Wadkin RZ Jointer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin RZ Jointer

Hello everyone, first time poster but longer time reader.Thanks for the knowledge but not for the damage to my bank account! Kind of caught the Wadkin bug along with the other old Arn longings. Thinking of pulling my Wadkin RZ jointer (or should I say surface planer?) out of storage and getting it up and running. I'll want to put a helix head on it before tune up and haven't been able to find specs for the head anywhere. Would any one know where I might find them?Its a 16" two knife skewed head. Byrd hasn't done one of these yet so can't make one without specs or the head itself. My problem is the machine is buried pretty deep in storage and I would need to get it out then take out the head to measure it. Just trying to have all my ducks in a row and the head made before making the switch so as not to be down to long without jointer. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wadkin RZ Jointer

I have the 12" RZ skewed head. Cant help other than maybe diameter.
    Would be interested in the price you finally get though. Might post here also.

http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=...602f6b282fd55c
    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by braunvieh View Post
      Hello everyone, first time poster but longer time reader.Thanks for the knowledge but not for the damage to my bank account! Kind of caught the Wadkin bug along with the other old Arn longings. Thinking of pulling my Wadkin RZ jointer (or should I say surface planer?) out of storage and getting it up and running. I'll want to put a helix head on it before tune up and haven't been able to find specs for the head anywhere. Would any one know where I might find them?Its a 16" two knife skewed head. Byrd hasn't done one of these yet so can't make one without specs or the head itself. My problem is the machine is buried pretty deep in storage and I would need to get it out then take out the head to measure it. Just trying to have all my ducks in a row and the head made before making the switch so as not to be down to long without jointer. Thanks in advance for any info.
      I would strongly suggest you try it first. You'll be very impressed with the cut quality from the large diameter, skew knife head. I have a RD with the same head, and my Byrd head jointer doesn't produce a finish that is much better. I certainly wouldn't change mine.
      M.McKenna likes this.
      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

redlee I will post when I get a price. Timberframe thanks for the response. I'm sure its a good head but I am terrible at setting knives and also lazy so I love the insert heads. Also the insert heads allows me to clean up glue ups and run plywood worry free.
        Last edited by braunvieh; 03-28-2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
          I have the 12" RZ skewed head...
          Yeah some have the two knife clam-shell type head with skew knives. Others have a more modern (= safer) four knife head - and I think the knives are parallel.

The two knife head is the same design as that fitted to the RB (9"); RD (12" & 16"); and RM. Only the length changes. Even the bearings are the same (but longer heads have two bearings at the driven end). Surely Byrd has done one of those models?

When you dig yours out of storage can we have some photos please?

Cheers, Vann.
          Last edited by J Vann; 03-28-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

redlee I will post when I get a price. Timberframe thanks for the response. I'm sure its a good head but I am terrible at setting knives and also lazy so I love the insert heads. Also the insert heads allows me to clean up glue ups and run plywood worry free.
            I have carbide knives in mine so will do glueups no problem and the knife setting system in them is pretty good. If you go for a segmented head, look seriously at Hermance. Much better design, and also made in USA. They do big industrial machines all the time, whereas Byrd heads are mainly in smaller machines.

Comment

I, too have a Wadkin, and like others here, it's an RD. I am running high speed steel knives and have been immensely impressed with its skewed-knife performance. But unlike me, if you're doing this for a living and are running thousands of board feet weekly, then I can see the logic of such an investment. If that's not the case, then although it will certainly run more quietly and with improved dust collection, I'd think twice as the cuts will likely not be any better.
              All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
              - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Good information J Vann. Thank you I will call them Monday and find out if they have done a head for one of the other models that used the same head. Timberframe I have just tried to call hermance once,didnt get through, after hours, gave up after that as I heard they were more expensive. I don't know that that is true so will call them also to see if they have done one of these heads. thanks

Comment

I had a powermatic planer with high speed steel blades and have sharpened it many times and prefer the finish it leaves when freshly ground and honed. pretty simple to do in place. I think the fact that ground and honed in place leaves the knifes perfectly concentric has as much to do with the quality of cut as the sharpness is decent but not as good as a jointer knife freshly sharpened off the machine. The stones available for the ground in place mechanisms on the powermatic are very coarse. With that in mind I have always been anal about getting my jointer knives set perfect. This drove me crazy on my grizzly 12 " jointer. I bought a helix head for it and loved it after that or at least the job it did. I hope the Wadkin is easier to set the knifes and believe it will be.I also sold my 225 planer when my local high school auctioned off theirs that had been updated to a helix head about 5 years ago. It was also in great shape only having planed high school project lumber for 50 years. my old one came off a factory floor and I'am sure planed that much the first year. They had never turned the inserts. I turned them tuned up the outfield pressure bar and haven't touched it since.I no longer even look at grain direction before I feed It. My lazy streak loves the insert heads I just wish they were not so costly.Hope that all makes sense.
                  Last edited by braunvieh; 03-29-2020, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I had a powermatic planer with high speed steel blades and have sharpened it many times and prefer the finish it leaves when freshly ground and honed. pretty simple to do in place. I think the fact that ground and honed in place leaves the knifes perfectly concentric has as much to do with the quality of cut as the sharpness is decent but not as good as a jointer knife freshly sharpened off the machine. The stones available for the ground in place mechanisms on the powermatic are very coarse. With that in mind I have always been anal about getting my jointer knives set perfect. This drove me crazy on my grizzly 12 " jointer. I bought a helix head for it and loved it after that or at least the job it did. I hope the Wadkin is easier to set the knifes and believe it will be.I also sold my 225 planer when my local high school auctioned off theirs that had been updated to a helix head about 5 years ago. It was also in great shape only having planed high school project lumber for 50 years. my old one came off a factory floor and I'am sure planed that much the first year. They had never turned the inserts. I turned them tuned up the outfield pressure bar and haven't touched it since.I no longer even look at grain direction before I feed It. My lazy streak loves the insert heads I just wish they were not so costly.Hope that all makes sense.
                    Here's a thread where they talk about Byrd vs. Hermance and I guess for a 16" jointer, the price difference was $200, but the wait time was 9 mos. less! I think the Hermance is probably safer than the perched cutter style of the Byrd head.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=Hermance
                    Last edited by timberframe; 03-29-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks timberframe . Good discussion. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Comment

Got ahold of Hermance this morning. They said they had done one Wadkin RZ 16” jointer head. It was for a RZ2095. Mine is RZ1682. Guessing same heads but don’t know what the number difference represents

Comment

They priced it out at 2400$ freight included. Didn’t get a time frame as wasn’t sure it was the right head. Only info they shared was the Wadkin RZ2095 16” 120mm cut circle, 6rows, 114 inserts.

Comment

...It was for a RZ2095. Mine is RZ1682. Guessing same heads but don’t know what the number difference represents
                            RZ is the model. 2095 and 1682 are serial numbers. It seems that Wadkin started most of their serial numbers at 105, which would suggest yous is the 1578th RZ made (though I think there are some anomalies in the RZ numbering, so that might not be the case).

You know you can date your machine using the Test Number?

Cheers, Vann.
                            Last edited by J Vann; 03-31-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

They priced it out at 2400$ freight included. Didn’t get a time frame as wasn’t sure it was the right head. Only info they shared was the Wadkin RZ2095 16” 120mm cut circle, 6rows, 114 inserts.
                              At that price you should get a quote from Taiwan before proceeding. I have asked Igor to share his contact there.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X