Rare footage of the French Head in use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare footage of the French Head in use

The french head was a common spindle on the spindle moulder and very useful before the rotors were in use .

Click image for larger version  Name:	31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	1207766

Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 11-06-2018, 10:10 AM.
    Matt Matt, furnman and 5 others like this.
    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rare footage of the French Head in use

Very cool. I wonder how many fingers that thing claimed. Some lovely work being done in that video. I must confess though, having been brought up in the Sudbury area, French head meant something entirely different back then.
    redlee likes this.
    More stuff of mine at:
    http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim DaddyO View Post
      Very cool. I wonder how many fingers that thing claimed. Some lovely work being done in that video. I must confess though, having been brought up in the Sudbury area, French head meant something entirely different back then.
      and for only $5 behind the cigarette machine too
      Jim DaddyO likes this.
      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
      English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Those guys are real craftsmen. I wonder what they would think of computer assisted (CNC) production of intricate work.
        jgarrett forsberg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
          Those guys are real craftsmen. I wonder what they would think of computer assisted (CNC) production of intricate work.
          I love watching those Pathe videos. This is not the first one Jack has linked to. Every time I watch one of these and see a craftsman at work I think about how many skilled people were displaced by computers.

Comment

Jack there's definitely something wrong with the film, and all those guys. They appeared to have all their fingers using all that unguarded dangerous equipment. I enjoyed watching the skill of the craftsman all jokes aside. Thanx.

Comment

Cool video, the first guy had some pretty stumpy fingers.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

They would be ecstatic, I also harboured a very romantic view of craftsmanship until Diann's father drove that from my head.

We romanticize the craft, yet all they were doing was struggling to feed their family, we buy a plane at Lee Valley for less than a days wages, they spent a weeks wage on the same object.

John talked of having to make stacks of dovetailed drawers per day, simply to make a working mans wage, which wasn't enough to own a house or an automobile.

If someone had given him a CNC machine that could make dovetails, or do carvings, or keep his fingers away from an unsafe shaper application he would have been dancing in the street...........regards, Rod.

Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I love watching those Pathe videos. This is not the first one Jack has linked to. Every time I watch one of these and see a craftsman at work I think about how many skilled people were displaced by computers.
                  Now John, the people who build, commission, program and maintain computer controlled machinery are also skilled. It's just a different skill set.........Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Now John, the people who build, commission, program and maintain computer controlled machinery are also skilled. It's just a different skill set.........Rod.
                    I understand that, and I both respect their skill and admire their willingness to learn new technologies, but there's a bit of a nostalgic softy in me that thinks that at least a few of those craftsman were working there because they loved what they did. Once the machine has been programmed the work is done many times in an emotionless unloving manner instead of with a desire to create the best work possible so that they can feed their family with the pay earned from that work. Machines don't have families.

It's progress, and there's no stopping it, which is why I have all the latest computerised test equipment that is required by the chainsaw manufacturers that I represent. But I still won't use a self checkout.

cheers

Comment

They would be ecstatic, I also harboured a very romantic view of craftsmanship until Diann's father drove that from my head.

We romanticize the craft, yet all they were doing was struggling to feed their family, we buy a plane at Lee Valley for less than a days wages, they spent a weeks wage on the same object.

John talked of having to make stacks of dovetailed drawers per day, simply to make a working mans wage, which wasn't enough to own a house or an automobile.

If someone had given him a CNC machine that could make dovetails, or do carvings, or keep his fingers away from an unsafe shaper application he would have been dancing in the street...........regards, Rod.
                      You are probably right, although, if it were me, and I had learned through years of practice to become as skillful with hand tools as they are, I might regret that those skills may no longer be required. Learning computer draughting skills and computer programming just doesn't seem the same as building an intricate piece with hand tools.

Hands on work, even if it just using sand paper to smooth a gentle curve adds something that is not there when the same piece is built perfectly with robotic machines.

And where is the innovation. Some of my best work is the result of working around a flaw or a mistake that forced me to either innovate or start over.

I certainly understand the need for production and safety. I do though appreciate watching a fine craftsman at work and that is what I saw in the video.

Comment

It's an interesting subject for me. I honestly believe that there are a very large number of new woodworkers who would have never considered woodworking if they had not seen how seemingly easy it is to cut a piece of wood on a table saw. If they had to rip a chunk of oak end to end they'd most likely have walked away saying that's too hard for me. They like power tools so much that they don't even seem to see where hand tools will benefit their progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                          Cool video, the first guy had some pretty stumpy fingers.
                          He had short chubby fingers with all the fingernails, to me a sign they were never cutoff.

Comment

You are probably right, although, if it were me, and I had learned through years of practice to become as skillful with hand tools as they are, I might regret that those skills may no longer be required. Learning computer draughting skills and computer programming just doesn't seem the same as building an intricate piece with hand tools.

Hands on work, even if it just using sand paper to smooth a gentle curve adds something that is not there when the same piece is built perfectly with robotic machines.

And where is the innovation. Some of my best work is the result of working around a flaw or a mistake that forced me to either innovate or start over.

I certainly understand the need for production and safety. I do though appreciate watching a fine craftsman at work and that is what I saw in the video.
                            I also like the hand tool skills, they aren't gone, they've just been augmented with machines that take the drudge out of the work, allowing the person to explore the craft more than concentrating on simply doing repetitive tasks. Machines will simply improve and expand the range of high quality craft..............Rod.

Comment

Yes and when they got the CNC and found out they didn't have a job anymore that probably would have made them even happier. Known fact, people love to complain about having to work. There is a delusion that taking all these jobs and replacing them with machines is making the world better. With the current population growing exponentially we need all the jobs to keep the population working not not more machines to replace the people. They can even go to Mcdonalds for work anymore because of the automation they are using. The ones that don't understand this are greedy corporations and bean counters. End of mini rant.
                              Last edited by John JMK; 11-07-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X