T Robinson and son 1950 spindle moulder NC/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T Robinson and son 1950 spindle moulder NC/T

I’ll have to see if that comes true but it certainly appears to be a trendy sheen. The other colors red and black is rattle can oil based here in Canada I use rustoleum . The red for whatever reason is a stock color and personally I like it it’s called regal red.
    everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
    English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by emchdev View Post
      Paint is a problem. We just got hit by more VOC restrictions and POLANE guys are a pain in the rear as they dont want to mix wadkin colors. I like the high gloss as it makes your kit look like a shiny bobble. But its practical too. I find the high gloss finish makes blowing sawdust off the machine very easy. The dust does not like to hang out on shiny hard surfaces.
      Yeah I’m not interested in any of the latex mailbox paint they keep trying to pawn off on me. I don’t care how many times you tell me it’s modified I’m not painting cast-iron with water
      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
      English machines

Comment

tTime to set up for the new cutter blocks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5744.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1298607 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5748.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1298608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5750.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1298609
        timberframe likes this.

jack
        English machines

Comment

I've been mainly following on IG, but it's great to see it on here too. You're going to have a helluva fun machine to use when you're done. Excited to see your outboard fence settup! I've been mulling over a homegrown solution there too.
          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

More so on my metalworking than wood machines, I've started using clear coat Spray Max for the final cover. Auto clear two part clear coat in rattle cans. Depress the plunger in the bottom of the can and mix the two parts. you have 24 hours to finish the can but the stuff is really tough and impervious to chemicals. Acetone won't touch the stuff. you don't want your lungs to touch it either. Dave
            jgarrett forsberg likes this.

Comment

i do not see how to load pic so watch the vid on the Festo handles

Click image for larger version

Name:	WOBE6607.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	1299122

jack
              English machines

Comment

Yup, acetone will not work that well. Acetone works more on epoxy resins than on urathane cat kicked resins. The ca n your talking about is cool. The cat is in the bottom of the can and you can get product with accelerator already mixed. But once you pull the pin, the clock is on! One thing to note. You must be careful with cat kicked urathanes because they contain isocyanates. Jack, funny thing. I just ran across a feature of imron..... its smooth glossy surface allows for rapid cleaning of your fleet and it is resistant to grafitti. Never seen that before.

Comment

ya more detail
                  mikeddd likes this.

jack
                  English machines

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post

Yeah I’m not interested in any of the latex mailbox paint they keep trying to pawn off on me. I don’t care how many times you tell me it’s modified I’m not painting cast-iron with water
                    This.

I live in CA and had the exact same conversation with the paint people... tried to convince me about the "new technology" and that even though it was water based it would be completely and totally fine. Finally just asked him "would you put this on a high quality cast iron tool you owned?" Guy looked at me for a second and then said "no."

Anyway, I can still get great Sherwin Williams industrial paints in Nevada (gotta love the federal system). The current top coat I use is SW's Urethane Alkyd Enamel and it has been great, so if you can still get that where you are I would give it a try. It only comes in gloss though is the only drawback (prefer satin), but can't complain too much.

Edit: I should note I run this over their Kem Kromic primer not DTM. Kem Kromic is awesome stuff. Especially excellent on bare cast. Stuff will stick to anything and everything, so if you spill it on anything that is porous you can pretty much forget cleaning it up.
                    Last edited by KT_NorCal; 10-07-2020, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Lots of oil product available if you have a license.

jack
                      English machines

Comment

Something just occured to me. When I was in high school, the RC model airplane builders used a type of paint to mask off stuff. I used it to "paint" the instrument faces on a clear vacum formed dash board for a dave platt mark V spitfire I built. This thing had a 60 inch wingspan to give an idea of how big it was. The dash was molded out of light weight clear acyclic plastic. Then you spray the dash with color layers using a tiny airbush. primer gray, rust red and finally your flat black. Then you "age" it by rubbing off various layers to make it look old. Then using an xacto knife, you peal the "paint" mask off the instrument faces leaving them clear. Very sharp detail. Like I said, I had totally forgotten about this stuff. I am wondering it would work in detailing the lettering?

An updated version of this stuff... PeelTek at peeltek.com. I will be looking into this goober for wadkin 2077.
                        Last edited by emchdev; 10-07-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I used to use grease to mask machine tags, precision faces etc.

Comment

Letters are fun

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F154ACA-51A7-4D40-B402-772A444C1831.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	1299552
                            Beaverfever1988, timberframe and 2 others like this.

jack
                            English machines

Comment

Holy crap, Jack, you really go to the extreme limit with your rebuilds, don't you?! Not only will this machine work to its maximum capability, but its looks will be, too.

Given the number of hours of painstaking and skillful effort that has gone into breathing life back into this vintage machine, one can only wonder what its monetary value will be...
                              All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                              - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Jack has set a new standard to beat for sure.....But you really cannot buy a new machine anymore made like these. My B-witch list of issues for newer machines is actually quite long and many of you will agree. It may be 70 plus years old but those items where age is an issue have been dealt with. It is fundamentally a new machine made to yesterdays standards plus more. They also designed these machines to be produced from castings using milling machines, metal lathes, metal planers, etc. The technology of the time. Side effect is that these older machine tools have found new life so many of us can actually MAKE the same parts as needed for repair or upgrade. And what is even cooler is that these old high quality machines have brought many walks of life together. We now have our own version of the United Nations. ROCK ON!

Comment

Working...
                                X