Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beaver Callander Foundry Serial Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaver Callander Foundry Serial Numbers?

I haven't been able to find how Callander Beaver machine serial number decipher.. I'm curious, because I'd like to more closely estimate build dates. I know the pre-Rockwell machines were built up to (around?) 1954, but I was wondering if there is some sort of age to serial number type of list available.

Does anyone have this information?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Beaver Callander Foundry Serial Numbers?

It would indeed be interesting to have that. There are several 3400 lathes listed with approximate dates and serial numbers in the "definitive" thread of the turning forum. But do the other Beaver machine models each have their own serial number sequences?
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

I do not think that the original Beavers had any serial numbers. I have 2 of what I believe are early 3400 lathes with very subtle differences. One has headstock bolts that are knurled and flat head grub screws for the outboard collar. The other has plain headstock bolts and allen key style grub screws on the outboard collar. Both have built in pin centers in their tailstock rams. There are no serial numbers on either and there is no evidence that there ever was a plate.

Comment

most of the beavers that i have owned(30+) were callander foundry and most of those never had serial number plates(no holes in later plate locations)
        the 4 i have left do not have them either.
        when serial numbers started is anybody's guess
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Note that Rockwell International closed the Canadian operation (which was based in Guelph) in about1989. No one knows for sure but it seems that any serial number records related to Canada were simply trashed at that time.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X