Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streetcore
    replied
    The fence is back together and working well, so I thought I'd post quick update and a few pics. I also wanted to send a big thank you to Beaverfever1988 for finding a nice vintage Uniguard for me. I love the look of it and it seems like it will be very functional safety feature as well. Only thing I don't like is the way the arm extends out past the back of the saw. One thing I like about the Unisaw is the ability to push it right against the wall when not in use, which can be a bonus in a small shop. So I may try making a new arm for it.

A dust door and motor cover are also in progress, but for now I've got a nice working saw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201227_153821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1309867 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201227_153737.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	1309868 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201227_154933.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	1309869
    Last edited by streetcore; 12-27-2020, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Thanks Randy. That should help clarify things.

I made a bushing today from a rubber washer and a piece of rubber wire insulation that I knew would come in handy someday. It was the perfect size. While I was at it, I made a new rod for the locking lever. The old one was really worn. I haven't put it back together yet, but hopefully the bushing will work all right.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201208_123526_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1307599 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201208_124150_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	1307600 Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201208_143028_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	1307601
    Last edited by streetcore; 12-08-2020, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by streetcore View Post

I hear you. This thread slowly morphed into a restoration thread and I apologize for that. Other members naturally started asking questions and making comments about the saw after it had been moved. I was answering those comments and questions, and then started adding my own as I worked on the saw. I tried to change the thread title to make it more descriptive a while back, but I think only a moderator can do that.
    Done. Hope it helps.

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Part of the problem searching is because people may tack the question onto a long thread about something like ''moving a unisaw'' instead of starting a new thread with a relevant title!
    Rob
    I hear you. This thread slowly morphed into a restoration thread and I apologize for that. Other members naturally started asking questions and making comments about the saw after it had been moved. I was answering those comments and questions, and then started adding my own as I worked on the saw. I tried to change the thread title to make it more descriptive a while back, but I think only a moderator can do that.
    Last edited by streetcore; 12-08-2020, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Originally posted by streetcore View Post

I was searching over at owwm.org and there are lots of posts about worn or deformed rubber bushings causing locking issues. So it must act as a sort of a spring and a spacer at the same time.

Part of the problem searching is because people may tack the question onto a long thread about something like ''moving a unisaw'' instead of starting a new thread with a relevant title!
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Originally posted by Egon View Post
    How much flex is there on the rubber piece. Does it act like a bushing and spacer?
    That's a good question. I'm not really sure what purpose the bushing serves. I'll have to put things back together to get a better idea of how it works. I found some rubber tubing that might work as a replacement, at least temporarily.

I was searching over at owwm.org and there are lots of posts about worn or deformed rubber bushings causing locking issues. So it must act as a sort of a spring and a spacer at the same time.

Edit: found this description of the bushing over at owwm "The resilience of the rubber creates the clamping pressure on the front bar as the locking handle is lowered. After lots of use, the bushing wears to the point that front bar clamping occurs after the rear bar clamp starts to constrict, thus losing the timing crucial to making this a good fence."
    Last edited by streetcore; 12-08-2020, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Egon
    replied
    How much flex is there on the rubber piece. Does it act like a bushing and spacer?

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    I put the rear fence rail on tonight after mbchrapko was generous enough to send me the mounting bolts and spacers I was missing. Unfortunately, while setting the fence up I noticed there was some problems with the locking mechanism and decide to take the fence apart for closer inspection. The pin that holds the main locking cam wheel in place wasn't seated properly, so the cam was crooked and not locking properly. I think I can fix that, but I also discovered a worn rubber bushing seen the pics below. I did a search for the Delta part number 904-08-021-4550 and found it at renovoparts.com, but they want $14.82US for the part and $45.85US for shipping. Seems pretty extreme for a small rubber bushing.

I'll probably try and make something in the meantime, but does anybody know of an alternate source for a rubber bushing like this? Here's a couple pics. From what I understand this style of fence is called a Jet-Lock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201207_230044_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.1 KB ID:	1307509
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201207_230314_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	1307508
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20201207_230057_p.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	1307507
    Last edited by streetcore; 12-08-2020, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
    I would tip it in with the main table still on, it is not a big deal. Cardboard on the floor will make it easier to push in.
    Rob
    That’s exactly how I have done it myself, don’t take the top off....

Rod

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your setup Mike. I'll message you about the Excalibur too. Maybe we can work something out if you're going to be selling one. I do like the vintage look of the Uniguard and it might fit into my small shop better, but it has no dust collection and that's holding me back a bit. I feel like I could probably adapt some dust collection to it, but I haven't been able to find any examples of anyone even attempting this, so maybe it's more difficult than I think.
    Last edited by streetcore; 11-27-2020, 07:45 PM. Reason: Added details

Leave a comment:

• Soak-N-Fused
    replied
    I managed to find an Excalibur splitter BNIB. Pops on and off with a push of a button. I also have the Excalibur Over head guard with dust collection. I actually have 2 and one will be for sale soon
    I DO like the Uniguard also but have never used one.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
    Andy,
    LOOKING GOOD!!
    Keep us posted.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. Are you using a blade guard on your Unisaw? I'd like to put something on mine and was considering the Shark Guard. It seems to be highly recommended on various forums, but I've also got a line on an original overarm Uniguard like the one pictured below. I like that it's vintage and matches the table, as well as the fact that you can flip the guards out of the way and push the disappearing splitter up and down or out the way as needed. They are both fairly expensive with shipping from the states, and either option would cost more than I paid for the saw, but I want to be safe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	uniguard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	1305851

Last edited by streetcore; 11-26-2020, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Soak-N-Fused
    replied
    Andy,
    LOOKING GOOD!!
    Keep us posted.
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• streetcore
    replied
    Making some progress on the Unisaw. It's back together in the basement with new belts, bearings, and paint. I wired up the original Cutler-Hammer switch without the Square D box that was on there when I bought it. I like the look, but think a magnetic switch will definitely be safer and easier to access. Soak-n-fused has one for me, I just have to find time to get to London to pick it up.

I'm also trying to source some bolts and spacers for the rear fence rail. That's really all I need now to get it working. I'll be making a dust door until I can find an original for a reasonable price.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1606423157539791553694466002279.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	1305809
    Last edited by streetcore; 11-26-2020, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X