Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help needed to wire in new switch for vintage Delta D/P

Originally posted by stevem View Post
    both of my old drill presses have simple motor rated toggle switches(plus reverse switches)
    they are the old delta/rockwell ball tip switches

no need for a big ugly magnetic starter, Lowes used to carry a 20 amp rated switch, looked just like a regular household switch once in a box. i have 3 or 4 of those on machines as well, including my 2hp tablesaw(1160 tilty) iirc!
    Whatever switch you get should be MOTOR RATED, irregardless of amperage.
    WCraig likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Frank is it a certain old appearance you're after? If so, perhaps an old case/box with a modern but simple switch. DP's IMHO do not need magnetic starters.

Comment

Frank I am in agreement with everyone here that a magnetic starter for a DP is way overkill, it was only brought up to explain the use of the control switch you brought up. You will only see a magnetic starter mounted on a DP in industry or a school setting (for there own legal fallback). But you will never see it in a consumer drill press. For motors over 1.5 HP a magnetic starter is a good idea. Below 1.5 hp most imports have one of the two smaller switches I pictured before. Most DP's use this type of switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Switches 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1253090

If you are looking for a more vintage look, a Square D or GE switch similar to the one I pictured before, would be closer than the cheaper imports. Here is the one I mounted on my Walker-Turner radial drill.

Name:	Square D On Radial.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1253091

Comment

Rusty, yes it was just for my thinking that a switch of a similar vintage would just look better than what it came with. It is just me who actually looks at it so Carlo's 2nd pic in post #33 or stevem suggestions would look better than existing but not as nice looking as what I hoped to use. Learning of potential safety issues using the existing switch was very useful. The explanations and pictures have been most helpful and much appreciated. Thanks all who responded. Here is a picture of the motor tag, looks like the GE motor is 1/4hp.

Name:	motor tag.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1253130

Comment

One used to be able to buy a motor switch that looked identical to the one Jacques gave you, only smaller. It would be perfect. You have not posted a pic of the DP yet!

Comment

Sorry, should have done that in the original post. Here is the old boy. Between trying to figure out this switch situation and attempting to figure out how to replace the bearings for an old Delta 6 x 48 Belt/Disc sander, overlooked posting a D/P pic. Believe it is a Delta triple duty 14" from the late '30's - early '40's. It fits nicely in my downstairs man cave.

Name:	drill press.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1253227
              WCraig likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Nice one Frank. An old switch would be nice on there.

Comment

Thanks Rusty, you can see why it would be nicer to have something more in line with how the old boy looks.

Comment

cool looking machine! definetly worthy of good vintage switch.
                    my old beaver dp has a delta 3/4 hp motor with a toggle switch on the motor(vintage delta parts)

when you go looking for a suitable new switch, make sure you get one good for 1hp, before long you will be looking for a motor thats more than 1/4 hp!
                    my shop is a beaver lodge
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thanks for the tip Steve.

Comment

Working...
                      X