Help and guidance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and guidance needed

Hi all, new member, first post. Over the weekend I rescued a 50 YO Beaver RAS from being committed to scrap metal but it needs some help. First of all I can't really find much on the saw; the plaque says it's CAT # 1600 and serial number is G5370. I spent 2 days with Google trying to find info and did find some but not a lot. Can anyone enlighten me more please? Second, the previous owner was running a 12" blade but from what I can find it is a 10" saw. He inherited it from his father and he said he ran 12" blades on it also. Lastly, and most importantly, the motor is shot and that's the reason it was going for scrap. I stripped the saw and took the motor apart and there is a dead short in the windings and broken wires. I took it to two motor repair shops here in the Halifax area and they are saying $1000 to rewind the motor. I only paid a case of beer for the saw but it's hard to part with $1000 for a rewind. Are there replacement motors that will fit this saw? Do any members know if there is a used motor that works around anywhere? And finally, does anyone have any suggestions of any kind, I'm open to any ideas. I have a RAS (Craftsman) now but this is built SO much better that I would love to get it running again.

Thanking everyone in advance to any help you can give!

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Help and guidance needed

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=17471

Is this the saw or similar ?
    If the motor has a specific mount, it will be difficult to find one.
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Welcome Roofus. A picture would help. But I have a Beaver Rockwell 1555 that might be similar and there are others that mount the motor in the same unique way. Delta deluxe 105 is one. So you might be able to find one that you can get the motor from but RAS are cheap and plentiful and you can usually get complete units for a good price.

I have a Super 900 and the whole carriage will fit on the arm of my 1555 or others that have the ways on the outside of the arm. So, as I said a picture would help, but if it is as I suspect then there are quite a few that would fit.

Walt

Comment

Thanks redlee and Walt for the response. I neglected to take pictures before I dismantled the saw but here are some pics to give you an idea. I looked at that pdf before redlee and it isn't very close to my saw. I have a wishbone yoke and the vertical adjustment is from the front of the stand.
        Attached Files

Comment

I wasn't able to find any info on it either, looks like it's a Delta 10 plus with Beaver badges.

Photo Index - Rockwell Manufacturing Co. - 10 Plus 33-564 | VintageMachinery.org
          http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=2474

$1000 for a rewind sounds like alot, but no matter what I'm sure your cheapest option is to find a replacement motor from another machine.

I think this is a manual for your machine. If you google Delta 33-564 alot more comes up (provided that its the same machine). Good luck!

edit: forgot to post the link sorry http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=20415
          Last edited by Beaverfever1988; 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

AKA Tecomaster and sold by Eaton Co., a Delta-Rockwell made by Beaver, it could help you get a motor or parts machine.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

motors for all radial arm saws are make/model specific so your only option is a motor from a scrap machine
              the saw is a delta/rockwell design, looks like a super 990.
              you can very likely find a scrap one in the US unless somebody here has one or just watch kijiji
              as leo pointed out, it was available under a few different nameplates(badge engineering!)
              my shop is a beaver lodge
              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I have this motor available if it will work for you. I have heard it run and it sounds fine. However, it could probably use bearings just like any motor this old. Click image for larger version

Name:	F1D88758-DAE1-422C-8215-B5E8BDA5039B.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	1259148

Comment

Working...
                X