Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare footage of the French Head in use

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
    Jack there's definitely something wrong with the film, and all those guys. They appeared to have all their fingers using all that unguarded dangerous equipment. I enjoyed watching the skill of the craftsman all jokes aside. Thanx.
    I doubt that the mangled guy would be shown in the video, and given the labour laws of the day, he would likely be out of work with no compensation.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
      "I do believe however that it won't be the same as it is now, the world simply isn't headed on its old trajectory any longer."

On this point we can both agree. Crash and burn or Eutopia, "spins the wheel and take your chances".
      Watch the movie "Elysium". The masses living a slum like existence, while the 0.1% live in a segregated utopia. Artificial Intelligence has the potential for bringing this kind of dystopian future to reality. If we ever succeed in creating an artificial general intelligence, or even more advanced narrow AI, the value of work will plummet. Many experts see the AI revolution as fundamentally different than the previous industrial revolutions. Where those created more jobs in the long run, AI will eliminate them with no new jobs required.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Randy unfortunately in many places its already here minus the all too dangerous AI. The human race has proven all to often it doesn't have the capability of working together, at least the past 6 or 7 thousand years, for the common good of all. Greed and personal agendas always seem to dominate. Maybe after a couple of more thousand years it might be so but personally I can't see that happening. Again Jack sorry for going completely sideways on your original topic.

Comment

Are some of us describing the Russian revolution?
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Are some of us describing the Russian revolution?
            Or the French Revolution?
            Cheers
            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Or the French Revolution?
              The real one or the imitation in Quebec? LOL [Joke folks!]
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

The real one or the imitation in Quebec? LOL [Joke folks!]
                everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

I wonder what the old fellows would have said the first time they saw a band saw, a table saw, a spindle molder, would they have complained about the skill loss in making molding planes, who made carving chisels I guess black smiths there must have been hundreds of them then along came Wadkin and now we worship them.
                  I wonder what they thought when an electric motor was put on a wood lathe.
                  We seem very selective in what we see as beneficial to us, I wonder what was the social status of those guys making that stuff and why the house of commons needed such elaborate work, it sure increased someones skill level, and so the world goes around.
                  redlee likes this.

Comment

Luddites

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
                    Brian @ Muir and mikeddd like this.

Comment

Rather than worry about being replaced by machinery has anyone tried to find someone to fill an office position. I can tell you the pickings are very slim. A friend tried to hire someone for an office job and used an employment agency. 6 weeks to find a suitable candidate at a cost of $6,500. Candidate lasted 3 weeks, found it difficult to get to work on time, making 15 to 20 phone calls a day by using the bathroom in an attempt to avoid being detected.

People don't seen to want to work anymore. I talked to a farmer last week that brings in 28 Jamaicans every year to harvest his crops.There is another farmer in Simcoe area that has a very large operation and brings in 430 Mexicans every year. I know of a trucking operation on the east coast that has 60 Jamaicans as truck drivers. They bring them in on work permits and send them to a truck driving training centre. They haul coast to coast in Canada and USA. At times he will have 50 trucks that he can not find drivers for. A large operation down the road from where I live that manufactures prestressed concrete is continually attempting to find employees and these are not minimum wage jobs.

I am sure there are goods ones out there but they are hard to find.

Brian
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Handcrafted is one thing, handcrafted with precision is another thing. Then there is the whole handcrafted using power assisted machines.

then there is perfection with automation. Computerized lights out buildings that robots fill trucks, make a dying trade so valuable, it is almost to late in the game to ever recover from. Soon, only the rich (or poor with talent) will be able to afford/possess one of a kind pieces.

The highly talented poor artists, in this day and age, need to push gently against they’re wealthy customers for equalization. It is a hard balance.

if you watch closely in the video a lot of the higher end blue-collar workers dressed like today’s engineer/Dr./lawyer with a protective apron.

as a Artist woodworker you only need about a dozen doctors and lawyers in your back pocket and you can make a very healthy living.
                        Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-09-2018, 01:36 AM.
                        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Brian IMHO this is all a result of our current schooling system and the unreal expectations it gives the students. Instead of a balanced practical approach and trying to help students find their niche in life they are pushed through with no useable life skills. Simple things like simple math or making change are a foreign thing. As an example I was talking to some people that own local businesses that are trying to hire students for part time work, the current trend is for them to just work out if they are corrected in something as simple as entering the proper info in a cash register or burning pizza, then a call from their parents telling them that the were putting to much stress on their child.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                            concrete is continually attempting to find employees and these are not minimum wage jobs.

I am sure there are goods ones out there but they are hard to find.

Brian
                            I think your last sentence says it all Brian.

They're out there, they're just not looking for work because they already have good employment................Rod.

Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

my last apprentice had this to say about work when i Asked !!! I had noticed he never broke a sweat !

Me "Did your granddad not show you how to work? I mean not skilled work like what we do here but hard work? You know like dig a hole with a shovel or mix concrete by hand ? Did you not get to know what hard work is like and the joy of being tired from physical labor?

Boy " my parents worked hard so i don't have too"

He meant it .

Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 11-09-2018, 09:32 AM.
                              scooby074, mikeddd and John JMK like this.
                              everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                              English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Working...
                              X