacitors may degrade after 20 years and the new ones are cheap, but being smaller, lighter, bluetooth enabled etc. are of zero value to run an old machine. I no longer do much work for others and I am working through selling a bunch of Square D drives I still have in stock but I no longer recommend people buy old drives on ebay because new small drives are so cheap to buy brand new. My customers expect me to install a drive in their shop and program it to work with a minimum of button pushings and options and flashing LEDs, they rarely want variable speed once the machine is set up, they just want on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            But the question was what will a new drive do that a simpler one will not when retrofitting wood working machines that already have all the switch gear. Obviously electronics have a life span and things like capacitors may degrade after 20 years and the new ones are cheap, but being smaller, lighter, bluetooth enabled etc. are of zero value to run an old machine. I no longer do much work for others and I am working through selling a bunch of Square D drives I still have in stock but I no longer recommend people buy old drives on ebay because new small drives are so cheap to buy brand new. My customers expect me to install a drive in their shop and program it to work with a minimum of button pushings and options and flashing LEDs, they rarely want variable speed once the machine is set up, they just want on and off.
            New drives are not restricted to old machines and most machine now have touchscreen control. Iím contemplating operating my number four blower and air lock with a 10 hp vfd In a building that is about 25 feet away.
            Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 01-12-2018, 06:04 PM.
            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
            English machines

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post

You have to look at them like any other electronics. As good as Grandmaís 78ís were on the needle they just didnít have any comparison to Hi fidelity. In your generation I will compare them to a flip phone over a touchscreen . They will completely run a CNC
              My wells-Index runs of a automation direct GS-1(a basic v/hz entry level VFD) and a PlanetCNC USB controller(okay obviously a super massive simplification but my point still stands).

I respect you jack, but you still haven't, as far as I can tell answered my question about what functionality high end VFD's have for repowering woodworking machinery. As for the video posted, when we set up the wells-index, we did the same thing to translate a signal from the CNC software into proper speed control for the VFD running the mill.
              Last edited by playsk8r; 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM.
              The mountaineers gathered timber
              Piled high
              In which to take along.
              Driving many miles, knowing they'd get here.

When they got here, all exhausted
              On the roof leaks they got started
              And now when the rain comes
              We can be thankful
              Roscoe- Midlake

Comment

There are no Advantages to them but ones I listed like support , parts , price For the same price you can use an old drive If you donít need any of those things . I never said anything about high-end VFD

jack
                English machines

Comment

My experience with parts for cheap electronics is that once a batch of spares is gone you have to toss the item. The design changes with every new batch of components made and mass market goods are too expensive to service. I am into high end audio and most of the components are hand assembled by one person from selected parts. These things can be maintained indefinitely. Any thing with a chip in it is at the mercy of a manufacturer who will make a run of how ever many and then move onto the next generation, never to return to an older version.

Comment

Totally agree with that Rob I refer to the new VFDĎs as expendable as capacitors for Motorís. Completely Replace them and toss them out. They really are That inexpensive. The Manufacture we sell for offer single phase VFDĎs and Iím tempted to buy one just to try it out. Theyíre pretty expensive still and you have to modify start circuits on the Single phase motor but we do get a lot of customers asking for them. At current itís still cheaper to replace the motor with a three phase. Iíd also like to try out one of the high-speed spindles as they seem very inexpensive.
                    Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 01-12-2018, 08:35 PM.

jack
                    English machines

Comment

Hey, Chad,

My advice at this juncture is to bite the bullet and get an RPC. If you don't then you'll fall into the trap of having to purchase a separate VFD for each of the high-quality, 3-phase machines that are undoubtedly in your future!

Originally posted by chadallen View Post
                      Hello everyone! 1st post over here.

I am looking to get a VFD for my Wysong Miles 321 mortiser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mortiser tag.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	695.4 KB
ID:	1158301

Would a 2hp 7amp VFD be sufficient? or should I go for a 3hp?

I do have a 3hp 10.5amp Teco FM50 running a 2hp 6amp Etchemin tenoner.

"At some point down the road I would like to get a RPC installed but would just

like to get this machine up and running asap without spending much $$$.

I am looking at one of the cheapo HuanYang VFD's on Ebay, does anyone have

one of these? are they decent enough?

any help would be appreciated on the world VFD's

Chad"
                      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                        Hey, Chad,

My advice at this juncture is to bite the bullet and get an RPC. If you don't then you'll fall into the trap of having to purchase a separate VFD for each of the high-quality, 3-phase machines that are undoubtedly in your future!

He already ordered a vfd Marty, we are hoping he lets us know when it arrives and how easy it is to use. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/322737388045?ul_noapp=true
                        Rob

Comment

He already ordered a vfd Marty, we are hoping he lets us know when it arrives and how easy it is to use. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/322737388045?ul_noapp=true
                          Rob
                          I most definitely will! Thanks again everyone!

Comment

My experience with parts for cheap electronics is that once a batch of spares is gone you have to toss the item. The design changes with every new batch of components made and mass market goods are too expensive to service. I am into high end audio and most of the components are hand assembled by one person from selected parts. These things can be maintained indefinitely. Any thing with a chip in it is at the mercy of a manufacturer who will make a run of how ever many and then move onto the next generation, never to return to an older version.
                            It's good to hear that old audio equipment is serviceable. I have some old, hand made British kit that I still love and would like to keep alive.

WRT the topic at hand, I expect there may be an element of planned obsolescence in the decision to move to another board/chip configuration/design too. I feel for the person who bought a product very shortly before they flipped the switch to a new/different product.
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Name:	20180119_133004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1160651
                              VFD arrived earlier this week. Install went well, instruction were easy to understand. The empty
                              box on top is where the on/off switch will go.

Comment

Name:	20180119_133150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1160655
                                If anyone wants more pictures lemme know.

Comment

Working...
                                X