Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin Bursgreen 14BRA question....

Hi gang,
    Just wondering how many different length arms were available on the Wadkin Bursgreen 14BRA radial arm saws?
    I have one with what I would call the "standard" length arm, and just picked up a parts machine with an arm at least 8"-10" longer...... I'm thinking at some point I will put the long arm on the saw i am keeping.
    I am assuming major pieces like the arms should be interchangeable between similar model saws?
    Also,were they available with single phase motors? I can't say I have ever seen one..
    Thanks,
    Pete

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin Bursgreen 14BRA question....

Just to provide a bit more info, the removable "rails" that the carriage rides on are roughly 28" on the standard arm, and 37" on the long arm I have.
    Pete

Comment

Robert Brown (of Melbourne, Australia) has two (or maybe 3) BRAs, he might be able to answer some of your questions. Or you could look through the Wadkin Bursgreen catalogs on VM.

Cheers, Vann .
      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Hi Vann,
        I went back and looked a bit harder..
        Apparently arms were available standard length, 5" longer, or 8" longer.
        I guess I have the longest arm on my parts saw!
        Thanks,
        Pete

Comment

What voltage is your parts saw?
          Rob

Comment

Iamtooler,
            Unfortunately it is 575 volt 3-phase...
            Are you looking for parts/motor?

Comment

I like to keep my eye on parts machines! Most of my machines are 600 volt. I will try to remember to check mine tomorrow.

Comment

I have three BRA saws and three arm lengths . Interchangeable ? No Idea. The last one I got probably not interchangeable . Its very different from the other two , its an early model and has the longest reach . Its huge compared to the first two . I have some brochures on them Ill have a look at the specs and see if it mentions length of arms .
                I have three and all on the same long bench . One is a standard cross cutter for docking . The next has an adjustable trenching head and a loose false table insert to raise the work up so its used and can trench through without touching the long common fence that is used for docking . And the third one is on the right and was going to have a router fitted. Its almost ready to go if I need it and I'Il just have to fit the router if and when I want to do wide cross trenching with a router bit . It will suit a type of cabinet I have dreams of making and I haven't got around to doing yet . Its a multi bank of drawers type thing and traditional the good ones were trenched.

Edit . I'm going to go change my location because I moved a few years ago to Wombat and Snake bush country.
                Like another forum member in Australia says ." Not far enough away from Melbourne "
                Last edited by Robert Brown; 11-27-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Brown View Post
                  I have three BRA saws and three arm lengths . Interchangeable ? No Idea. The last one I got probably not interchangeable . Its very different from the other two , its an early model and has the longest reach . Its huge compared to the first two . I have some brochures on them Ill have a look at the specs and see if it mentions length of arms .
                  I have three and all on the same long bench . One is a standard cross cutter for docking . The next has an adjustable trenching head and a loose false table insert to raise the work up so its used and can trench through without touching the long common fence that is used for docking . And the third one is on the right and was going to have a router fitted. Its almost ready to go if I need it and I'Il just have to fit the router if and when I want to do wide cross trenching with a router bit . It will suit a type of cabinet I have dreams of making and I haven't got around to doing yet . Its a multi bank of drawers type thing and traditional the good ones were trenched.

Edit . I'm going to go change my location because I moved a few years ago to Wombat and Snake bush country.
                  Like another forum member in Australia says ." Not far enough away from Melbourne "
                  Are you intending to fit a router collet to the original motor and over speed it with a vfd, or fit a router onto the arm in place of the original motor?
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Are you intending to fit a router collet to the original motor and over speed it with a vfd, or fit a router onto the arm in place of the original motor?
                    Rob
                    That would have been nice and easy but the rotation is wrong for standard cutters . I suppose with VFD reverse is easy but the thread on the spindle is still wrong Rob . So rather than trying to solve these problems I took out the motor and am fitting a standard Makita router . The speed not being as high with the saw motor wouldn't have been a problem I don't think . I use router cutters in the Wadkin LQ which is a lot slower than a router and they work just fine . Even Tiny ones . The beauty of the LQ is you can put in whopper home made ones at that slow speed. I got BRA no 3 for $150 and got stuck into putting it in place and doing the motor to router change over . The Wadkin LQ will do the same thing that this converted BRA will do when done . It just wont have the reach that this BRA has. So I'll have a High speed long reach and a slow speed not as far reach if I continue on and get around to these cabinets I'm thinking of .

Comment

One of the features that lead me to buy a new RAS in the 70s was a router collet on the back end of the motor as well as a drill chuck. I never used either but the idea was appealing. I bought a BRA with the idea of using it as a tilting spindle shaper but have not needed it yet.
                      Rob

Comment

Yes they take cutters don't they! I forgot . With a fence set up, the rotation and thread is good . Its just opposite to standard router bits . I get a good amount of my moulding done on a router table with the router inverted and adjust things in with moulding planes if that's whats needed. Any larger work and I have some spindle moulders. If I can keep machines to single use so I can walk from one to the next I'm happy . My goal is to have the second machine up to speed before the first has stopped spinning after hitting the stop button . And have the wood back at the bench listening to some good music playing asap .

Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X