Old Iron in Costa Rica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Iron in Costa Rica

A month ago I was on a tour in Costa Rica and as a part of this tour we stopped in at a factory that made ox carts the old-fashioned way. While there I spotted a couple of machines that might interest fans of old iron. The jointer is an old Kirchner-Liepzig while the band saw's name is unknown, I can tell you its from the 1920s.
    Attached Files
    wallace1973 likes this.
    The only water in the Forest is the river.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Old Iron in Costa Rica

It looks like the bandsaw is line-belt driven too. I can't tell with the buzzer (err... jointer).

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Vann.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
      It looks like the bandsaw is line-belt driven too. I can't tell with the buzzer (err... jointer).

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Vann.
      Good to see the word buzzer there Vann but then that took a bit of getting used to when I came here, they look like real machines not toys, there is something about a machine that can take a good bite and not slow down, I wonder if the workshop is always so clean or it was cleaned up for the visitors??

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
        Good to see the word buzzer there Vann...
        Yes, these Canadians are a worry with their use of U.S. terminology. It wasn't always that sad - take a look at this old Preston (Canada) advert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preston_143b.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	846.0 KB
ID:	1228681
        "Buzz Planer", now that's more like it (cattledog cut courtesy of Melbourne Matty).

Incidently Bob, there's one of these buzzers in the tramway workshop at Ferrymead Historical Park in Christchurch, if you're ever down that way. Bought new by NZR in 1928-ish. Bought by the tramway about 1990.

Cheers, Vann.
        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Working...
        X