Tool gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	958.6 KB ID:	1280577Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1280576 i open up face book tonight and there is a vintage delta 15" drill press with complete foot feed and light for $150 and it's only fifteen minutes away,Already have a sweet Buffalo 15,but couldn't resist at that price,heft the motor is only a year old!
    table is full of shame and light works but more electrical tape than original casing,but the shade is there. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1280575
    KenL, redlee and 4 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tool gloat

Turns out the feed arm is there,fell off in my trailer,lol

Comment

That a nice DP I have one hust like yours.

Comment

Sweet find, with the lamp as well, the foot feed is addictive, I have one for my General press.
        Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Man, Al, that's one super score! Good going!!!
          All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
          - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Yup. You suck! Jealous
            Mike

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Nice score Al
              Darrin

Timber Elegance
              My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks gentlemen
                i have looked over the dp today,there are a few things about it I need to address,will mention them but may also start a new thread with the a title that identifies the machine if this lacks in responses of focused information
                first,with the foot feed dis engaged,using the hand feed,the quil does not retract on its own.i have played with the adjustment,but would help if I knew the correct procedure for this machine.
                second,it's noisy running.i can not feel any obvious play in the quill,but have not put a indicator on it yet.i removed the belt,it is in poor condition,so that is at least a partial cause.also,the bore on the motor pulley is worn and does not turn true,so also a factor in the noise,and most likly why the belt is in the condition it is.
                the more modern motor itself is noisier than some better quality motors I have
                that brings me to this,and if someone with the same machine can comment,please do.
                it seems to me the pulleys are upside down.the pulley on the quill has the large dia to the top,opposite of any drillpress I've ever used,and opposite of any pictures of this model I can find.
                Last edited by al.m..; 04-28-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Update
                  after writing the above,I went to shop and rolled up my sleeves.I removed the pulleys,and for the life of me could see no reason they could not be flipped,or why the were the way they were,so I inverted both.the significance of this is it gave about 9/16" of bore on the motor pulley that was not worn,once in mid air that is now registered on the bottom of the motor pulley.i then cut up a beer can( where did that come from?) and forced progressively narrower pieces into the top of the pulley bore opposite the key,tightening the grub screws,running,and fiddling like that until it I got it as true as I could,not perfect ,but significantly better.i also adjusted the alignment of the pulleys,that was off about 3/8".i then searched my belt inventory,and by chance have a un used Kevlar belt that fit.net I played with a couple of bolts in the head that appeared to be some sort of means of adjusting the quill ,the top one only moved about a eighth of a turn,the lower one was actually loose,so I snugged it firm.the combined results are dramatic,it is quiet and smooth running free and under load. Still need to figure out the return spring

Comment

Nice Drill Press! I had the same issue with no quill return on a 15" Buffalo. It turned out that the return spring had been broken, shortened and when I got it, it was at about it's life's end. It needed to be replaced. Thanks to this forum, I found one. So to return the favour, here's one for you https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quill-Return-Coil-Spring-Assembly-15-Rockwell-Delta-12-Ryobi-Jet-Wen-Drill-Press/233553835777?hash=item3660e4b701:g:hiEAAOSwRfxcRbL t I am sure that there are less expensive ones available if you want to do some serious searching.

Comment

Working...
                    X