AMMCO 7" shaper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMMCO 7" shaper

On Tuesday I convinced a friend of mine to go with me for a six hour car ride the purpose of which was to pick up this Ammco 7" shaper. It belonged to the sellers Granfather who supposedly bought it new and only used it in his home shop.

We had to drag it up a flight of stairs. The sellers father who was there said he remembers carrying it down the stairs as a teenager. Given his age and the age of the machine his father more likely bought it used than new. Not an issue as it is in good shape and it ran beautifully.

The machine is pretty much plug and play. The electrical needs to be redone and it needs a good clean. Those of you who know me probably won't believe I will be satisfied at that, I don't even believe it myself.

There is a problem with the auto advance for the table which I understand is a common problem that is fairly easy to fix. The seller made me aware of this when we first talked so this came as no surprise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126639.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1222943Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126640.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1222944Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126641.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1222945Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126642.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1222946Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126643.jpg
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1222947Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126644.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1222948Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126645.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1222949Click image for larger version

Name:	image_126646.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1222950

All in all I'm a happy camper.​
    I ended up leaving the stand behind as it was extremely heavy and far too short for my taste. I will make a wooden stand for it like to one you could buy from Delta who sold the same machine with their badge.

P.S. If anyone has fixed the auto feed on one of these I would appreciate your thoughts
    Last edited by Gerry in Belle River; 02-08-2019, 07:33 AM.
    WCraig likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: AMMCO 7" shaper

Hi Gerry, same thing here just showing boxes with ? in them.

Comment

Went back and reload attachments , let me know if it worked

Comment

it almost worked, I think if you specify full size we will see them in your post.
        Rob

Comment

What is the problem with the auto feed on your machine? I tried finding info on it and didn't find a whole lot (didn't look a whole lot either).

On Practical Machinist I found one post in a thread that may give you something to think of...

"The feed screw has so little friction that it turns back and forth instead of allowing the ratchet's pawl to slide over the tooth. "

Comment

Your pictures are now showing as 'attached files' and you view them one at a time, no arrow on pics to allow moving from pic to pic.

Comment

when you upload the attachment choose full size so we can see the pics in the post please.,
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                it almost worked, I think if you specify full size we will see them in your post.
                Rob
                Thanks Rob, should be fixed now

Comment

Originally posted by Beaverfever1988 View Post
                  What is the problem with the auto feed on your machine? I tried finding info on it and didn't find a whole lot (didn't look a whole lot either).

On Practical Machinist I found one post in a thread that may give you something to think of...

"The feed screw has so little friction that it turns back and forth instead of allowing the ratchet's pawl to slide over the tooth. "
                  I don't think it is an unsolvable problem as I was able to get it to somewhat work after a good soaking with a degreaser. It still needs a good going over as either the pawl is worn or the spring for the pawl is broken. All fixable just need to find the time.

Comment

Neat machine Gerry, I haven't used one of those in 40 years.

When there was a job that needed it, it was a great opportunity to have a coffee while listening to the clapper box on the machine......Reminded me of working in a press room for a year to save money for school, using an enormous Cincinnati crankshaft type shear and a crankshaft type 200 ton press brake. There's something neat about those sort of machines.......Rod.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

That looks like a nice size, how long is the stroke? My Varnarmo is supposed to be a 14'' because that is the size of cube you can surface but I think the stroke is more like 16. I had a machinist visit last year who disputed the nomenclature. I set it up about 25 years ago and have not turned it on since. It came from NRC and I think they used it the same way!
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                        That looks like a nice size, how long is the stroke
                        Rob
                        The stroke is actually 7 3/4" so in actuality it is a 7" shaper.

Comment

Nice find Gerry, I have been looking for a metal shaper but they seem hard to find, there are definitely some jobs that it does very well.
                          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                            Nice find Gerry, I have been looking for a metal shaper but they seem hard to find, there are definitely some jobs that it does very well.
                            Mark this one is posted not far from you https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/h...ationFlag=true

I think he is asking farr too much for it. In fact that is 2 1/2 times what I paid for mine. In addition it lacks a vise, lantern tool post and tool holders so you can add $200- $300 for those. The keyway cutter looks home made but is a useful item. I think he is going to have it for awhile at that price.

Comment

Working...
                            X