Clear All

• furious
    replied
    Looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Originally posted by stevem View Post

that one has the bent steel bed like mine had, now it has the short wood bed
    does it have morse tapers in the spindles (MT1)?
    Yeah, I know about the bed, that is why I was considering scrapping it. The spindles are solid. I could cut an MT1 in on the tailstock ram, but not sure I would do it on the spindle.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    Originally posted by tool fan View Post
    I just finished cleaning up Elroy's younger brother. I was actually thinking of scrapping this lathe until I discovered that I had an English made Multi Star Duplex chuck that had the same thread pattern as the spindle.
    that one has the bent steel bed like mine had, now it has the short wood bed
    does it have morse tapers in the spindles (MT1)?

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Cool. Very Art Deco looking.

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    I just finished cleaning up Elroy's younger brother. I was actually thinking of scrapping this lathe until I discovered that I had an English made Multi Star Duplex chuck that had the same thread pattern as the spindle.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    Originally posted by Beaverfever1988 View Post

I was that naive once...
    LOL, me too!

Leave a comment:

• Beaverfever1988
    replied
    Originally posted by tool fan View Post
    I think that my shop tools are just about perfect once I get the lathe. The list includes Beaver drill press, scroll saw, 14” bandsaw, 10” radial arm saw and belt sander, Canedy Otto drill press, Delta tilty table saw, Jet 6” jointer, Wood Wizard 12” bandsaw, Delta 900 Radial Arm (converting to surface grinder), Drummond metal lathe, Logan metal lathe and Consol Grindstone.

It’s been fun to acquire, fix up, resell and upgrade. Now any more acquisitions will be strictly for resale.........::.unless a Crescent 20” bandsaw Bridgeport mill or Southbend drill press happens to become available 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was that naive once...

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    LOL, it's never finished!!
    i thought i was done when i had all beaver wood tools, then something came along that was bigger and rarer, cant remember which either the boattail lathe that replaced my 3400 lathe or the crescent 20 that replace the beaver 3300. or maybe the 1160 tilty that replaced the beaver 3200
    some of my beavers will not likely be replaced, the jointer(3800), drill press(3700) or the very rare 3900 sander are very nice tools and do everything i need

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    I think that my shop tools are just about perfect once I get the lathe. The list includes Beaver drill press, scroll saw, 14” bandsaw, 10” radial arm saw and belt sander, Canedy Otto drill press, Delta tilty table saw, Jet 6” jointer, Wood Wizard 12” bandsaw, Delta 900 Radial Arm (converting to surface grinder), Drummond metal lathe, Logan metal lathe and Consol Grindstone.

It’s been fun to acquire, fix up, resell and upgrade. Now any more acquisitions will be strictly for resale.........::.unless a Crescent 20” bandsaw Bridgeport mill or Southbend drill press happens to become available 😊

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    that looks really good, congrats!!

they are pretty rare everywhere, even here an hour away from where they were made

but keep in mind that i have seen quite few craftmaster tools listed on kijiji as mastercraft including my boattail lathe

and the really nice thing is the spindles are both mt2 and headstock thread is 1 by 8 tpi both ends, outboard is lefthand thread
    Last edited by stevem; 01-12-2021, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Don’t give up. I thought the same. They are out there, and looking for good homes.

Leave a comment:

• furious
    replied
    Congrats! Looks to be in incredible shape.

Would love to find one of those, but odds are pretty slim in my neck of the woods.

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    I finally found the big one! It's quite a ways away and I probably won't take possession until next spring but the seller agreed to hold it for me................He's now my newest best friend. It looks like its in great shape.

Leave a comment:

• stevem
    replied
    Originally posted by millforge View Post
    I acquired a spare boat tail Craftmaster with the close ratio 4 speed pulley and a very time consuming motor mount that allowed it to shift without changing belts. I turned a wooden pulley for the motor to match the ratio of the steps on the spindle pulley. It worked very well and I sold it like that. Still have my first Craftmaster boat tail, which is badged Porter Cable.
    so PC also sold the big craftmaster? i didnt know that!

the close ratio pulleys from the rockwell jackshaft setup matches the boat tail's headstock surprisingly, so my jackshaft has the rockwell close rario 4 speed under the headstock then the motor end has an 8 inch and a beaver 4 speed, motor has a beaver 4 speed. to use the 8 inch, i have to change the belt

Leave a comment:

• millforge
    replied
    I acquired a spare boat tail Craftmaster with the close ratio 4 speed pulley and a very time consuming motor mount that allowed it to shift without changing belts. I turned a wooden pulley for the motor to match the ratio of the steps on the spindle pulley. It worked very well and I sold it like that. Still have my first Craftmaster boat tail, which is badged Porter Cable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X