Delta 1160 - New to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 1160 - New to me

Just picked up a 1936-40 era Delta 1160 and started a cleanup on it.
    I have found a piece of square metal bar just behind the front trunnion that I cannot find in any other picture or parts diagrams found on the internet and I'm wondering if anyone on this site has any clues as to why its there. I had thought that maybe it was a stop for lowering the table but as you see it won't work for that
    There is only one screw holding in in place and in the pictures I show it in the position as found and one where I have rotated in somewhat.
    Paint looks to me to be the same as the rest of the saw but I can't see any part # on the piece or any reason for it.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	1160 barstock.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	1306984 Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta 1160 bar 2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	1306985
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Delta 1160 - New to me

Dave,
    I used to have one of those cool Delta Tilty’s. They have a fatal design flaw and used pot metal zamac on the trunnions. When people move the saws, usually by pulling on the table, the trunnions tend to break.

Yours looks to have some type of repair as you have correctly concluded. You can find used trunnions on eBay from time to time but they seem to be usually selling for probably more than an entire saw is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thankfully Dustin both trunnions are in excellent shape so I'm happy about that.
      I'll continue to investigate and see if I can figure out any use for the addition.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Comment

my 1160 does not have that piece.
        does it reach the bottom of the table? so it would act as an additional brace when the table is level maybe

maybe the tilting function wasn't operating properly, the locking lever can be adjusted easily

and ditto on not moving the saw by grabbing the table!!
        one safe spot to grab is the round bar that supports the guard/splitter assembly provivded the saw is on a good mobile base and smooth floor as mine is. my saw is bolted to a 1300 lb shop fox mobile base, overkill for weight capacity but it has good wheels and brakes
        Last edited by stevem; 12-04-2020, 07:51 PM.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Hi Steve,
          When the trunnions and top are installed the screw that holds the mystery piece in place is not accessible to allow for any adjustment. I'm starting to think that it's some sort of mechanical stop when the table is in the 45deg position.It will have to wait until I re-assemble and tilt the table, maybe it will make contact with one of the fins on the underside of the table and take the table weight off the trunnion?
          There was no issue tilting and locking the table when it was assembled.

Ever live in Dunnville Steve?

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

LOL, never heard of Dunnville, but then i dont even know of oakland either except california!

you can see my 1160 in a video tour of shop here:

(3) Facebook

there is a 45 degree stop on the trunnion but its just a little screw and lock nut, maybe if you used 45 degree bevel a lot, a more secure stop is needed. like most people, i rarely use the tilt on any tablesaw
            Last edited by stevem; 12-05-2020, 12:19 PM.
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have owned 3 of these saws, definitely not an original part. As someone suggested it is probably owner added to act as a stop for the table when tilted.

Comment

Gerry
                I didn't think it would be original but I had to go fishing and ask the question. I'll spend some time when the saw is put back together and try to figure out what the piece is actually doing or there for (I hope).

I just went back into one of my old posts and realized you had posted a 1160 for sale a bit back and it was the pictures of that saw that convinced me I needed one of these tilt top devils. When this saw is cleaned up, and a few missing parts are found I'll retire my 1940 era Shop Smith, I think I'll enjoy the larger table.

Steve, loved seeing your shop in the video. Lots of interesting scenarios run thru my head with all that equipment.

Comment

thanks, everything in there is fully functional and used virtually everyday. im a semuretired carpenter and i also make and sell stuff at craftshows and stores
                  my facebook link to my stuff is at the bottom of my posts
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...
                  X