Need info on kindt collins spindle sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on kindt collins spindle sander

Hello.. I need info on the table slide option used on the kc spindle sander. Thanks.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need info on kindt collins spindle sander

Dev, I'm back in town and can take some pics and measurements.  Here's a pic of the dovetail slides.  Let me know specifically what you need.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	460.8 KB ID:	1292213
    Last edited by zayd762; 08-01-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Biggest issue is lead screw right now. I have some info now but in incomplete. The core box attachment is related to small slide but I don't know how exactly. Still working the mahogany patterns for the oliver fence. Fillets and   curves and draft are really time consuming. The fence face may will d up a split pattern or I may need a follower board due to the dovetail slide.

Comment

I can measure up my lead screw -- what dimensions do you need? The screw only connects to the long dovetail. Unless the long and short dovetails are somehow bound together through the core box attachment, it doesn't control movement of the short dovetail.
        Last edited by zayd762; 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Another thing: be careful if you plan to machine your own dovetail slots. You may need to machine thinner slots, as KC cast in thicker material where the slides go. When I had both versions of the sander, I snapped pics of the table undersides:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5027.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	319.9 KB ID:	1292338  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5028.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	451.3 KB ID:	1292337

Attached Files
          Last edited by zayd762; 08-03-2020, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Interesting. As much as I am missing, I did get my paws on a late model table drawing. Mine was made in 1984. On later models, the table was part #11826 and the slot table is #11826-A. According to the drawing, you begin with 11826 and then machine the slots for the dash A version.   I have been able to identify two versions of the core box attachment. The older one has a rib running thru MASTER. References in the catalogs suggest there was a period of time where the core box attachment was not available. Your older machine may have been from this period as no provisions for the slot machining was provided. Newer machines were shipped with the 11826 table which can be machined for slots. I have learned much about these sanders of late.

Comment

The short table insert still bothers me. It has no provision for precise movement and I think its sole purpose in life is to help retain the core box while the longer table allows one to set the core box radius. Once set, you lock the core box to the core box rotary table. This allows you to rotate the core box attachment against the spindle. Naturally, if you use the vernier to tilt the spindle, on can cut or shape a precise cone shaped core box. Certainly   one can 3D print these core boxes today. Also, old school complex core boxes need to be assembled from several parts and the curves must be faired in with files and rifflers. These can be quite time consuming. I really admire some of the work done by early patternmakers.

Comment

Looking at the core box attachment pics on the ebay auction and the catalog prints included in the listing, it seems the dovetail ways indeed control distance to the sanding spindle. My hypothesis is that screws #1 and #2 attach to the dovetail slides at #3 and #4. This binds both slides together and allows the lead screw on the long dovetail to control the entire assembly and therefore distance to spindle. I was thrown for a while because the two holes in the core box base (#1 and #2) look like they bind the base to the dovetails and wouldn't allow the core box attachment to rotate, but I think those are access holes on the top plate (that rotates) that allow you to screw the bottom plate (doesn't rotate) to the dovetail slides. If you look closely at the various shots from the catalog prints, you can see that the whole assembly (dovetails and core box attachment) moves together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corebox.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1292481

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 12.52.45 PM.png
Views:	23
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	1292480

Attached Files

Comment

I think your right. In the catalog prints, it is clear there is movement in the smaller slide. This would mean that the radius is controlled by the leadscrew and the accuracy thus obtained is extremely tight.

Comment

Another note. The one on ebay has three ribs and two clamp screws... one on each side. Matt Tebos has two ribs and only one clamp screw. Question now is which model is newer and was there an issue with the attachment slipping off the plate.

Comment

Where I think I was wrong is that the base plate drops in like a regular throat plate. This would lock the whole assembly allowing radius adjustment only tru thr core box attachment clamp screws. If the throat plate is not used, then one needs to rely on one of the two special throat plates included in the attachment. This allows the two dovetail slides to move into the area once populated by a standard throat plate. A very clever design.

Comment

Working...
                      X