Unisaw motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisaw motor question

I recently acquired a 1 1/2 HP unisaw. It had been sitting for a while, at least several years unused in a basement. On starting it for the first time, the motor started, then the magnetic starter clicked off within a second or 2. Motor turns freely by hand
    Should I be looking at the motor or the starter? Starter is a Brooks Motor (English) 12A capacity, Motor is Rockwell 10A draw according to the nameplate
    Any guidance would be appreciated.
    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Unisaw motor question

If the starter's overloads are set for 240 volts they will quickly trip on 120 volts.

Comment

Check the voltage setting of motor and make sure are using the correct voltage.
      Measure the amps on the motor when it is running.

Comment

Sorry, I should have clarified that; it is running on a 20A 220v circuit. The plug that came with the saw is correct; a 15A 240v plug.
        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

If the centrifugal switch in the motor is stuck It will do as you said, go on overload after running for a minute. After that I would check the run capacitor and connections.
          Good luck. Mark
          WCraig and smallerstick like this.
          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
            If the centrifugal switch in the motor is stuck It will do as you said, go on overload after running for a minute. After that I would check the run capacitor and connections.
            Good luck. Mark
            After sitting unused for a while, that would make sense. Thanks, Mark.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Did you get this sorted Peter?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR8 View Post
                Did you get this sorted Peter?
                I have the motor out now going to the repair shop tomorrow. I'll know soon enough what the difficulty is. The balance of the saw has been cleaned up and is just about ready to be reassembled.
                DavidR8 likes this.

Comment

if you can clean up and tuneup a unisaw, you can disassemble a motor and cleanup the centrifugal switch!!
                  hardest part would be getting the motor out of the saw
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                    if you can clean up and tuneup a unisaw, you can disassemble a motor and cleanup the centrifugal switch!!
                    hardest part would be getting the motor out of the saw
                    I understand the logic and I agree with you, I just have not achieved a comfort level working inside electric motors. Call it a mental block or whatever, I just find myself running to the motor shop whenever I encounter an electrical issue. And yes, you're right. getting the motor out of the saw is a challenge all by itself; those suckers are not light!

Comment

Working...
                    X