Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare footage of the French Head in use

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I understand that, and I both respect their skill and admire their willingness to learn new technologies, but there's a bit of a nostalgic softy in me that thinks that at least a few of those craftsman were working there because they loved what they did. Once the machine has been programmed the work is done many times in an emotionless unloving manner instead of with a desire to create the best work possible so that they can feed their family with the pay earned from that work. Machines don't have families.

It's progress, and there's no stopping it, which is why I have all the latest computerised test equipment that is required by the chainsaw manufacturers that I represent. But I still won't use a self checkout.

cheers
    I'm with you John, my hobbies are wood working, old motorcycles and gardening. All are hands on sorts of hobbies. At work, the more automation the better, frees me from the drudgery of repetitive tasks.

My bikes range from a 1930 machine with acetylene lighting to a 2013 BMW, it's like comparing a small sailing ship to the starship Enterprise. Both are really fun in different ways.......Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by John JMK View Post

Yes and when they got the CNC and found out they didn't have a job anymore that probably would have made them even happier. Known fact, people love to complain about having to work. There is a delusion that taking all these jobs and replacing them with machines is making the world better. With the current population growing exponentially we need all the jobs to keep the population working not not more machines to replace the people. They can even go to Mcdonalds for work anymore because of the automation they are using. End of mini rant.
      It's not a rant John, it's a legitimate concern.

I don't consider automation something that's making the world worse, I consider it as something that can make the world better.

We're in the fourth Industrial Revolution, like the previous 3, it's very disruptive.

We may have to reconsider our definition of work, perhaps we'll work less, and volunteer more, or spend more time in continuous education modes where we "go to school" either in person or on line more.

Society will change, along with income sources, perhaps a minimum income standard will be one of the requirements in the future......Regards, Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

I'm with you John, my hobbies are wood working, old motorcycles and gardening. All are hands on sorts of hobbies. At work, the more automation the better, frees me from the drudgery of repetitive tasks.

My bikes range from a 1930 machine with acetylene lighting to a 2013 BMW, it's like comparing a small sailing ship to the starship Enterprise. Both are really fun in different ways.......Rod.

Warning .... thread diversion ...

You'd have enjoyed meeting a friend of mine who passed away recently at 90+ years. He bought his BMW boxer in Cornwall, new, in 1958? and in 2008 (as I recall) at a bike rally, he received an award from BMW Canada for being the only person in Canada, still riding the same motorcycle for 50 years. His name was Hilton Browne and he lived in Russell Ontario.

Edit : I don't suppose the name Tom Wilcox means anything to you? He used to collect old bikes and when I had to clean up mine from the farm before my parents sold, he took my '36 BSA Y13 off my hands. I haven't seen it or him since and that was 30 years ago ... He lived beside my sister in law near Tyrone and got divorced shortly after that.

Edit 2 : sorry Jack.
        Last edited by John Bartley; 11-07-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Warning .... thread diversion ...

You'd have enjoyed meeting a friend of mine who passed away recently at 90+ years. He bought his BMW boxer in Cornwall, new, in 1958? and in 2008 (as I recall) at a bike rally, he received an award from BMW Canada for being the only person in Canada, still riding the same motorcycle for 50 years. His name was Hilton Browne and he lived in Russell Ontario.

Edit : I don't suppose the name Tom Wilcox means anything to you? He used to collect old bikes and when I had to clean up mine from the farm before my parents sold, he took my '36 BSA Y13 off my hands. I haven't seen it or him since and that was 30 years ago ... He lived beside my sister in law near Tyrone and got divorced shortly after that.

Edit 2 : sorry Jack.
          Hi, I know Tom well, we're both members of the CVMG. He's a really nice guy with some really nice Indian motorcycles........Rod.

Comment

Hi, I know Tom well, we're both members of the CVMG. He's a really nice guy with some really nice Indian motorcycles........Rod.
            Yes, he was a real gentleman when I met him. His kids went to school with my niece and nephew. He showed us his collection when I took my old basket case BSA down to him, and described pouring the babbit for the mains on his '46 (?) Indian in-line 4. That was the first time I'd heard of that. He also showed us the belt drive Harley (1908?) that he rode in fair weather. He had lots of rare bikes, Excelsiors, Enfields, and even an Ariel square four. Awesome place to visit.

cheers

EDIT :: over and out ... end of diversion
            Last edited by John Bartley; 11-07-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

It's not a rant John, it's a legitimate concern.

I don't consider automation something that's making the world worse, I consider it as something that can make the world better.

We're in the fourth Industrial Revolution, like the previous 3, it's very disruptive.

We may have to reconsider our definition of work, perhaps we'll work less, and volunteer more, or spend more time in continuous education modes where we "go to school" either in person or on line more.

Society will change, along with income sources, perhaps a minimum income standard will be one of the requirements in the future......Regards, Rod.
              And who pays for this, the silver spooners that currently run things are only in it for themselves. It already takes both people in a typical household to make ends meet. Sorry Rod I'm a realist your version would have to entail a complete restructuring of the current society and completely remove greedy corporations and stupid greedy politicians with no foresight. I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Comment

I never said it was going to be easy John, and it may look nothing like what I've described.

I do believe however that it won't be the same as it is now, the world simply isn't headed on its old trajectory any longer....Rod.

Comment

"I do believe however that it won't be the same as it is now, the world simply isn't headed on its old trajectory any longer."

On this point we can both agree. Crash and burn or Eutopia, "spins the wheel and take your chances".

Comment

I enjoyed the video,that was mass production then,this is now,and yes,cnc has its place in today's world.I dispute there is no pride in cnc,I know there is,as it takes skill to programm and set up,and wood is still wood,so a great deal of skill and knowledge,and yes pride goes into cnc produced items.
                    that aside,there is still a place for small run and one off craftsmanship,as well as our hobby skills

Comment

Cool Vid. I wonder if their grandkids are working at IKEA ?
                      Having worked both manual and CNC machines both have there place, and both require some amount of training and skill. If I had the room and funds I would have a shop with both.
                      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Was it Rodney King that said can’t we just pretend.?
                        callee likes this.
                        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

haha, and here I am a computer programmer for 40+ years and trying to do woodworking and manual machining in my spare time.
                          Steve The Drill Sergeant
                          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

so thats what thats called. i have the same setup on danckaert shaper i bought with the danckaert bandsaw. has a bunch of blades/bits/knives ,whatever you would call them. i suppose this could be changed over to a 30 mm or 1 1/4" shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by dennisk View Post
                              so thats what thats called. i have the same setup on danckaert shaper i bought with the danckaert bandsaw. has a bunch of blades/bits/knives ,whatever you would call them. i suppose this could be changed over to a 30 mm or 1 1/4" shaft?
                              Wadkin tooling (1950) catalog lists them from 3/4 of an inch to 2 inches in diameter. The one shown in the video is 2 inches diameter. And probably one I would consider trying first. The tooling catalog french Head tooling metal as special and not as brutal as high-speed steel. Meaning it could be shaped with the file.
                              everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                              English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post

And who pays for this, the silver spooners that currently run things are only in it for themselves. It already takes both people in a typical household to make ends meet. Sorry Rod I'm a realist your version would have to entail a complete restructuring of the current society and completely remove greedy corporations and stupid greedy politicians with no foresight. I can't see that happening anytime soon.
                                I think a complete restructuring is what it's heading for, John.

Think of it this way. So far, automation has only increased in the number of workers its replacing, not decreased. So it's the more likely bet that automation will continue to usurp more and more jobs. That also only makes sense, since the silver spooners have one objective only - to maximize their own profit - and replacing expensive workers with cheap machines is the best way to do that. Since our technology is only improving, it stands to reason that as the technology advances to the state where it can replace more workers, the silver spooners will ever more employ it to do so, right?

Now, as more and more workers are displaced, the ranks of the unemployed and miserable will grow. Their resentment and anger will grow. But so long as most people, or even just a slim majority of people, still have a job - even if it's a miserable one that barely meets their needs - the majority will find it easier to shut up and tolerate the status quo, despite the plight of the displaced, for whom they'll give lip service sympathy.

But as automation increases and more and more workers are displaced, it will only be a matter of time until the number of displaced workers reaches that critical mass, wherein they are the majority. Once the majority is being screwed, they will inevitably rise up.

Now, I can't imagine that they would rise up and destroy the computers that displaced them. I mean, who would want those old jobs back? While during the last industrial revolution workers were known to rebel and smash the cotton gins, as a rule that's not the goal. Rather, they'll rise up to insist on some sort of new order that will allow the continued automation of work while not screwing them over so completely. What exact form that will take, I cannot say. Maybe some Star Trek like economy wherein no one gets paid for anything anymore, I dunno. But I do know that automation will take all jobs eventually, but while society will tolerate a minority being screwed out of their livelihood, the majority will not stand for that. So some sort of disruptive change will happen. I'm just glad I'll probably be too dead to see it!

Comment

Working...
                                X