Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delta 6x48 disc/drum sander idler drum bearings removal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 6x48 disc/drum sander idler drum bearings removal ?

Picked this unit up at auction of school equipment last year for $50. It had been dropped either at the school or by the auction house. The base was broken as well as the bottom of the frame that holds the dust chute and the dust chute was AWOL. Have obtained a replacement base and as the disc portion is the most useful will put back together. Have got the drive drum and bearings separated but now onto the idler drum. Have read a bunch of information on OWWM and appears 2 methods of removing the shaft in the idler drum. One is with an arbor press that either works a charm or can break the housing if you slip a bit and the second is to drive the shaft with appropriately size metal bar or wooden dowel. No arbor press on hand so would like to try option 2. My question is has anybody here replaced the idler drum bearings on this type of sander and used a rod and dead blow hammer to get the shaft out? What to watch out for and how did you set up, i.e. supporting the idler drum and its frame?
    Thanks
    Frank
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 6.38.14 PM.png
Views:	207
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	1253312Click image for larger version

Name:	idler drum.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1253313
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta 6x48 disc/drum sander idler drum bearings removal ?

I have the Rockwell/Beaver one and I did replace the bearings once. To do it, remove the set screw and the spring pin at both end. From there place the drum in a vertcal position on two blocks of hard wood, then use either a dead blow hammer or a hammer with a brass. Push one bearing out, then the other after. The bearings are only press fit, you might need a little bit of persuation, but they will come out. That's about all.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the response. Think mine is a little different. Can see no set screws or springs but will take another close look. Have used a LV product called MOOVIT trying to loosen the shaft. Figure if the shaft can be hammered out can then work on the 2 bearings. Have made up a bracket to hold the assembly with the drums sitting on it with space for the shaft to drop. Was concerned about pounding on it with either a metal or wood dowel and dead blow hammer. Here are a couple of pics of the ends of the idler assembly. Have marked the ends for re-assembly as big mistake when taking the unit apart forgot to take multi-pics

Name:	left end2.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1253596Click image for larger version

Name:	r end2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1253597

Comment

sorry, i cant really help even though ive taken dozens and dozens of machines apart(and reassembled!!)

i would suggest locating the manual on vintage and studying the drawings carefully while interpreting the parts list. no point in hammering on a axle if there isnt one for example!

i'll try to locate the manual and drawings and see what i can suggest.

i have done those similar parts in a rockwell 1900 and a beaver 3900, they might be similar

btw posting bigger pics might help too

ok, here's a belt only machine with a decent drawing: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/517.pdf looks to be the same carrier for the idler wheel

it appears that the shaft bs225 is retained by 4 hex nuts bs261. if you remove the nuts from either end the shaft should be removed easily with tapping. i would thread one nut back on to protect the threads while getting it started. there are two spacer collars bs 229 and bs 262 in there too

it appears that the shaft can be removed from either end, so i would the heavier end on a flat hard surface with a hole for the shaft and start tapping
        Last edited by stevem; 10-01-2019, 07:08 AM.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Thanks Steve, had previously found a Delta 71-730.pdf AFM-7B 420-01-651-0007 Dated 2-10-86 sort of similar to my machine. Only issue with that document was a split disc guard showing upper & lower pieces where mine is a solid guard unit. Believe my sander to be a 71-730 from base number but unsure, quite a few CAT. NO. on Delta machines Here is pic of the base. Will take some more pics tomorrow of the idler ends and check for any set screws that old-timers mentioned in his reply #2. Was concerned about pic size postings so been using the small size. This one is medium but can use large or full-size if that gives better clarity. What pic size is best?
          Frank

Name:	base 31-730.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1253778

Comment

Steve, here are some more pictures showing what has been removed. The parts list you passed on shows 2 hex nuts DP-261 at either end of the idler assembly but on my unit there is only 1 at either end. Each end has a spacer collar BS-229 & BS-262 plus bearing closure nut DP-242. Have made a 2 x 6 frame to set the assembly on for hitting the idler drum shaft BS-225. Have been using MOOVIT around the bearing hoping it will penetrate down the shaft.
            Frank

Name:	hex nuts BS-261 & bearing closure nut DP-242 .JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1253915Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer collar BS-229.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1253916Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer collar BS-262.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1253917Click image for larger version

Name:	block for banging on.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1253918

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

first picture appears to have a locking collar, the piece with two slots in it. that is probably a bearing retainer.

is it threaded into the casting?

yours is a newer model than the manual i posted, the nyloc nuts are a dead giveaway!
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
              X