Wadkin EPA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin EPA

Some one put pictures of a EPA on facebook recently and I thought the tag was pretty cool. Made for wadkin by sentinel of shrewsbury.
    I have seen wadkin machines with other makers tags on like cooksley and robinson.
    Sentinel were a big engineering company who made steam wagons and locos.
    The guy who owns it got a replacement spindle from somewhere and was told it was made in 1931 which is obviously wrong because its a 'Ltd' machine.
    The test number is only 4 digits so must of been done at the sentinel works

Click image for larger version

Name:	epa2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1176490Click image for larger version

Name:	epa1.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1176489
    hennebury, Matt Matt and 3 others like this.
    www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin EPA

Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post
    Some one put pictures of a EPA on facebook recently and I thought the tag was pretty cool. Made for wadkin by sentinel of shrewsbury...
    Great spotting Wallace.

We've probably all heard the story that after the First World War, J. H. Goddard returned to full management in 1919 to find the Company with enormous order books quite beyond their limited production capacity. Sub-contractors were use to cope with the immediate situation; and one supplier was Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. of Canada.

The EPA must have been a product of a decade or two later, but I suppose sub-contracting was always an option for periods of peak demand.

I've always believed that the machines with "S" and/or "SC" in their numbers were specials. However it now seems that more likely that these letters indicate machines built for Wadkin by sub-contractors. So does the "S" stand for "Sentinel" and the "SC" for "Sub-Contractor"? Probably not (but isn't speculation fun).

The stamping on that Wadkin tag is certainly different to the standard Wadkin tag. The large letters coupled to smaller digits stand out.

Wallace's post has prompted me to look more closely at tag photos I've rejected from the Wadkin by Test Number thread.

This one has a date instead of a Test Number, and there's no indication of machine type - but it's off a spindle moulder, so it's probably an EP or EQ.

Name:	EP:EQ 139S.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1176686

This (below) is on EPA 1046S stamped in the same style as Wallace's EPA - so I'm guessing it's also a Sentinel product, although it has what appears to be a "normal" Test number: 5549.

Name:	EPA 1046S.jpg
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1176687

And here is EPA 1406S, again stamped in the same style as Wallace's EPA - this time with an SC Test Number : SC4602. And with a "Manufactured by Sentinel" tag as well .

Name:	EPA86.jpg
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1176688
    All three of these machines are located within an hours drive of me (in two different locations).

EP (and EQ?) machines with "S" and/or "SC" tags are not uncommon. The other type of Wadkin machine often seen with this lettering are bandsaws - DR bandsaws if I remember correctly (but I have to go help with dinner so can't check that out right now ).

Cheers, Vann.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

For that EPA1046S Could the test number not be a production date like the above? 5549 being 5th May 1949? the way that the 5s are spread apart is what makes me think that, like 5 5 49.
      J Vann likes this.

Comment

Here's another in the "large letters coupled to smaller digits" series, also manufactured by Sentinel. EPA 1205S, test SC 3553 (unfortunately I didn't record where this photo came from).

Name:	EPA 1205S SC3553.jpg
Size:	1,000.8 KB
ID:	1176848

And a few other "SC" tags:

Name:	ECA 124S SC5006.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	1176849Click image for larger version

Name:	DR 1206S SC4733.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1176850Click image for larger version

Name:	DR 1502S SC5852.jpg
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1176851Click image for larger version

Name:	EKA 860S SC4329 Auck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1176852Click image for larger version

Name:	MA 1545S SC6377.jpg
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	1176853Click image for larger version

Name:	MF 1474S SC6488.jpg
Size:	549.0 KB
ID:	1176854Click image for larger version

Name:	RA 1405 SC797.jpg
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1176855Click image for larger version

Name:	RJ 1010S SC1519.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1176856

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

And for what it's worth, another with "large letters coupled to smaller digits". EPA 1573S, with an SC test number - recently for sale in the United Kingdom. But there's so much paint on these tags I can't make out any more - nor whether it's made by Sentinel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EPA 1573S UK.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	1178313

Though that bottom tag is just that little bit wider - just like the "Sentinel" tags.

Edit: the seller confirms the Serial No. as being EPA 1573 S, and says the Test No. is SC 4919, and the bottom tag has "Sentinel" and "Shrewsbury" on it.

Cheers, Vann.
          Last edited by J Vann; 04-12-2018, 03:42 AM. Reason: Edit note added.

Comment

A couple more with SC test numbers.

An MF - MF 1470S, test SC6467.

Name:	SC MF 1470S SC6467 UK.jpg
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1182450

And another RA - RAA actually - with almost unreadable serial & test numbers.

Name:	SC RAA UK.jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1182449

Neither seem to fit the "large letters coupled to smaller digits" format of the confirmed Sentinel machines.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Still another with "large letters coupled to smaller digits". EPA 462S, but this time with what appears to be a date for the test number.

Name:	EPA 462 S.jpg
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	1183621

And without doubt a "Sentinel" product.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

And again another EPA 621S with again what appears to be a date - 22/1/44 - for a test number, although in this case the seller says it was "Built 2 Jan 1948". He doesn't say how he came to that conclusion (maybe he has paperwork?). Note the "large letters coupled to smaller digits".

Name:	Sentinel.jpg
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	1185189

I'm enjoying this .

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                  And again another EPA 621S with again what appears to be a date - 22/1/44 - for a test number, although in this case the seller says it was "Built 2 Jan 1948". He doesn't say how he came to that conclusion (maybe he has paperwork?). Note the "large letters coupled to smaller digits".

Name:	Sentinel.jpg
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	1185189

I'm enjoying this .

Cheers, Vann.
                  Looks to me like that test number reads 22/1/48 rather than 44 which would indicate 22 jan 1948 rather than the second of jan as the seller believes.

Comment

Originally posted by henryjeg View Post
                    Looks to me like that test number reads 22/1/48 rather than 44 ...
                    Good spotting (that'll teach me not to rush ). When I blow up the photo it looks like "46' or "48" - definitely not "44".

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Still another: EPA 917S - I can't make out the test number. Another Sentinel product. Note the "large letters coupled to smaller digits". This one is in New Zealand.

Name:	EPA Sent NZ.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1187294

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Again from New Zealand: EPA 1433S, test SC4631. The "large letters coupled to smaller digits" makes me think maybe it's another Sentinel product.

Name:	SentEPA 1433s sc4631 NZ.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1194339Click image for larger version

Name:	SentEPA 1433s.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1194340

Unfortunately the tag below the "Lubricate ball bearings..." tag is a New Zealand dealers tag, not a Sentinel tag.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Again, again from New Zealand: EPA 1286S, test SC3626. And again "large letters coupled to smaller digits" - which is looking like it's a feature of Sentinel products.

Name:	EPA1286s sc3626 NZ.jpg
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1195579

At this rate I'll have to start a "Sentinel by Test Number" list soon .

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

So what do you do when you're not making Wadkin EPA spindle moulders for Mr Goddard?

How about a nice modern steam lorry...

Name:	Sentinel Lorry.jpg
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	1196209

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Working...
                            X