Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Wadkin Question: Best way to disassemble rise screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Wadkin Question: Best way to disassemble rise screw?

In breaking down the saw, I removed the main flask tilt casting as one unit. It still has the main screw and gear that rise and lower the blade. Mine is totally greased up and I have spent very little time on this. What is the best way to disassemble this unit? I can see there is a gear on this shaft and the shaft has to be removed out the front. I figure I would ask first before I dig into this and figure it out. Thanks. Its the only sub-assembly still left together.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Stupid Wadkin Question: Best way to disassemble rise screw?

Take the gear box section off the back, this houses a gear and the screw for rise and fall. There is another gear which is held in place by a tapered pin, once the pin is out you can pull the shaft out the front. Be carefull when hitting the tapered pin, if you hit it too hard it will come out too far and you wont be able to rotate the shaft to take it out
    Farmer Giles, emchdev and hennebury like this.
    www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mark, I pulled that small gear box and screw off when I disassembled the saw and found it packed with old solid grease. The gear and main shaft were also grease packed. I had figured there was a taper pin holding the gear but just had not gotten to it yet. The local sheriff has offered to help me move the saw if our fire gets any closer. Everyone had evacuated but I am staying. Got sprinklers on the shop roof and have been cutting trees and brush just in case. Hopefully I can get back to normal soon.

Comment

Good luck against the fire.
        Having forest up against my property line, I am aware of the dangers.
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Best of luck Dev
          emchdev likes this.
          everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
          English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Working...
          X