Beaver 3800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver 3800

Good day to all, I am trying to restore a Beaver 3800. I am not much of a wood worker so if I use the wrong terms please forgive me. At this point I have taken it apart and have every thing moving freely but am scratching my head over the fence. The part I have issue with is moving it back and forth. There are two places to set the fence. First is the angle, I have that fixed and working. Next is the width setting. Does the handle unscrew? If it put it back on it is so tight the fence will only move back and forth with some 'gentle' persuasion with a rubber mallet. I'm thinking it is so rusted I will have to cut it off then make a new bar? Not sure if I can post a picture...
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beaver 3800

even the roughest 3800 I restored (I've done 2)
    I didn't need to persuade AFTER being cleaned up and re-assembled.
    if I remember correctly the "width" adjustment, as you've explained, is done using the handle with the long "bolt" which goes between the 2 fence slides.
    a 1/2 turn is often all it takes to loosen it enough to allow the fence to slide along those bars.

now if that small bolt IS rusted, it may cause issue, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace.

soak threaded parts in some penetrating fluid, maybe add a little heat, but it "should" come a apart.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3800.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1250670 Ill try and post the picture but I think Tom has the idea. I am very reluctant to cut it but if I did I could likely weld it back on. Ill try soaking it for a bit, but does the handle come off?
      Last edited by Bill.R; 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Got it, now how do I rotate it, lol.

Ignore this post, I figured it out...
        Last edited by Bill.R; 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

ive redone 5 or 6 of those jointers and the rods have to be immaculate for the "carriage" to slide. as well as the bores in the "carriage" and the locking pieces. there are some very fine tolerances in there!

beaver is well known for some crazy machine work, the 3800 fence is the ultimate of those!! especially considering the tilt system with the big barrel and the linkage pieces(4 links and 8 bushings of two different sizes!)
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

So here is what I did. After fighting with this last part .. for over a month I just cut the bar so I could see how it was on. I knew I could weld the bar back together.
            The handle looks to be pressed on. The cam (as I call it) next to the handle is floating. The cam at the end is threaded. My problem was it was rusted on and as pointed out above it no longer was able to adjust back and forth.

Name:	3800 after weld.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1250687Click image for larger version

Name:	3800 after.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1250688Click image for larger version

Name:	3800 cut.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1250689

Comment

... and thanks for the quick responses... As Arnold said, I will be back.....

Comment

Note sure what the rules of the forum are but now that I have things back together I see the fence will not go to a 90 degree setting. Keep in mind I have completely taken every thing apart so it is likely I have put it back together wrong. Does anyone have a picture of how this should look?

Name:	fence.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1250697

Note, if I put the rod back through it will not align and will not sit at 90...

Comment

my 3800 from another thread. the linkages are assembled wrong! the skinny ones are identical BUT not symmetrical. the two inner ones are mirror images of each other.
                  there was another htread recently with exactly your problem, i'll see if I can find it or the pic I posted on my computer

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_125373.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	1250703
                  Last edited by stevem; 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM.
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

here are a couple of better pics from an even older thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_70231.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	1250709Click image for larger version  Name:	image_70230.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	1250711
                    hey, we have twins!! 2 3800's at the same time. the rear one is my daily user, the front one was done for a friend

did a little checking in the manual and im wrong. the two inner ones are identical and you have them mounted correctly
                    you have the two outer ones reversed in positions
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by stevem; 09-11-2019, 06:14 PM.
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

They look the same as the picture above... I will try and reverse the outer ones and see what I get..

Comment

Originally posted by Bill.R View Post
                        They look the same as the picture above... I will try and reverse the outer ones and see what I get..
                        there isn't much difference, just the geometry of the slot
                        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Thank you stevem , it works perfectly. It was exactly what you said, I just switched the ends and all is good. I was given this chunk of cast iron that was so rusted and seized its next home was the local dump. Its back in shape now, all I need to do is build a stand for it. I will post a picture when completed...

Comment

no problem at all!, I know ive put them together wrong probably 1/2 of the times I did them. 50/50 chance right? LOL
                            and the linkage pieces aren't even shown in the manual

the 3800 shown in the big picture is my regular user, it had spent a couple of decades rusting away under a pile of straw in a barn, it was rough!!
                            but it cleaned up nicely and is used daily. Bearings were in great shape, i cleaned them out and repacked them 10 yrs ago and still going strong

don't forget that the motor pulley has to 8 inch for proper cutterhead speed with a 1725 rpm motor. you cant change the cutterhead pulley of course
                            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I was lucky and found a used 3/4 hp motor on Kijiji. When I told the seller it was for a 3800 he laughed and said that's exactly what it came off. So far this project has coat me $45.

Comment

Working...
                              X