Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vintage switch gear

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vintage switch gear

    not to often do our restorations include proper electrical gear . i have had fun with this one . its all from the rat hole . one needs challenges:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::




    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4502[1].JPG
Views:	234
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1241734


    schor, Beaverfever1988 and ErikM like this.
    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

    jack
    English machines

    http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: vintage switch gear

    I was just going to hit the like button, I donít like it. I love it. Fantastic!
    Someday, I want to visit.
    John
    Last edited by John@Hamilton; 06-26-2019, 10:30 AM.
    jgarrett forsberg likes this.
    If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: vintage switch gear

      Thatís a beauty. Great stuff.
      Visiting the temple is on my bucket list.
      jgarrett forsberg likes this.
      Mike @ Buck Lake

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: vintage switch gear

        will enjoy a beer with both of you
        everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

        jack
        English machines

        http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: vintage switch gear

          Originally posted by John@Hamilton View Post
          I was just going to hit the like button, I donít like it. I love it. Fantastic!
          Someday, I want to visit.
          John
          John, make your way out to Oshawa with a tent, iíll take you... and the rest will be history.

          better yet, thereís probably two or three people from Hamilton going.
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: vintage switch gear

            Thatís a piece of work Jack, just stunning to look at. I checked our schedule out here, and my wife is on call during Rust Fest so itís another ďthere in spirit onlyĒ for me.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: vintage switch gear

              Looks really nice Jack.

              I commissioned some 25 Hz custom built rectifiers for Cabot Carbon in Welland or St. Catherines in the 1980's.

              They still had 25 Hz power from the local generating station.

              I also did some 25 Hz rectifiers for mine locomotives in 1988..I wonder if those are still in operation?..............Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: vintage switch gear

                Matt Matt, thanks for the offer. Thatís a very kind offer but health issues will prevent my taking you up on it.
                Thanks,
                John
                If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: vintage switch gear

                  Hey Jack another beauty.

                  I guess you proved web belting works huh? When i suggested it in another thread a while back it got shot down. LOL

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: vintage switch gear

                    deleted
                    Last edited by Kayhan; 06-29-2019, 09:24 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: vintage switch gear

                      Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Hey Jack another beauty.

                      I guess you proved web belting works huh? When i suggested it in another thread a while back it got shot down. LOL
                      work great and i like the clipper sound . i need to make a new one for this machine .
                      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

                      jack
                      English machines

                      http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: vintage switch gear

                        Gas piping for conduit! Amateur .

                        I was lucky enough to pick up quite a few conduit fittings (some from an online auction, and some from a partly demolished building ) with British Standard Conduit threads - and a set of BS Conduit dies.

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Con7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	866.5 KB ID:	1241929I made the wooden box.

                        The only suitable pipe I can buy here in New Zealand is a seam welded pipe.

                        I made up new conduit (old fittings) to replace the bright orange modern (1980s) conduit that came on my Preston bandsaw.

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Con1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1241934Click image for larger version  Name:	Con2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1241930

                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Con3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1241933Click image for larger version  Name:	Con4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	1241932Click image for larger version  Name:	Con5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	1241931Click image for larger version  Name:	Con6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	1241928

                        Unfortunately the switchgear isn't the original 1929 switchgear, but the more modern (~1963) that came with the saw when I bought it. The Isolating switch is a MEM product (Midland Electric Manufacturing, UK), while the contactor (being wired in) is Crabtree (UK).

                        I'm intending to similarly make up conduit for my Wadkin LP recessing and boring machine. I used 3/4" conduit for the bandsaw, but hope to get away with 5/8" conduit on the recessor.

                        Cheers, Vann.
                        Last edited by J Vann; 06-28-2019, 09:43 PM. Reason: Note re: recessor conduit added.
                        jgarrett forsberg likes this.
                        Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: vintage switch gear

                          But back to Vintage Switch Gear.

                          My Wadkin RB 2hp 9" buzzer ("jointer" to you folks - "surface planer" when Wadkin built it) is an early model that wasn't supplied with inbuilt electrics. When I bought it 2 years ago it came with these:

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	1241943

                          A 15amp 500v MEM isolator (identical to the one on my Preston bandsaw) from ~1960s

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	1241942 Internals of the one on my bandsaw (just after I'd sourced a replacement ceramic arc chute).

                          And this:

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	1241944

                          A 2 - 4amp "Darth Vader" MEM contactor (the 1.5hp motor draws 2.9amps per phase) which I though might be original to the 1926 buzzer.

                          I bought a NOS "Darth Vader" MEM contactor from UK as spare (although the coil is 240v, not 400v - the standard 3phase voltage over here). Also recently acquired 3 MEM motor control gear catalogues (from 1937, 1955 and 1962).

                          The original contactor has some damage to the push button station (repairable) and to the contactor bridge (not repairable). I swapped out the push button station...

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM broke.jpg Views:	0 Size:	527.9 KB ID:	1241949

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM pair2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	368.8 KB ID:	1241948

                          ...but when I went to swap over the contactor bridge I found it's different.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	MEM S3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.1 KB ID:	1241947 MEM S2a.jpgBroken bridge left. Note the difference in the copper contacts.

                          Consulting the newly acquired catalogues I find that there are three versions of the "Darth Vader" contactor (Series 1, 2 & 3), before MEM changed the case and relocated the push buttons (Series 4+). Only Series 1 is in the 1937 catalogue, and my original contactor turns out to be Series 3 - so not original 1926 equipment. The 1956 catalogue has Series 4 contactors (and parts for Series 1, 2 & 3). My NOS contactor is Series 2. I guess Series 2 must date to early-mid 1940s, and Series 3 is probably late 1940s-early 1950s.

                          So now I have the Series 2 contactor - with the Series 3 400v coil and case - to go onto the buzzer.



                          As for the isolator: I'm not sure if I'll refurbish the existing 1960s switch, or fit something older. The existing switch has been with the machine for up to 50 years - which makes it authentic. But I like the look of older gear (this is also the dilemma I faced with the Preston bandsaw).

                          Other options I have include this:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	MEM15.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	1241952Click image for larger version

Name:	MEM16.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	1241953

                          The downside of this switch is the top edge (above the ceramic arc chutes) is exposed, and would probably need some sort of physical barrier. It's also more recent. MEMrex switches had flat covers in the 1920s - the dimpled panel seen here was added later.

                          Or this:

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	MEM18.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1241954Click image for larger version

Name:	MEM17.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1241955

                          This one dates to the late 1920s and, being fused, would add an extra level of electrical protection. However those screw in fuses have never been widely used in New Zealand and I don't know where to source replacements. The cast iron case is drilled to take three single re-wireable fuses (like the one on the left). I search ebayUK regularly but have not yet seen any fuse bases of that exact type (I do have sufficient re-wireable fuse carriers, but only the one bases).

                          Another disadvantage of both cast-iron switches is they are designed to be wired from the top (or bottom), whereas the 1960s switch has side entry - as has the contactor. Reusing the 1960s switch would enable a single straight length of conduit between the two. Use of a cast iron switch would involve a conduit elbow - and lowering the switch to allow top entry.

                          Cheers, Vann.
                          Last edited by J Vann; 06-29-2019, 02:10 AM.
                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: vintage switch gear

                            Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                            Gas piping for conduit! Amateur .

                            I was lucky enough to pick up quite a few conduit fittings (some from an online auction, and some from a partly demolished building ) with British Standard Conduit threads - and a set of BS Conduit dies.

                            Click image for larger version Name:	Con7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	866.5 KB ID:	1241929I made the wooden box.

                            The only suitable pipe I can buy here in New Zealand is a seam welded pipe.

                            I made up new conduit (old fittings) to replace the bright orange modern (1980s) conduit that came on my Preston bandsaw.

                            Click image for larger version Name:	Con1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1241934Click image for larger version Name:	Con2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1241930

                            Click image for larger version Name:	Con3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1241933Click image for larger version Name:	Con4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	1241932Click image for larger version Name:	Con5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	1241931Click image for larger version Name:	Con6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	1241928

                            Unfortunately the switchgear isn't the original 1929 switchgear, but the more modern (~1963) that came with the saw when I bought it. The Isolating switch is a MEM product (Midland Electric Manufacturing, UK), while the contactor (being wired in) is Crabtree (UK).

                            I'm intending to similarly make up conduit for my Wadkin LP recessing and boring machine. I used 3/4" conduit for the bandsaw, but hope to get away with 5/8" conduit on the recessor.

                            Cheers, Vann.
                            for that type fitting i use pluming parts . thread fittings soldered on copper pipe work good . i do stip old machine of there parts when i can .
                            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

                            jack
                            English machines

                            http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: vintage switch gear

                              Doesn't 400V 3Ý have about 240v to the neutral?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X