Wadkin Pk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin Pk

Hi Gentlemen and ladies...should there be any on here ! I have recently acquired a new to me in need of a bit of love Wadkin Pk (my dream saw) I am slowly making small improvements and do plan a complete refurb over time, parts availability and limited number of vital organs i can sell to pay for the parts aside I wanted to introduce myself and my new obsession with a mind to possibly being able to pick some of your collective brains as I start down this road!
    Anyway I have troved through the forum and feel it's time I contributed to the pot!
    Thank you for all your information you have contributed thus far! Much love!
    Matt Matt, M.McKenna and 3 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin Pk

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190208_213509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	1223815Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190131_210918.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.82 MB
ID:	1223816Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190208_160634.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.25 MB
ID:	1223817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190211-WA0027.jpeg
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1223818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190211-WA0018.jpeg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1223819Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190210-WA0028.jpeg
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1223820Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190210-WA0009.jpeg
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1223821Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190205_230446.jpg
Size:	4.77 MB
ID:	1223822Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190211_163336.jpg
Size:	4.44 MB
ID:	1223823Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190208-WA0026.jpeg
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1223824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190208-WA0038.jpeg
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	1223826Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190208-WA0024.jpeg
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1223825Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190208-WA0029.jpeg
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	1223827 to
    Matt Matt and nnieman like this.

Comment

As most can see I am missing a few original bits.... Crown guard assembly, original cant wheel and to be expected the allusive double mitre and mitre fence. I am looking if anyone has a parts machine who can be convinced to part with bits! I hear Mark mark is machining new ..... Is there a list or queue I can join?
      Cheers ... Chris

Comment

Welcome to the club Chris, its Matt matt doing the double mitres.
        Its strange I've seen it on various pk's, a sign saying minimum blade size 18". I have a wadkin tooling price list and it lists 14"16" and 18" saw blades for the pk
        www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Mark and your email! sorry for the slip up Matt Matt! Saw came with a number of blades varying from 12 to approx 16 inches. Does the label strike you as original? You mentioned ability to source parts .... Anything knocking around you could be parted from?

Comment

Welcome to the club! I have a couple of PKs myself and my crown guard is on loan to Matt Matt for him to copy. The concern over using smaller diameter blades is probably because the gap in front of the riving knife will increase with a smaller blade.
            Rob

Comment

Ahh Thanks Rob for reminding me I have to add riving knife to the ever growing list of things I need!😁. Mine was removed as for the past 15years it has been used in a print shop to cut perspex!. On first examination of the saw (only very recently got it) I noticed the oil points were dry for the blade rise and fall and wondered if you had any recommendations for a modern day alternative? Just put a bit of engine oil in for the moment ... Plan to lift main table and examine motor bearings 😬 in the next week or so work depending! Will post more pictures of the progress!

Comment

Welcome to the PK owners club, and thanks for the photo of the Wadkin tag (I'll add that to the Wadkin PK Generations thread in the next day or two).

Rumour has it that the detergents in motor oils clash with brass/bronze bearings and therefore should be avoided. I use Mobil DTE Heavy-Medium oil and Mobil XHP 222 grease on my PK. The local Mobil agent (after consulting someone in Australia) recommended these as the modern equivalents to the Shell Vitrea Oil 33 and Shell Nerita Grease 3 that Wadkin specified (Shell have abandoned New Zealand).

It looks like one of your two handwheels might be a ring-in?

Cheers, Vann.
                Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice Vann will source them today!... Seems after further examination of the saw... The motor bearings have been neglected and allowed to run dry. Will lift the table next week and delve deeper but I am fairly certain that I have the zf motor which is I believe the more costly motor if ye have to replace bearings! Cheers Chris

Comment

Opinions please gents.... Is this a ZEF... Or ZF?

Name:	IMG_20190213_214903.jpg
Size:	5.52 MB
ID:	1224035

Comment

I'm pretty buff me.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190214-WA0002.jpeg
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1224070Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190214-WA0000.jpeg
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1224068Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190214-WA0004.jpeg
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1224069

Comment

Nice! A smaller blade does add a few inches to the crosscut and a riving knife can be made to work with it. More distance front to back on a knife is better. Good luck on the crown guard. I'd like to find one too. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by beckerkumm View Post
                          ...Good luck on the crown guard. I'd like to find one too.
                          I know where one is. $500 NZD (plus postage). I'd just have to figure out what to do with the Yates American saw it's attached to .

Name:	816603481.jpg
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	1224094

Cheers, Vann.
                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                            I know where one is. $500 NZD (plus postage). I'd just have to figure out what to do with the Yates American saw it's attached to .

Name:	816603481.jpg
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	1224094

Cheers, Vann.
                            Good Eye! FWIW normally these old tilt top saws have a fixed arbour great for a lineshaft drive. It is the table that raises and lowers.
                            Rob

Comment

Awwww do you think he'd consider selling the crown guard? Has to be worth 120 nzd... Probably cost that again to ship it to Ireland! Any experience with postage costs of old iron between members?

Comment

Working...
                              X