Clear All

Re: I just picked up a Wadkin LQ for the shop

Cover and first page:
    Attached Files
    J Vann likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

You might have some fun getting the old bushing out of the spindle. I tried for weeks to get one out, in the end I took it to a machinist who turned it out
      www.wadkinrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by wallace1973 View Post
        You might have some fun getting the old bushing out of the spindle. I tried for weeks to get one out, in the end I took it to a machinist who turned it out
        I was lucky here- though the machine had sat for a long time the bushing came out with a couple of raps with a plastic mallet.
        timberframe likes this.

Comment

Well- as luck would have it I had a bit of a setback in other areas and I have just now gotten to setting the Wadkin to sorts.
          I am finishing up a functional rebuild- that is I am setting all mechanics to good operating condition.

So-

-I tore down the spindle, cleaned and went with Kluber grease on the bearings.

-I fixed a couple of nuisance problems such as a sticky motor travel.

-I took off all the tables right down to removing the knee, completely tore them down and cleaned and lubed all mechanics and ways.

So I am just today going out to the shop to get the main table cleaned up and set in place then reinstall all the screws and small parts.
          I am hugely encouraged- I have been around machinery for a long time and find the Wadkin build quality and design to be excellent.
          Every part I had to work on is proper kit and with returning to clean and well lubed condition I expect to have a very nice to use machine tool to add to my shops equipment.

I did have one stumble removing the sub table- the Y axis stop bar made it nearly impossible to get the way rail caps off and I fought for a couple of hours to finesse the parts apart cursing the designers for not simply placing a couple of Allen cap screws "right here" to make this possible.

Well got it off and dragged it over to the parts washer, got all cleaned up and commenced to reverse the process and finesse it back on- coming on 8:00 pm on a Sunday night..
          Well I glance inside the rail as I am fighting with it and "Right There" where they should be are a set of Allen cap screws to make taking the rail off and working on the table a lark instead of a battle.
          The parts washer had gotten off the crud which had covered the screws...

One thing I have learned (and forgot last night..) is if when working on good quality machinery you find yourself fighting with it you are doing it wrong...

I will get some photos uploaded of the rebuild process

I will make up a fence/clamp and more of the X axis capture stops as I have just one.
          Last edited by Thomas Rick; 09-06-2021, 06:49 AM.
          timberframe likes this.

Comment

I don't know why this never occurred to me- threads on the Wadkin?

The damn British.........

So I will need to sort out how to address the table clamp issue- I was thinking a standard mill table dog down kit would serve but it will not.
            I have a need to replace the fine thread bolt which secures the slide slug in the motor arm and will need to scare that as well.

A associated problem is that to try to control chips on ways (I mill primarily teak which is silica laden and therefore somewhat abrasive) I want to get a bunch of plastic Allen key plugs for the threaded holes in table when not used.
            To source in US in .......

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Rick View Post
              I don't know why this never occurred to me- threads on the Wadkin?

The damn British.........

So I will need to sort out how to address the table clamp issue- I was thinking a standard mill table dog down kit would serve but it will not.
              Yup, 1/2" BSW 12tpi 55 degree threads in your table. So you'll probably need to make your own studs, 1/2" BSW one end, and the rest in whatever your dog kit requires.

Before you go down that path you might want to check the condition of the existing threaded holes. The threaded holes in my LP recessor table are in reasonable condition, but the ones in the table of my PK dimension saw are munted. If your table's holes are worn you could consider tapping them out to 9/16" BSW or UNC - both of which are also 12tpi.

I have 1/2" BSW stocks and dies - if there's anything I can do to help, let me know (but don't be in a hurry - I have many priorities - and my wife has more for me ).

Cheers, Vann.

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

Comment

OK- Vann that is very helpful.
                Lets say meet this afternoon in Annapolis MD- bring your tap!

Well... the table threads are in good shape and I have this reluctance to alter OEM so will keep things as are.
                I have a goodly assortment of threaded rod and clamps etc.
                I have been thinking a dog clamp kit was as easy as just buying kit and getting to work but will just make do to get this running.
                At this point I am now thinking to order a couple of sticks of the appropriate threaded rod and making up the needed bits.

I really need to inventory the tooling I have and build a cabinet behind the mill to stow things in so I can start to turn to the Wadkin immediately when I have a bit of work for it.
                I shop is supposed to be a working affair not a museum as is starts to feel like when I get involved in these old machine repairs..

So progress on the mill- DONE!
                I have done my first cut on a bit of aluminum and will post on the working of the Wadkin soon as I get a real workpiece setup.

I got everything put back to rights and the mill is a working machine again- the tables are completely free gliding and all is well.
                I am currently shopping for an appropriate DRO and will mount I believe scales on all axis plus the quill.
                I just sent a request along to Maritool here in the US for a er collet holder with a custom arbor to fit the Wadkin.

So a photo of the most torn down state- the quill at this point has already been rebuilt:
                Last edited by Thomas Rick; 09-08-2021, 05:04 AM.

Comment

OK- the Wadkin is going on line.
                  Setting up for the first work piece;

Comment

Well I am thrilled.
                    The Wadkin is doing exactly what I wished by taking that work which is too large for the small vertical mill and too time consuming to fixture for on the bench.
                    Here is the a Sapele round getting prepared to be a steering pedestal base.
                    In the last photo I am getting ready to cut for an inlet bronze wear strip.
                    Last edited by Thomas Rick; 09-14-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Nice!

What spindle speeds are you using for that work? My little LP has just two speeds - 2000 and 4000 rpm (or will have when I complete the rebuild). I'm not sure whether to fit mine with a VFD or not (would prefer to keep it original - and suspect it's original 1925 motor might not like a VFD anyway).

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Vann- I will note the motor speeds and pulley diameters when I get out to shop.
                        The speeds are a bit of a mystery to me just now between the belt changes and the two motor speeds....

I am betting I am using 2k and 4 but can't be sure..

Comment

Ok- the motor is the original Wadkins three phase 2hp two speed.

3440/1700 rpm

The motor wheels are 3-3/4” and 5”

The spindle wheels are 2-1/4” and 4-1/2”

I was doing that work with belt on 5” motor side and 4-1/2” spindle side switching between high and low speed as I change out tooling diameter.

I have been crossing the belts as I have set this up so getting four spindle speeds on each motor setting.

i don’t know if this is the intention.

I have been shy of using highest spindle speeds till the bearing repack job runs in and I get a feel for how the motor and spindle is behaving.

I will consult the documents and assess.
                          I used the Kluber NBU 15 for the bearing repack and my question now is if this high quality modern grease permits a ‘lifetime’ lube on bearings or if I should keep renewing as per maintenance schedule via the zerk fittings.

edit-

looking through the manuals it only lists a single motor RPM at 3600 so it appears the two speed motor is a later change than this documentation?
                          Last edited by Thomas Rick; 09-15-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Rick View Post
                            ...edit-

looking through the manuals it only lists a single motor RPM at 3600 so it appears the two speed motor is a later change than this documentation?
                            I'm fairly sure two spindle speeds are standard. Without reference to catalogues etc IIRC the LQ had a few speed range variations over the years and I think a two speed motor giving four spindle speeds was an option.

If you have two diameters on the motor, as well as the two on the spindle pulley - and a two speed motor, that would give you eight spindle speeds!!! I'll have to look through some catalogues when I get home.

I'm surprised Wadkin didn't adjust the motor pulley size for the north American market to compensate for the different hertz, to give the same spindle speeds as other markets.

Cheers, Vann.

Comment

Vann- thanks for that.
                              My manual does describe the two realized motor speeds re- htz.

This is the motor tag.

And the workpiece is about to come off the mill and get cleaned up:

Comment

1936 catalogue suggests two spindle speeds - 3500 and 7000 rpm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ 1936 cat.png Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	1342231 1936 cat.

The 1957 and 1958 catalogues show four spindle speeds - 2000, 3000, 4000 & 6000 rpm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ 1957 cat.png Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	1342232 1957 cat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ 1958 cat.png Views:	0 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	1342234 1958 cat.

Both the manuals I've found show the same fours speeds - 2000, 3000, 4000 & 6000 rpm. I can't date the manuals, but as they both include metric measurements I'd suggest late 1950s at the earliest and more likely 1960s or 1970s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ man.png Views:	0 Size:	246.0 KB ID:	1342233 Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ man2.png Views:	0 Size:	357.5 KB ID:	1342235

The manuals both have this table outlining how those speeds are obtained.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ speeds.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	1342230
                                The table suggests two spindle pulley diametres, of 4 1/2" and 2 1/4". And four!! motor pulley diameters, of 3", 4 1/2", 4 3/4" & 6 1/4". And it seems that the belt does not have to run parallel, but can run various combinations. That suggests to me that there are eight possible pulley combinations - add to that a two-speed motor and you have 16 possible spindle speeds.

I'm confused - and I don't have access to an LQ to verify any of the above.

Cheers, Vann.
                                Last edited by J Vann; 09-16-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X