Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back into a PK

Hello, folks.

Last you heard from me, I was selling my shop due to other priorities taking over a few years ago. I saved my PK until the end, hoping it could be rat-holed and spared. But alas, that had to go as well. Fortunately, it went to a nice fellow from Massachusetts that would be restoring it.

Now that circumstances have stabilized, I've been back in the hunt for a vintage slider. I was fine with any of the big boys: Greenlee, Whitney, Oliver, Tannewitz, etc. (excluding the UK exotics that never pop up). But after missing a Greenlee 495s recently, a few messages with the seller revealed that he had a PK that would be for sale as well. I didn't hesitate, surprised I had even encountered another one after my first, much less had the opportunity to buy it. I did pay more than I had ever paid for a machine, but I couldn't argue with the seller just wanting to get his money out of it. I've had enough fortune paying low prices for machines that I can't complain when the pendulum swings the other way occasionally. The fateful icing on the cake that sealed the deal for me was that he'd be traveling the 700-mile distance between us in the near future and could bring the saw along for a modest gas fee. The seller is a member here, is a nice guy, and was great throughout the deal.

I won't be tearing into this one, instead just working to get it into service. I am between shops and don't want to deal with a months-long restoration in a small garage. But I wanted to at least post some pics of some weird/uncommon things with this PK, along with a couple of questions for the folks here.

-----

First off, this is an extended table version. Of all the PK variations, I think this is the one I'd want and was fortunately the one I ended up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	1264777

Name:	IMG_4274.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	1264767

Even though it would be impossible to get the mating edges wrong, both sides of the table seam are stamped with a "C."

Name:	IMG_4267.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	1264774Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4266.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1264771

The inlaid rule in the extended table has markings out to a full 48". The remainder of the rule is unmarked and serves essentially as a filler strip.

Name:	IMG_4277.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	1264761

The miter slots are t-slots and not just trenches. I could be wrong, but I don't believe I've seen that before on a PK.

Name:	IMG_4268.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	1264775

The sliding table has seen some alterations. The original quadrant pivot pin hole was filled and filed, with a new hole infringing on it.

Name:	IMG_4271.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1264766

And a similar near-miss for the 90-degree lock tapered hole.

Name:	IMG_4272.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	1264764

Even the "MITRE" plug wasn't spared.

Name:	IMG_4273.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1264763

The sliding table lock pin was bastardized at some point. To my untrained eye, only the base, spring, and one screw are original.

Name:	IMG_4263.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	1264773Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4264.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	1264772

The first task at hand is making a pattern for at least the front half of the quadrant. While planning that out, that raises my first question: Can I use the edge of the wooden lip recess on the sliding table as a reference for my 90 degrees? I know there is some lateral adjustment in the sliding table's travel, so my rationale is that I can use that adjustment to fine tune to 90 after it is all together again with the new quadrant. The reason I want to use that edge is because that means I can remove the sliding table to take with me to the machine shop where I can do all my measuring and machining once the casting is back. It would make that process much easier and quicker.

I'll try to keep things updated as I move along here. Thanks!

Attached Files
    furnman, Matt Matt and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Back into a PK

Good luck as you progress.

Noel
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

I've never seen the infill hole as a t slot. The only original bit of the slider release is the spring and mounting plate like you said. You can use the machined edge of the slider and the machined edge of the main table as referances for alignment.
      www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Zayd, good to see you back. My PK was one of the last ones made and doesn't have a T slot. Dave

Comment

Can't wait to see it all put together with the table extension!

Comment

The PP has t-slots. I wonder if, given post #4 above, if your table top comes off a PP? There are some castings on my machine which are interchangeable with the PK, so I would not be surprised if the dimensions and mounting bolt locations for the top were the same between PP and PK.
            Last edited by Chris Hall; 01-05-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Chris... I’ll check for a part number under the table and report back.

Comment

I was thinking that the only thing that doesn't quite add up with my suggestion that your saw table comes off a PP is that your sliding table also appears to have the T-slot, but the sliding table casting for the PP would not fit on the PK as the bearing mechanism is entirely different between the two. So this presents a conundrum.

Comment

You are correct, Chris - both slots are t-slots.

And it looks like PK parts:

Sliding table

Main table (can make out the “PK”)

Extended table
                  Last edited by zayd762; 01-06-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting. You have an anomalous type of table top by all accounts. I wonder how that came to be?

The motor on your machine is direct drive, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Hall View Post
                      The motor on your machine is direct drive, yes?
                      Yes, direct drive.

Comment

Originally posted by zayd762 View Post
                        ...The sliding table lock pin was bastardized at some point. To my untrained eye, only the base, spring, and one screw are original.

Name:	IMG_4263.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	1264773Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4264.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	1264772

The first task at hand is making a pattern for at least the front half of the quadrant...
                        The sliding table lock on your machine should look like this.

Name:	0[1].jpg
Views:	184
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1265094Click image for larger version

Name:	0[2].jpg
Views:	165
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1265095

That's the lock on my rather beaten up Generation 3 PK.

However, The Generation 1 & 2 PKs used a slightly different slider lock, which I believe is identical to the lock on the mitre (quadrant). I know yours is a Generation 4 machine, but as you're looking at making a pattern for the front half of a mitre, you might want to consider making two sets of parts for the lock - one for the mitre and one for the table.

Of course Matt Matt is currently machining a bunch of mitres - you might want to talk to him about his pattern.

Cheers, Vann.

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

zayd762, I sent you a PM.

Comment

Thanks, Vann that is helpful. That is the same lock as my previous Gen 4. Your suggestion to make a couple of locks is a good one. Ill make a pattern for the slider lock lever, although Im inclined to improve the aesthetics. Ive always thought that lever was uncharacteristically ugly, contrary to the rest of the saw.

Comment

I've been gathering info for the quadrant pattern. I've got a nice OWWMer sending me a tracing of his quadrant. I'll use that and some important measurements and make a pattern with extra margin for shrinkage and milling.

While I wait on that, I want to get a start on some of the turned parts. If anyone can provide some or all of the measurements in the pic, that would be a huge help. And the angle of the taper would be great to know so I don't have to rely on deriving it.

Name:	lockpindimensions.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1266022

Comment

Working...
                              X