• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I call this one Elroy

here is my original "baby" craftmaster from years back

single pulley on the furnace fan motor which was hinged to the bench

havent found that spindle yet, i know its here somewhere

and to all with this little lathe, oneway has an adaptor for it, i use my oneway talon on it. thread is 3/4 by 10

i also have a spur drive(threadon) if anybody needs one

i replaced the bushings a couple of years ago, one was badly worn on both lathes. spindle is much tighter now but dont crankup the tailstock

pressure!

and here is one of the early projects from it!

wheel hubs, headlights, rims and few other bits

Last edited by stevem; 01-07-2021, 07:46 PM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I acquired a spare boat tail Craftmaster with the close ratio 4 speed pulley and a very time consuming motor mount that allowed it to shift without changing belts. I turned a wooden pulley for the motor to match the ratio of the steps on the spindle pulley. It worked very well and I sold it like that. Still have my first Craftmaster boat tail, which is badged Porter Cable.
      Art Shaw
      Woodworker, thinker, tool collector & tinkerer

Comment

Originally posted by millforge View Post
        I acquired a spare boat tail Craftmaster with the close ratio 4 speed pulley and a very time consuming motor mount that allowed it to shift without changing belts. I turned a wooden pulley for the motor to match the ratio of the steps on the spindle pulley. It worked very well and I sold it like that. Still have my first Craftmaster boat tail, which is badged Porter Cable.
        so PC also sold the big craftmaster? i didnt know that!

the close ratio pulleys from the rockwell jackshaft setup matches the boat tail's headstock surprisingly, so my jackshaft has the rockwell close rario 4 speed under the headstock then the motor end has an 8 inch and a beaver 4 speed, motor has a beaver 4 speed. to use the 8 inch, i have to change the belt
        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I finally found the big one! It's quite a ways away and I probably won't take possession until next spring but the seller agreed to hold it for me................He's now my newest best friend. It looks like its in great shape.

Beaverfever1988 likes this.

Comment

Congrats! Looks to be in incredible shape.

Would love to find one of those, but odds are pretty slim in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Don’t give up. I thought the same. They are out there, and looking for good homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that looks really good, congrats!!

they are pretty rare everywhere, even here an hour away from where they were made

but keep in mind that i have seen quite few craftmaster tools listed on kijiji as mastercraft including my boattail lathe

and the really nice thing is the spindles are both mt2 and headstock thread is 1 by 8 tpi both ends, outboard is lefthand thread
                Last edited by stevem; 01-12-2021, 08:30 PM.
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I think that my shop tools are just about perfect once I get the lathe. The list includes Beaver drill press, scroll saw, 14” bandsaw, 10” radial arm saw and belt sander, Canedy Otto drill press, Delta tilty table saw, Jet 6” jointer, Wood Wizard 12” bandsaw, Delta 900 Radial Arm (converting to surface grinder), Drummond metal lathe, Logan metal lathe and Consol Grindstone.

It’s been fun to acquire, fix up, resell and upgrade. Now any more acquisitions will be strictly for resale.........::.unless a Crescent 20” bandsaw Bridgeport mill or Southbend drill press happens to become available 😊

Comment

LOL, it's never finished!!
                    i thought i was done when i had all beaver wood tools, then something came along that was bigger and rarer, cant remember which either the boattail lathe that replaced my 3400 lathe or the crescent 20 that replace the beaver 3300. or maybe the 1160 tilty that replaced the beaver 3200
                    some of my beavers will not likely be replaced, the jointer(3800), drill press(3700) or the very rare 3900 sander are very nice tools and do everything i need
                    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                      I think that my shop tools are just about perfect once I get the lathe. The list includes Beaver drill press, scroll saw, 14” bandsaw, 10” radial arm saw and belt sander, Canedy Otto drill press, Delta tilty table saw, Jet 6” jointer, Wood Wizard 12” bandsaw, Delta 900 Radial Arm (converting to surface grinder), Drummond metal lathe, Logan metal lathe and Consol Grindstone.

It’s been fun to acquire, fix up, resell and upgrade. Now any more acquisitions will be strictly for resale.........::.unless a Crescent 20” bandsaw Bridgeport mill or Southbend drill press happens to become available 😊

I was that naive once...
                      iamtooler, stevem and tool fan like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaverfever1988 View Post

I was that naive once...
                        LOL, me too!
                        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Working...