Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wadkin CC2 - Return to Service

Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post
    I'm sure there was a guy selling some of those carriage bearings for silly money on ebay
    I saw some carriage bearings for the BRA there and yes....silly money!
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Oh, the bathroom scale says the motor is 121 lbs by the way!

B
      nnieman likes this.

Comment

If the carriage bearings are too rough you can replace the middle with bronze bushes. Do they run on rods that you can turn to get a new surface? Do you expect to set up a bridge crane to use with it?
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
          If the carriage bearings are too rough you can replace the middle with bronze bushes. Do they run on rods that you can turn to get a new surface? Do you expect to set up a bridge crane to use with it?
          Rob
          They run on drill rod, but it's been drilled and tapped to accept screws that secure it in the machine. Might be able to flip it 180 degrees and reuse it if it hasn't been done already. I'm inclined to just get new drill rod and start new but I expect it's too hard to be drilled and tapped with regular tools??

Comment

Drill rod is O2 tool steel and not hard to work until hardened. It comes in annealed state but precision ground to stated diameter. Cold rolled steel is good enough for roundness for this application, hot rolled may not be. If yours are hardened they will not show wear, normally if a file will bite at all it is not hardened.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by timberframe View Post
              This is one of the 4 bearings the carriage rides on. This is knackered....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_222201.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	1218275
              Some Wadkin RASs use a bearing with a special concave half-round outer race. It looks like that bearing is a standard configuration - which gives you half a chance of picking one up without breaking the bank.

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                Some Wadkin RASs use a bearing with a special concave half-round outer race. It looks like that bearing is a standard configuration - which gives you half a chance of picking one up without breaking the bank.

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.
                I have some feelers out. If they're not too expensive I'll just replace them, but I'll try and clean out one of them tonight.

Comment

So, interestingly there are actually two bearings sandwiched together....and they're different. The other one also says Made in England but on the outer race says FBC and LS8.

Name:	20190111_212757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	1218446

Comment

So, interestingly there are actually two bearings sandwiched together....and they're different. The other one also says Made in England but on the outer race says FBC and LS8.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190111_212757.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	1218446
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LJ3-4-RLS...frcectupt=true

if you would like ONS english bearings

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHP-LJ3-4...HkEZ:rk:8:pf:0
                    Last edited by jgarrett forsberg; 01-12-2019, 11:24 AM.
                    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                      Thanks! I cleaned out the first two this morning, and I'll see how they feel with some fresh grease in there.

Comment

you could ask Matt Matt to cylindrical grind the race caps on this Churchill . then see is the drill rod can be turned over on the arm. it would be dead nuts AF.
                        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
                        English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                          you could ask Matt Matt to cylindrical grind the race caps on this Churchill . then see is the drill rod can be turned over on the arm. it would be dead nuts AF.
                          My next question is about the big rollers themselves. I'll clean the crud off of them, but my thinking is to turn them over. If there's wear anywhere it'll be on the bottom part of the concave face. They are symmetrical.

Yes the drill rod is tapped so it can be secured from the outside. My hope was that I can turn it over 180 degrees and use it again. Not sure if that's ever been done before....

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190112_125224.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	1218548

So after a night soaking in paint thinner, followed by a quick rinse in high pressure hot water (pneumatic kit is on a job site) followed by a quick dry in front of the heater so I didn't get the "insta-rust" they felt a lot better. Looked at closely with a lens I noticed a patch of pitting on one portion of the inner race on one bearing but I decided to grease them up anyway. The one bearing was perfect and the other had a rumble, but only in that one place. When I roll the bearing along the work bench, adding radial preload (unscientifically) by pushing down with my fingers, the bearing is perfect except if I orient the inner race such that it's loaded on the bad place. So I think I'll just mark it and make sure the preload is added elsewhere and call it good. I know the bearings are only $25 or less (plus taxes and shipping), there are 8 of them and $200+ is $200+..... Can buy a good blade for it for that.

Speaking of which! Anyone have suggestions for a proper (safe!) 18" blade for this old beast?

B
                            Last edited by timberframe; 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Name:	20190112_144654.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	1218581

Too stinky to soak inside.

One thing that's good about living in the great white north is you don't have to put stuff in your freezer to shrink it!

B

Comment

...Yes the drill rod is tapped so it can be secured from the outside. My hope was that I can turn it over 180 degrees and use it again. Not sure if that's ever been done before....
                                On my CK (little brother to the CC) I found the rods could be turned end for end and/or swapped to the other side. Good thinking Mr Wadkin!

Cheers Vann.

Comment

Working...
                                X