• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watkin Bursgreen bandsaw 20 inch

Click image for larger version

Name:	bandsaw.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1233524 I want to be able to re-saw hardwood for veneer about 1/8th inch thick by 10 or 11 inches wide. Owner is asking $1500.00 Canadian. The machine seems in very good condition, but the blade is quite dull. I'm happy to buy a blade for it so that I can try it out before buying it. If it cuts reasonably well, is it worth the price? I know "reasonably well" means something different to everyone, but I don't know how else to describe it. I've read other reviews in this forum, and appreciate the information that's here.
    Farmer Giles likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Watkin Bursgreen bandsaw 20 inch

I have the same saw, cost me £500 GBP but the original fence and lower guides were missing. They tend to go for around 900 to 1200 GBP in the condition the one you are looking at is in and 1500 Canadian is about 860 GBP at the moment. So I would say yes, it is probably worth that.

I have spent about 300 GBP on new guides and a blade, so I'm creeping up to the same price as the one you are looking at, and mine needs a coat of paint. Other than that, pretty bomb proof. I haven't had chance to set it up properly since moving it up into the workshop into the barn, but I did try and resaw some walnut with a kreg resaw fence, the curved one that bolts to the normal fence. Seemed to work fine even though I hadn't tracked the blade in as the adjuster was rusted solid. It's now free but I need to spend a couple of hours on setting it up.

I bought an M42 Blade - 3795mm x 3/4" x 3tpi for resaw work. I can't tell you how good it is yet, I plan to spend some time on it this Easter holiday if the kids give me a break

Here it is on the trailer just after I bought it, Sorry about the picture orientation, this site seems to mess with tall pictures.

Cheers
    Andy

Name:	P1070318.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1233627

Comment

Thanks for this Andy. I'll probably buy it, and I'll let you know how it works as I go along. Interesting that your shop is in a barn. Mine's also in a barn.

Comment

I have the same saw, and I can resaw hardwood well with it as it has a regular 3 tpi blade, no expensive carbide for me, and it works fine as it is only for straight cuts. I would recommend that you check the tires, bearings, guides and trunnions for condition, wear, etc. If the saw is well cared for it will likely outlast you. Have you got a 3 phase supply for the motor?
        Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Hi Eric,
          Thanks for your response. I just paid for it. Will get it home soon. No, I don't have 3 phase. I'll either use a static phase converter or a VFD. Any advice is appreciated.
          The motor in this one doesn't seem to be the original. This one's was made in Toronto. It's 2 horse, direct drive, so should do the job just like whatever the original did. The two of the guides should be replaced, but the rest seems good. I don't know if the spring is good or not, hard to tell for me. I tried it out cutting through 10 inches of sapele, and it seemed fine. I think the tension could be greater, as the scale indicated it was tensioned for a 1/4" blade and I was using a 1" inch blade with 2 tpi. Nice clean cut, but I could hear the blade flutter a bit. I'll have to get used to it.
          Paul (from the other Island Paradise - Vancouver Island)

Is there actually a Wadkin Blockhead Club? How do I sign up?

Comment

The Wadkin Blockhead Club is the creation of the Wadkin High Priest, Jack Forsberg, a member here. All members have been entrusted with a piece of the wood block flooring at the Green Lane Work where the Wadkins originated.

If you want a good VFD for your machine Jack can set you up with one, and give you support to get it configured properly which is very helpful if you have not set one up before.
            pmccuish likes this.
            Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
              The Wadkin Blockhead Club is the creation of the Wadkin High Priest, Jack Forsberg, a member here. All members have been entrusted with a piece of the wood block flooring at the Green Lane Work where the Wadkins originated...
              And I think wallace is the Treasurer. Note the huge pile of Wadkin flooring blocks to the right of this photo.
              Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post

Name:	AXM2980.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	1233819
              Wallace's vault. He intends to put a genuine Wadkin floor into his workshop. Nice.

Cheers, Vann.
              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

I bought one of these bandsaws a few years back for $500 Oz.
                It had been used to resaw Oz hardwood and was in a mess with the table tilt trunnion broken and guides worn out.
                I was able to rebuild it thru some horse trading with a local men’s shed and Camoz.
                I find it ok for general shop sawing with a 3 tpi x 3/8” skip tooth blade.
                For any resawing I use the 36” Wadkin DR at the Uni workshop where I used to work.
                With a fabricated frame and lightweight Bursgreen build I doubt these will last long doing serious resawing.
                Big Old cast iron framed saws sell for nothing here in Oz, rebuilding one of these would be better use of your $.
                Just my thoughts, lm currently on hols in Italy otherwise I’d post photos of my guides and top guard which aren’t standard anymore and may give you a few ideas.
                H.

Comment

I'm trying to find Jack Forsberg on the forum because I've been told he's the guy to talk to about a VFD for my Wadkin bandsaw. Can somebody tell me how to find him, please?

Comment

Originally posted by pmccuish View Post
                    I'm trying to find Jack Forsberg on the forum because I've been told he's the guy to talk to about a VFD for my Wadkin bandsaw. Can somebody tell me how to find him, please?
                    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...rrett-forsberg

Or talk to Matt

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...6831-matt-matt
                    Last edited by redlee; 04-27-2019, 06:11 AM.
                    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X