Rockwell model 28115 10" bandsaw lower bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell model 28115 10" bandsaw lower bushings

I picked up a Delta Rockwell, Canadian made 10" band saw today. Generally in good shape, it has worn out bushings on the lower (drive) shaft. It has been slightly modified already, to repair a worn shaft where the driven pulley used to sit and the repair was nicely done.

My question has to do with replacing the drive shaft bushings with something a bit different. Originally there were cast bronze self lubricating bushings pressed into the cast iron lower housing. I am thinking about replacing them with needle bearings. I can get exact fit needle bearings and I am pretty sure I can also get oil seals to fit. I have the original bushings pressed out and the replacement needles would be the same width.

Any reason not to install needles and seals and then keep the reservoir topped up? Or, should I stick with bronze bushings and no seals?

Thoughts ??

cheers

EDIT :: this is what I am thinking about installing :

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDI-Express_Rockwell-28115.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	1269011
    Last edited by John Bartley; 02-01-2020, 02:22 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell model 28115 10" bandsaw lower bushings

I can't think of any reason not to, after all most band saws have bearings and not bushings. Provided you can get seals to keep dust out, the bearings should do fine.

Would those bearings do better with grease and not oil though? (I'm assuming you meant oil when you said 'keep the reservoir topped up')

Comment

John, was surprised that the seals were 30% more than the bearings. Is that usual? Roy
      Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy in Thunder Bay View Post
        John, was surprised that the seals were 30% more than the bearings. Is that usual? Roy
        The seals took me a bit of searching to find. I guess being in inch dimensions instead of metric and being pretty small they aren't common. The bearings on the other hand are used in tons of places, so .... I guess I can understand it. Also, the seals are CR/SKF, and the bearings are Koyo, known for being inexpensive.

I think I am going to go ahead and do this with bearings instead of bushings. Bushings are more expensive, I can't find them in the exact size I need so to make them work and last I'll have to machine them to fit a bit tight, then I'll have to line ream them and that means buying a 5/8" reamer .... something I've yet to own. The bearings will just press in.

cheers

Comment

John, thanks for the info..... Supply/Demand always wins! Roy
          Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Update ::

The Koyo J-1012 bearings are a perfect fit on the lower wheel shaft, as are the CR-6105 seals. All the forces on this shaft are lateral, so I installed a couple of flat washers between the pulley/wheel/casing to keep the longitudinal movement to a minimum. I'm still waiting for one bearing, so this is all temporary so far. I also disassembled the thrust bearing assemblies to try and grease the bearings, but ... sometimes they're just too far gone . These will work, but lubing them this time is going to be the last time. The thrust bearings are NICE 3002DS and they are available all over the place, so once I have ran the saw and know it's going to be ok I'll order a pair of them.

cheers
            Beaverfever1988 likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X