Camel back drill press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camel back drill press

I know .... no pictures - didn't happen.

I need my head examined!

I just bought a Champion Blower and Forge camel back drill press. It appears to have been used and stored indoors for it's entire life until it ended up at a scrap yard last week. I'll get it home next week and then I'll post a couple of pictures.

It's complete with everything including all the handles, flat belts, idler pulleys, bases, tables and the only thing missing is the motor .... I have one (or more). Paid $50.....seemed fair.

cheers
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Camel back drill press

Must be a small one if a scrap yard sold it for 50$. Looking forward to pics, does it have the fast and loose pulley?
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
      Must be a small one if a scrap yard sold it for 50$. Looking forward to pics, does it have the fast and loose pulley?
      Rob
      Hehehe ... Rob, you've asked a question that I cannot answer .... because I know nothing about these units, absolutely nothing. All I can say is that it looks complete except for the electric motor.

Edit : it stands about six feet or seven feet tall and "looks" very similar to this one (not mine) :

Click image for larger version  Name:	81946be4a42592e62121c120d566fc2f--drills-workshop.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	1159099
      Last edited by John Bartley; 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

And that is a perfect example of missing the ''fast and loose'' pulleys!

Comment

looking forward to your pictures! I have a camel back attached to my lineshaft. Good save at $50
          Last edited by washboard; 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
            And that is a perfect example of missing the ''fast and loose'' pulleys!
            MIne uses an electric motor, and the motor mount and drive pullies are there complete (only the motor missing), so because mine is driven uniquely and is not part of a multiple drive system, I should not need the "fast and loose" pullies? Maybe the unit was not originally equipped with them?

Back on the farm we had a wind powered machine shop and water pump with a line belt drive system. There was a knife grinder, a bench grinder, and fan for a forge etc, etc (I was pretty young to remember it all). I assume that was the sort of system where these pullies would be seen?

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
              ...Back on the farm we had a wind powered machine shop and water pump with a line belt drive system. There was a knife grinder, a bench grinder, and fan for a forge etc, etc (I was pretty young to remember it all). I assume that was the sort of system where these pullies would be seen?
              Yes, with the line shaft turning all the time (well, when there was wind anyway) each machine should have a pair of loose and fast pulleys. The fast pulley is 'fast'ened to the shaft driving the machine. The loose pulley is not. When the machine is not in use the flat belt is shifted to the loose pulley, and the machine slows to a stop, with just the loose pulley spinning. When the machine is to be used the flat belt is shifted to the fast pulley, which is fastened to the same shaft as the cone pulley, and everything turns.

I'd love to have a flat belt driven system (not much room and no skills to set one up ). We had a flat belt driven drill press where I did my apprenticeship - I love the click clack of the join in the belt as it goes over the pulleys.

Cheers, Vann.
              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Here's a pikkie of a mortiser that used to be flat belt driven. Towards the bottom left you can see that the fast pulley has been replaced or machined to take vee belts, while the loose pulley sits there unused and unloved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aFlatbelt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	1159128

I think there may be internal belts as well (as this is a Wadkin Jack would know).

At the bottom of the machine (bottom centre of pikkie) are two lugs, with square holes. These held the shifter mechanism, so that the flat belt at the back of the machine could be shifted by the operator at the front.

This sold here last week (not to me).

Cheers, Vann.
                Last edited by J Vann; 01-12-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Shifter mechanism on a Wadkin LP (driving flat-belt not shown):

Click image for larger version

Name:	aLP12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	1159130

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Nice grab John. I look forward to the pictures.
                    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

One of my Royersford 21 camel backs has a beautiful motor on a pedestal as a factory option. They obviously decided to keep the same drill in production when electric motors became available. Interestingly the other one is the same size but has a #3 morse taper quill instead of # 5 on the second one. I have not used it yet, it is 10 hp and has a 1'' chuck.
                      Rob

Comment

Looks very good congraduations
                        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
                          Nice grab John. I look forward to the pictures.
                          I take it you mean the LP Matt? There's not much progress yet (I haven't taken delivery yet), but there's a bit up on WWF http://www.woodworkforums.com/f299/w...machine-218488

I'll say no more as I've already taken this thread almost off topic .

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

There’s no off topic here. We enjoy links too.
                            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

I went over to the scrap yard, took a few pictures and then wrapped the drill up to store for a few days. Here it is in all it's grime covered glory :

Name:	DSCF1421.JPG
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1159237

Name:	DSCF1424.JPG
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1159234

Name:	DSCF1423.JPG