Band saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about this band saw? I'd like to find out where it was built and by who. I recently got it before it went for scrap and can find no name on it and havent found anything similar anywhere.The wheels are 30" , made of wood with steel spokes and hub.
    There was a wooden table on it but I removed it for now. There is a weight (on the floor in the pic) for tensioning the blade, I think...
    Any info or ideas would be appreciated
    MilesH and QC Inspector like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Band saw

nice, glad to see it rescued
    no oiodea what it is though!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

cute saw !

looks like it has no place for a motor so it was originally connected to lineshafting where the shop had one motor to run everything.
      Guarding is for wimps ;-)
      Last edited by stickman; 02-22-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Any guess on an age to it?
        Thanks for the message

Comment

I'm guessing that the saw was made in the 1800's. The wheels look like they belong on a buggy, the kind they used to pull around with horses. And a weight on a string to tension the blade, that sounds medieval. That saw is ancient!

Comment

Thanks for your input!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

It definitely qualifies as a cool tool

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! Cool looking saw you have there. No idea about age or manufacturer other than what Rory said above.

There is a group in the States called OWWM.org that have a similar forum dedicated to old (mostly) American made tools with a companion website called http://www.vintagemachinery.org

The later is a fantastic resource of pictures, history and occasionally product drawings, cut sheets and parts lists. On Vintage Machinery you might find another bandsaw similar to yours. Also, they too are very willing to help and between us and that site, I'm sure someone with the background will chime in.

Out of curiosity, were you thinking of rehabilitating the machine?

Good luck with your search!

Comment

The plan is to get it running again,we will get it cleaned up and see about a motor for it and make it safe. The thought of it running without some sort of guard over the wheels makes me nervous.
                  Thank you for the link, I'll look into it.
                  I got the saw from a guy who had it for about 20 years and was going to restore it but didnt get to it,it sat in his barn until I got it.
                  Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                    And a weight on a string to tension the blade, that sounds medieval. That saw is ancient!
                    Ha ha indeed. I can imagine this saw being used to cut out the parts for building a trebuchet to batter through the castle walls. Excellent.

Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X