General 330 power requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General 330 power requirements

Hi I just purchased a 3 phase General 330 planer and need some advice on a new single phase motor. I have a Rockwell 13 x6 planer with a Byrd head. It has a 5Hp motor and struggles on heavy 13 inch cuts. A 5 hp motor has been suggested for the 330 but I can't see that that would have enough power. Any advice? Also if I go with a 7.5 single phase motor I want to be able to have it mobile what options are available for 50 amp plugs and receptacles? Thanks Ted
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: General 330 power requirements

Originally posted by Teddav View Post
    Hi I just purchased a 3 phase General 330 planer and need some advice on a new single phase motor. I have a Rockwell 13 x6 planer with a Byrd head. It has a 5Hp motor and struggles on heavy 13 inch cuts. A 5 hp motor has been suggested for the 330 but I can't see that that would have enough power. Any advice? Also if I go with a 7.5 single phase motor I want to be able to have it mobile what options are available for 50 amp plugs and receptacles? Thanks Ted
    Hi Ted, what is the voltage on the motor currently on your 330?  If it's 208/220/240 you could simply purchase a VFD and run it as is on household power.  
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

I am picking the planer up this week. The only thing I know about it is it is 10 hp, 3 phase. I have a Vfd on my 260 lathe that I love but my understanding is that single phase to 3 phase VFD's usually only go up to about 5 hp single phase??

Comment

I am picking the planer up this week. The only thing I know about it is it is 10 hp, 3 phase. I have a Vfd on my 260 lathe that I love but my understanding is that single phase to 3 phase VFD's usually only go up to about 5 hp single phase??
        You can certainly get much more than 5 quite easily these days though of course they get more expensive the bigger they get.   You also don't need to get a 10hp vfd for the 10hp motor, a smaller one programmed properly will run fine unless you start planing 1/4" of oak at the highest feed rate.

Comment

Ok thanks. I will know more when I pick it up. Ted
          timberframe likes this.

Comment

Jack Forsberg sells VFDs for woodworking machines and offers settup consultation too.   Hes a member here.    

Comment

Change the cutters on the Delta/Byrd! Maybe check your belts first, I would put a clamp meter on the feed and see how many amps it pulls when it appears to be struggling.

Comment

The cutters are on a fresh surface so that isn't the problem. I have a clamp meter but have never used it. Do I have to clamp the individual wires or can I clamp the whole cable?
                I may be overly critical of the planer. It never actually stops it just seems to sound like it is going into a lower gear.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

you have to clamp just one hot wire. Spiral heads produce sawdust rather than shavings so there is extra power for mulching required. The amps drawn will tell you a lot.

Comment

Sent you a pm
                    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

5hp sounds like more than enough to me for a 13 inch planer, the 5hp should be good for the larger 330
                      my parks 12 inch is running perfectly with a very old unknown hp single phase repulse induction motor, which im guessing is 3hp
                      my 240 circuit is 20 amp and the parks starts/runs fine on that.
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I think you would be ok with a 5 hp on the 330.
                        I have a 7.5 hp on mine but I think that’s overkill.
                        My 14” jointer has a 1 1/2 hp lesson on it & it’s never struggled (I don’t take huge cuts).

If you are production milling rough lumber than go with a bigger motor.
                        If you are a weekend woodworker than you won’t need it.

It really depends on how you are planning on using it.

Nathan  

Comment

I just got home with the 330 plus a very nice 7.5 single phase motor (thanks Brian). Here are some photos.

Comment

Looks like I have to figure out how to send photos using Tapatalk

Comment

iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X