Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy 6” x 5/8” x 1/8” jointer knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy 6” x 5/8” x 1/8” jointer knives?

Hi, I need to get knives for a 6’’ Beaver jointer. This is my first time making such a purchase, so in case there are better brands, or places to stay away from, I could benefit from those with experience.

I found these made by Dimar.
    https://www.globaltooling.com/collec...aner-knife-set

Thanks!
    sophie
    Last edited by sophien; 06-25-2020, 08:53 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Where to buy 6” x 5/8” x 1/8” jointer knives?

When I was working in joinery workshops on planers much bigger 300mm wide sometimes the knives became too narrow after too many sharpens and were left sitting on the shelf useless, I took some of these cut them in half and now use them on my 150mm planer.
    Problems are, some are too wide and protrude from the cutter block too far and make more noise (beating the air) some are thicker but that still may work for you, You do have to cut them in half and sharpen the end if you rebate with them, I would say any saw doctor will have them, the Dimar knives will be good ones, search industrial knives in your area.

Comment

This is a great place for blade and bit sharpening. I think they also sell new :

Click image for larger version  Name:	goldsmith.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	1288663

Click image for larger version

Name:	goldsmith2.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1288665

Comment

Moldingknives.com have them for a little less ($42). http://www.moldingknives.com

Pete

Comment

Sophien get in touch with Elite tools in Levis Quebec, they will cut them the lenght you want. Their is another place call Gladu in Marieville Quebec also.
          sophien likes this.

Comment

Canadian Woodworker has them in stock. You can order online. They are $30.00

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcanwoodworker View Post
              Canadian Woodworker has them in stock. You can order online. They are $30.00
              $30 per knife seems steep, no?

Comment

No. I consider it cheap compared to the $48US for the 2 blades I would need for the jointer side of my Hitachi planer/jointer.

Pete

Whoops. Just registered in my little brain $30 each not per set like I was thinking.
                Last edited by QC Inspector; 06-26-2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

https://mywoodcutters.com/Planer-Joi..._SVB6125625125

$34.50 for a set of 3 of 6 1/8" x 5/8" x 1/8" HSS. They are in Sooke BC.

Pete
                  sophien likes this.

Comment

This is from Dimars website. We mostly sell their 18% as we find them to be the best value. The 6in blades you need are very common. The grade of steel determines how long the blade holds an edge and you typically see a large difference with better knives. Anyone in the tooling/sharpening business can either order or cut what you need.

Planer Knives (HSS 6-7% Tungsten)

Dimar HSS (6-7% Tungsten) planer knives are suitable for hard and soft woods such as: Cedar, Douglas fir, Pine, Popular and Spruce. Produces the finest finish in short to medium runs. All Dimar HSS knives offer excellent wear resistance.

Planer Knives (HSS 18% Tungsten)
                    Suitable for hard & soft woods such as: Cedar, Douglas fir, Pine, Poplar and Spruce.
                    HSS 18% Knives Produces the finest finish in medium to long runs. Superb wear resistance.
                    Lasts 3-5 times longer than M2.

Planer Knives (Carbide Tipped)
                    The knives are ground flat, sharpened then lapped by diamond wheels.
                    Especially suitable for: hardwood, pressed wood, layered wood and all laminated materials.

Mark
                    www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

The price of $30.00 is for a set of three 6" CMT HSS jointer knives....

Cole Moore
                      Canadian Woodworker Ltd

Comment

means nothing what type of steel?   recycled cambell soup cans off shore HSS.   there are likely five diff types T1 M2 what?   . Poor quality in some new machines

18 percent that mark spoke of if you want quality stuff

anyone know why this is stick in A's for me   only site doing it and cant erase them just breeds more

Comment

I got some at Busy Bee a couple of years ago.   No idea what brand but they're working well.

Comment

Working...
                          X