Back into a PK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back into a PK

I've not removed the locking pin from my slider. I have however, removed the pins from both my double mitres (and they're not the same as each other ). I'll try to find time to measure them tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here are some sketches Robert Brown (the Melbourne Rob Brown) sent me. He too was hoping to make patterns - and had measured up someone else's mitres.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock Pin Rob4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1266033

Name:	Lock Pin Rob1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1266032

Name:	Lock Pin Rob2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1266031

Name:	Lock Pin Rob3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1266030

I hope they're of some use.

Cheers, Vann.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Vann -- to a quadrant-less guy like me, this is a gold mine. I can't make out all the numbers, but this will get me well on my way. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by zayd762 View Post
        ...Thank you!
        Don't thank me, thank Rob. (maybe tomorrow you can thank me if I remember to measure my own pins).

Looking at the last picture, it looks like Rob turned up a trial pin. Looking at the last two pictures, it looks like he re-drew his first measurements to round off most dimensions. be careful - if you make a new pin to those dimensions it may not fit old holes, such as one in your slider lock. E.g. he has rounded up 5/8" (15.875mm), 15.86mm on his first sketch, to 16mm.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

I was looking at the last 2 pics and they looked familiar, then I realised it was my writing. I did them for Jarret 7 years ago
          www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post
            I was looking at the last 2 pics and they looked familiar, then I realised it was my writing. I did them for Jarret 7 years ago
            Thanks wallace. Your sketches have done the rounds: from you to Jack; to Rob; to me; and on to zayd (from England to Canada; to Oz; to New Zealand; and to USA).

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

I guess parts for the PK can be an issue. I know Arthor F. Was working on quadrant replacements but I haven't heard much from Arthur since 2016. I was prepared to make the quadrants if I had to and had no idea that my PK was going to be a cosmoline time capsule. As I will be restoring and jackifying my PK, I guess I should document the bits as I go thru them. I will be making patterns for the quadrant but these will be spot on to the wadkin designs. As I also need an over arm support for my oliver shaper, it would be a good idea to pour the quadrants at the same time. Let me know if anyone needs dims etc.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by J Vann View Post
                I...I'll try to find time to measure them tomorrow...
                Here you go, how's this for measuring something tomorrow (check the date on that newspaper )

Name:	PK pin.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1266545

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Itís a message from the future as far as Iím concerned. Itís still the 16th here!

And just in time, as Iím picking up my metal lathe tomorrow. Iíll put in some time this weekend and see what comes out the other end.

Thanks again.

Comment

Interesting that the tapers are different. I wonder what the rationale was for that.

Comment

I would think that loads on the pin used to lock the sliding table are going to be potentially higher than loads on the miter fence locating pin, requiring a heftier pin, if those are the two parts being compared.

Comment

Working...
                      X