Origins of the Preston 132 Bandsaw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins of the Preston 132 Bandsaw.

I was stalking l.s.barker1970 on Instagram (as he doesn't seem to post on forums anymore, and I wanted to see what he was up to).

About a year ago he was at a sale of old machinery in Victoria, Australia. He posted pictures of several old rusty machines and one caught my eye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	West1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1266827

But it's not a Preston, it's a West Side.

Name:	West2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	1266829

Name:	West3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1266828

Apart from the wheels, the similarities with Preston are amazing.

All photos courtesy of l.s.barker1970.

Cheers, Vann.
    nnieman likes this.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Origins of the Preston 132 Bandsaw.

great find. so many of the castings are the same. I wonder what the story is ?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian2 View Post
      ...so many of the castings are the same. I wonder what the story is ?
      Agreed. Just look at the gusset on the table tilt arm

Name:	West4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1266990

There must be 100 differing shapes you could make that gusset, but it's identical to the one on my Preston 132 - as is every detail on the handwheel.

Name:	Prest4b.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1266988

Name:	Prest4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1266989
      Cheers, Vann.
      Egon likes this.

Comment

I know a lot of companies copied successful ideas from other companies. But the copying here is just too close.

Originally posted by Vintage machinery
        And Edward Joseph transitioned from the manufacture of woodworking machinery to road maintenance machinery – including “scraper” grading blades with early hydraulics. He sold the West Side Iron Works woodworking machinery business to a Chicago company in 1921.
        I wonder if the design was copied (with or without consent) or whether Preston Woodworking Machinery Co. Ltd. bought the rights and the patterns as West Side Iron Works 'transitioned' out of wood working machinery?

VM have a catalogue picture of the 132 bandsaw purportedly dating to 1916 - with doesn't quite tie in with the sale to a Chicago company in 1921. My own Preston 132 dates to 1928 (or slightly earlier).

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

First! That is a great picture!
          The squarish hub on the top and bottom wheels are clunky looking as well at the top bearing. Looks newer than ours Vann. What do you think?
          I think they must have made a number of them with the slight oddities for special export from Preston Ontario. To many of the castings are identical. The one thing about them all is the table. All the same with the narrow part in front of the blade and the wide part behind the blade. Extremely heavy top as well.
          Thanks for sharing this! My kind of machine!

Comment

Originally posted by washboard View Post
            ...The squarish hub on the top and bottom wheels are clunky looking as well at the top bearing. Looks newer than ours Vann. What do you think?
            I think they must have made a number of them with the slight oddities for special export from Preston Ontario...
            I'm not really sure what to think. Maybe Preston did make them for West Side - I hadn't considered that before you suggested it. Although it does say "Made in U.S.A." on the main casting.

I looked up West Side on the VM site. Some of the other West Side bandsaws have fabricated wheels (not cast like this one) like the top wheel on my Preston.

Here are the rest of the photos (all photos taken by Melbourne Matty - alias l.s.barker1970)

Name:	WS 7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1267482

Name:	WS 6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1267481

Name:	WS 5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1267479

Name:	WS 4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	1267480

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X