Vintage Tool Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Tool Values

I have a couple old vintage tools that I would like to sell, but I have no idea of their value. Could someone give me an estimate?

Tool one is a Walker Turner "The Driver Line" scroll saw. It is rusty and needs an overhaul, but everything moves.

Tool two is a Wheatley Machine & Tool Co. 6" Jointer. It too is rusty, but years ago, I had it all apart and freed everything up and used never seize on its sliding parts. The bearings were replaced but had to be shimmed. The original bearing numbers were not available. It has one damaged adjustment handle and the one spring anchor has been jury rigged.

I also have an old, double send Craftsman motor to sell two. It is 1 h.p. capacitor motor, 3450 r.p.m. ?, 115/230 volts, Frame, I think is a KS 7BX BN, Style 237.

Many Thanks

TERRIBLE WOODWORKER
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Vintage Tool Values

my opinion, as someone who used to enjoy buying cheap old machines for restoration & resale, $50 each.

the scroll saw is small, outdated, and it's value is based on what someone willing to restore it is willing to pay.

jointer is much the same, but if it's missing/broken pieces the value drops too. if it were in working condition, even with pieces missing, you could pair it up with the motor for $100 and hope someone wants an inexpensive but working machine.

the motor is probably worth the most (IMO) as it'a 1hp so usefull for many small shop machines.

if you're not going to use them, list as is, and hope for best.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

beakie's (to many Toms on this site ) assessment sounds about right to me, I might go a little higher on the jointer, handles and springs can be replaced, bearings need a closer look. Including the motor definitely 100 +

Comment

Thanks for your response beakie. I've had these for 29 years since my wife's father passed. I'm not going to use them. I can't even pick up the jointer anymore.

Have a great day!

TERRIBLE WOODWORKER

Comment

Carlosinthesticks, thanks for your reply. I was hoping to see some bigger numbers, but life is what it is!

Have a great day!

TERRIBLE WOODWORKER

Comment

Someone who collects or is completing a collection of these tools may pay more. Ask what you expect to get, and be willing to negotiate. You might do much better than we have suggested with a person looking for these specific tools.

Comment

I wouldn't say that the jointer is outdated, jointer technology really hasn't changed and that older wheatley is as good as any modern 6 inch jointer
              same with the motor, its an old emerson, im guessing from the 60's, old induction motors are tough old things, a new set of bearings for 20 bucks and it'll run another 50 yrs

the motor and jointer? $200

the scroll saw is definetly a collector's thing rather than a user although its probably a better machine than the modern homeowner type stuff
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Steve wins the auction, you found a buyer close by .

Comment

stevem, thanks for your reply. I like that number better, but am still surprised that such a solidly made jointer would not be worth more. I'll see if I get more responses and decide what to do.

Have a great day!

TERRIBLE WOODWORKER

Comment

if I needed a jointer, that wheatley is as good as they come, I've rebuilt two of them, heavy brutes, I know!!
                    very solid machine with an excellent fence
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Sometimes a heavy brute is what is required to get the job done. Sounds like you have had lots of machines go through your hands. Your certainly in the center of what was NA casting heaven, you must see alot of old iron Steve.

Comment

I buy old machines at auctions and around here those are all five dollar items. As a job lot I would estimate 5-10 dollars.
                        Rob

Comment

That jointer is not properly set up on a stand, needs a complete going through, probably bearings and clean, looks like is has a damage to the one handle. $75 at the most.
                          Last edited by Mark in Burlington; 09-16-2019, 08:27 AM.
                          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Sorry to say, but items like that are sold by weight.

Comment

I would agree with all the assessments above. Vintage tools are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Wouldn't be much time and effort to clean them up and shine those tables. From reading the first post, it sounds like a simple task for you. Shiny = easier sell.

Good luck with your sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X