Belt tension for a Beaver 3200 table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt tension for a Beaver 3200 table saw

I was wondering if there is a general rule for what belt tension should be in a power tool. I notice with my Beaver 3200 that the motor struggles to get up to speed unless the belt tension is quite low.
    Any guidelines or tips are appreciated!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Belt tension for a Beaver 3200 table saw

Belt tension shouldn't be a factor. What size motor? What size is your motor pulley? Are the bearings tight on the blade arbor? I wonder also if the motor is starting on the run winding. Or the capacitor has had it.
    I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
    Bob
    Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

The motor is 1.5 hp and should be adequate. I suspect the capacitor is kaput. I tried taking the motor apart, but the capacitor is buried way in the guts, and I cannot figure out how to replace it. Most motors have the capacitor outside in its own little housing, but not this one unfortunately. Bearings on the arbor are fine.

I find it really weird the belt tension makes a difference, but it does.

Comment

I thought the Beaver 3200 , the motor was just hangning back there on the motor mount, thus the weight of the motor makes the belt tension, I have the 3200 and the 2200 and they both have the same system.
        Jacques

Comment

sounds like you need to replace the capacitor or the power supply isnt adequete.
          post a picture or two of the motor, not many motors have the capacitor inside the housing. it should be easy to get at

what size cord do you have on it? a 1.5 hp motor takes a lot of current to start it.
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

If the belt tension is low the belt will slip a bit on the pulley if the load is high. It's an unintended clutch effect that will damage both the belt and the pulley if allowed to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Leclerc View Post
              I thought the Beaver 3200 , the motor was just hangning back there on the motor mount, thus the weight of the motor makes the belt tension, I have the 3200 and the 2200 and they both have the same system.
              Jacques
              I am not familiar with the saw model in question, but any saw I have seen with the motor hanging off the back (contractor style) uses just the weight of the motor for belt tension.

If the arbor bearings are ok and the belt condition/belt alignment is good, then the only answer really is that the problem lies with the motor. As already requested, a photo of the motor, the motor spec plate and the mounting configuration might help.

Comment

Beaver 3200 SHOULD have a brass bolt type affair to add/decrease the tension, as sometimes the weight of the motor can be too much or too little .
                Mike

Comment

mike is right, there is a belt tensioner, the old leland ri motors were pretty heavy to just hang off the bracket!

no capacitor? old 1.5 hp?, the motor could be an old leland ri type and the brushes need some tlc
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

RIght now, I have the tension set so the tension is slightly less than the weight of the motor. It is clear to me the motor capacitor is the culprit, but like I said, getting to it is a real issue. It is buried inside the motor, and I can't see how to replace it with my level of tools and knowledge. I took the motor apart, and everything that could come out easily did, but there still wan't enough room to access the capacitor.

With the low tension, the saw takes a fairly long time to get up to speed, but once up to speed it seems to work fine. I am not noticing any slipped, even with my dado blade going through maple. Being the cheapskate I am, I will leave it like this for now.

Comment

a picture of the motor would help, like was said before it may be a repulse induction and not even have a capacitor. it would have a system of brushes that are pulled away from the commutator when its up to speed. if the mechanism is sticking, the motor would be slow starting or not start at all
                      a 1.5 hp motor is pretty heavy, taking some of the weight off the belt certainly doesnt hurt
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                      X