Help ? part 2 - motor bell end won’t budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ? part 2 - motor bell end won’t budge

Click image for larger version  Name:	8ACE45CB-2171-4AB7-B576-14428A676930.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1292108 Hi again,

now onto the motor. This is an old Walker Turner. I managed to get one of end bells off, but the bearing sure gave me a run for my money. I think I even left part of my youth there. Not really, that’s long gone. Anyway, the second bell refuses to come off. I am patiently hitting it with a piece of wood and hammer, making sure not to strike it directly with the hammer. That second bearing is in there tight, which (I think) is why the bell won’t slide off the shaft. Sanded the shaft to get the rust off, lubricated with WD-40 and PB Blaster, but no success.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
    sophie

Click image for larger version  Name:	AABDA6C5-3D26-41D7-94E7-FAE47C5D8450.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	901.4 KB ID:	1292106 Click image for larger version  Name:	87ACD82E-DCCC-4C14-8BD0-DF514B37B971.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1292107
    Last edited by sophien; 07-31-2020, 03:45 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Help ? part 2 - motor bell end won’t budge

I'm not sure what's going on there. Some bearings have a retaining plate on the inside (the English Electric motor I have apart at the moment does) which retains the bearing - but you'll know if yours has, as you've already taken the other end bell off.

I'd gently heat the end bell (all over to avoid any potential to crack the cast iron - though concentrating around the area where the bearing is housed). Maybe support the end bell between two saw horses (so gravity is your friend) and tap gently when hot. Do not hit too hard (don't want to break that end bell). If it doesn't move with gentle persuasion, allow it to cool, and soak with penetrating oil (not WD-40. 50/50 acetone/ATF would be better) once the temperature is down to just warm - you want it to be drawn in by the final cooling, not turned instantly into vapour.

Next attempt, use a bearing puller through the end holes in the bell to push the shaft out (again with heat).

Good luck.

Cheers, Vann.
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

Sophie if there's room could you slip something like a u shaped plate on the backside of the casting, Then run a couple threaded rods through two of the casting holes and through the u shaped plate. Use threaded rod that are long enough to come out past the shaft end by a inch or two. At the shaft end use a piece of angle iron or something similar. This way you can apply pressure to the shaft and still use the hammer / block to add shock load to help loosen the shaft from the bearing.

Make sure the bearing can fit through the u shaped plate. This basic concept can be modified with longer threaded rods to use a hydraulic jack if there's room.

I see Vann slipped in some good info as I was typing.

Paul
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Paul Smith; 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

as Vann says, check for a retaining device on the inside of the housing, and yes, it might be retained on just one end.

a puller of some kind might help, nothing fancy needed, i use the midsized princess auto one

i would try the puller, tighten it up and apply the heat to the end bell

bearings usually stay on the shaft during disassembly and have to be pulled off the shaft afterwards
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
          as Vann says, check for a retaining device on the inside of the housing, and yes, it might be retained on just one end.

a puller of some kind might help, nothing fancy needed, i use the midsized princess auto one

i would try the puller, tighten it up and apply the heat to the end bell

bearings usually stay on the shaft during disassembly and have to be pulled off the shaft afterwards
          There might be a retaining ring. I have to look more closely. Yes, I will try the puller.

Comment

Big boy puller worked. I removed the cap (seal?) and used the puller. It worked like a charm. Don’t know why I didn’t do that in the first place. I found a video on youtube of a guy working on a wt motor. Sure enough, there is a retaining ring on the inside of the bell. Once I figure out how to remove it, the bearing should come off more easily. I hope I have the tools needed to remove that ring.   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBB5DAD3-A314-4419-A8CA-588F0018B397.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1292188 Click image for larger version

Name:	CE7D5B76-54B2-4ADF-9A4C-E00216EA175F.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1292189 Click image for larger version

Name:	0D4694C4-BC95-4137-8DC3-FF482809E746.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1292190 Click image for larger version

Name:	922DF277-1848-47B1-9B29-2F33411BFE60.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1292191

Between the cap and the bearing is a soft disc that looks and feels like felt. Part of the seal I suppose.  

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The felt pad is for lubrication. It gets soaked in oil.
              sophien likes this.

Comment

well now. Ring on the outside as well.   Click image for larger version

Name:	29CCB291-1E4F-4EA2-9F2B-6D8728BB5E16.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1292197 Click image for larger version

Name:	FBBABFA4-CA9B-4229-9574-E0FF42857F5F.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1292198

Comment

ive done bearings on dozens of motors and that's a new one for me!   there is usually a machined shoulder on one side and sometimes a retainer on the inside

makes it easy to pop the bearing out
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Working...
                  X