Delta 1460 12" x 46" Wood Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 1460 12" x 46" Wood Lathe

I picked this lathe up last week and just finished bringing it back to life. Its heavy and runs silky smooth.
    Beaverfever1988, nnieman and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta 1460 12" x 46" Wood Lathe

Very nice!

Love the big off switch in the stand

Is that a tach?
    How did you do that?

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
      Very nice!

Love the big off switch in the stand

Is that a tach?
      How did you do that?

Nathan
      Thanks Nathan. That is a tach. There are two magnets glued to the spindle and a sensor glued to the inside of the headstock casting. You can see it in this picture. For some reason this particular tach needed 2 magnets instead of the normal 1. The tach is powered by a 300 ma 9 DCV transformer plugged into an outlet hidden behind the front of the stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0418 (2).JPG
Views:	349
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	1235103
      nnieman, and like this.

Comment

Quite the transformation Rory, I always had a soft spot for these lathes, they are so well build and can last for ever, the only thing missing was the variable speed, but nowadays with a VFD that is not a minus anymore.

Well done and it’s ready for a new and long life, doing what is was made for .

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks Leo! I have to confess that it is not a VFD but a 2.5 HP Permanent magnet motor controlled by an MC 60 speed controller from a treadmill. The speed range in the slowest pulley configuration is from 60 rpm (no torque) but suitable to keep something like epoxy from puddling to ~ 1600 rpm. The effective turning speed range is 400 to 1600 rpm in this configuration.

Comment

Very nice!
            did the tach come with the treadmill also?
            I acquired a DC motor to instal on an old General 160 and a tachometer would be great.
            Any advice on where to get one at a reasonnable price?

Comment

Originally posted by micpie View Post
              Very nice!
              did the tach come with the treadmill also?
              I acquired a DC motor to instal on an old General 160 and a tachometer would be great.
              Any advice on where to get one at a reasonnable price?
              The tach did not come with the treadmill. I buy them through ebay out of China. Just go to ebay and search for digital tachometer and then look for those with hall proximity switches. They cost between $5 and $10 US and generally take a couple of months to get here. They require a 9 V DC power source. You can use a battery but if you do you will find that you are always replacing it. I use little transformers instead, the kind that are used to charge phones. If you go the transformer route, make sure that the output is DC and not more than 750 ma. Some of the tachs require only 30 or 40 ma and it is hard to find transformers with that output, so be careful before your order. To function, the tachs require a small rare earth magnet. Some include magnets but most do not. The tach on the lathe actually required 2 magnets to read correctly (I check the accuracy with an optical tach).

Here is a link to them on ebay.
              https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...72.m2749.l2658
              Last edited by tool fan; 04-29-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Great info, thank you.
                You get the small transfos trom ebay also?

Comment

At first I used old transformers that I had around the house. Then one day someone locally was trying to get rid of a large bag of them. I picked those up but only about 10 were useful. About a month ago I found some more at a Restore in St. George Utah for $1 each. They are available but you have to look. You can always use a battery. If you do, wire in a small on/off switch and try to remember to turn it off when you don't need it. The battery will last much longer if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                    At first I used old transformers that I had around the house. Then one day someone locally was trying to get rid of a large bag of them. I picked those up but only about 10 were useful. About a month ago I found some more at a Restore in St. George Utah for $1 each. They are available but you have to look. You can always use a battery. If you do, wire in a small on/off switch and try to remember to turn it off when you don't need it. The battery will last much longer if you do.
                    The tach I have on my Drill Press is powered from the VFD itself. The tach I have takes a wide range of input voltages. There was a +24V take off on the I/O terminals of the VFD that I used.
                    Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

The tach I have on my Drill Press is powered from the VFD itself. The tach I have takes a wide range of input voltages. There was a +24V take off on the I/O terminals of the VFD that I used.
                      That is very interesting Randy. Do you know what the amperage is? I have found that some of the tachs will not function if the amperage from the transformer is greater than 750 ma. The light on the sensor glows but it fails to read anything.

Comment

That is very interesting Randy. Do you know what the amperage is? I have found that some of the tachs will not function if the amperage from the transformer is greater than 750 ma. The light on the sensor glows but it fails to read anything.
                        Surely connecting it directly to a 9v battery would be higher potential than that?
                        Rob

Comment

Very good job on the lathe Rory, I have the same tach on my General 260.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Surely connecting it directly to a 9v battery would be higher potential than that?
                            Rob
                            I know that is why I am trying to figure out why some of the transformers work and some don't. My only experience is that over 750ma and they don't work.

Comment

I know that is why I am trying to figure out why some of the transformers work and some don't. My only experience is that over 750ma and they don't work.
                              Being larger should make it better able to supply the current that the tach needs. Are you sure the polarity was correct?
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X